Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: 10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)

    10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge

    Just started this workout:

    https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10...lebell-workout

    Trying to get a jump on New Years, and shed the fat I gained during the fall. Coupling this with LeanGains Intermittent Fasting.

    Has anyone had any experience with kettlebell swings? Trying to lose 5% body fat by January.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,269
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    What % body fat are you at right now? Unless really high that is a lofty goal in a month especially with all the eating that is done this time of year. Fat loss is done in the kitchen, so in addition to the workouts, ensure your diet is in check.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    What % body fat are you at right now? Unless really high that is a lofty goal in a month especially with all the eating that is done this time of year. Fat loss is done in the kitchen, so in addition to the workouts, ensure your diet is in check.
    The eye test would put me at about 20%. I was below 15% over the summer, and it's been a rough fall in terms of diet.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Starting with a 40 lb KB, I'll be increasing it by 5 lbs each week. Finished day one on Monday, and day two today.

    Workout plan as follows:

    Monday
    500 KB swings
    50 Tricep extensions w/ dumbbell

    Tuesday
    Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Face Pulls
    100 KB Swings

    Wednesday
    500 KB Swings
    50 Goblet Squats

    Thursday
    500 KB Swings
    50 Weighted Chinups

    Friday
    Overhead Press
    Deadlifts
    Face Pulls
    100 KB Swings

    Saturday
    500 KB Swings

    Sunday
    Rest

    The results are supposed to be amazing, and I'm no longer focused on hitting weight PRs, but to cut, so I can manage my diet better. I'll be done by the last week of December, just in time for New Years when I can either go more cut, or clean bulk.

  5. #5
    Dappered Veteran shad0w4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Starting with a 40 lb KB, I'll be increasing it by 5 lbs each week. Finished day one on Monday, and day two today.

    Workout plan as follows:

    Monday
    500 KB swings
    50 Tricep extensions w/ dumbbell

    Tuesday
    Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Face Pulls
    100 KB Swings

    Wednesday
    500 KB Swings
    50 Goblet Squats

    Thursday
    500 KB Swings
    50 Weighted Chinups

    Friday
    Overhead Press
    Deadlifts
    Face Pulls
    100 KB Swings

    Saturday
    500 KB Swings

    Sunday
    Rest

    The results are supposed to be amazing, and I'm no longer focused on hitting weight PRs, but to cut, so I can manage my diet better. I'll be done by the last week of December, just in time for New Years when I can either go more cut, or clean bulk.
    That seems rather over the top and you will get burnt out

    You could probably do some compound exercises at maximal intensity and get results with far less time spent swinging a weight Eg. Clean & Jerk, Front Squats, Weighted Pullups, Bent over dips, Deadlifts, Pendlay Rows

    I did IF and got a 6 pack(you can go search for my half nekkid body if you want to question it) took about 3 months and it was all heavy weight with pyramid structure trying to keep reps 6-10 range(eg. 100lbsx9, 90lbsx7, 80lbsx6) 45mins tops in gym.

    with IF, when he says low carb on non workout days, really stick to that. Along with Meal delivery timing, even on workout days, eat carb meals AFTER the gym, not before.

    GL!

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    That seems rather over the top and you will get burnt out

    You could probably do some compound exercises at maximal intensity and get results with far less time spent swinging a weight Eg. Clean & Jerk, Front Squats, Weighted Pullups, Bent over dips, Deadlifts, Pendlay Rows

    I did IF and got a 6 pack(you can go search for my half nekkid body if you want to question it) took about 3 months and it was all heavy weight with pyramid structure trying to keep reps 6-10 range(eg. 100lbsx9, 90lbsx7, 80lbsx6) 45mins tops in gym.

    with IF, when he says low carb on non workout days, really stick to that. Along with Meal delivery timing, even on workout days, eat carb meals AFTER the gym, not before.

    GL!
    I know what you're saying, it's a ton of swings. But, it's only for a month, so I don't see myself burning out. I've done Smolov before, and that gassed me like no other. This should be cake compared to that. But I do plan on doing something like Berkhan's RPT once I finish this program, if I decide to cut more. Or Smolov Jr again for Squats/Bench, if I want to hate my life more.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    True, 5% is the goal, but no way do I expect to get there. I'll be eating at a deficit, and my lifts in between KB workouts will be maintenance of just a few reps of 85~90% of my max. Nothing too intense. As long as I drop a belt size or two, and lose maybe 10 lbs, I'll be pretty happy.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,269
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    True, 5% is the goal, but no way do I expect to get there. I'll be eating at a deficit, and my lifts in between KB workouts will be maintenance of just a few reps of 85~90% of my max. Nothing too intense. As long as I drop a belt size or two, and lose maybe 10 lbs, I'll be pretty happy.
    It's important to set realistic goals. Normal/healthy weight loss is around 2-3 lbs per week. You should be able to get there. The one thing to keep in mind with constant repetition type exercises is eventually you will plateau. If so then switch it up.

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,499
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    It's important to set realistic goals. Normal/healthy weight loss is around 2-3 lbs per week. You should be able to get there. The one thing to keep in mind with constant repetition type exercises is eventually you will plateau. If so then switch it up.
    Yup, I'm pretty optimistic about reaching my weight goal. Doc told me to lose 10-15 lbs by the next visit, and I expect to be there by then. The great thing about this workout is that it only lasts 4-5 weeks, dependent on how many workouts per week you do. And because I'll be increasing the weight of the kettlebell each week, the amount of time to do each workout should be consistently between 60-75 minutes, and plateauing shouldn't be an issue for such a short period of time. I'll update this thread to log my progress. Week 1 is just a feeler week, so I haven't timed myself, nor weighed myself/taken pics. Sunday will be the starting point, with 2200 swings under my belt, and hopefully I'll hit 10k by Christmas.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Your doctor told you to lose 10-15 lbs by next visit (query if that's an annual checkup) and you are potentially around 20% BF%? In my reasonably informed but wholly amateur opinion, that doesn't seem to line up with what most doctors would expect/say, unless you're focused on a particular performance goal and your doctor is on board with that or there's some other unknown factor.

    EDIT: Not trying to be combative, just curious.
    Last edited by hornsup84; November 25th, 2015 at 04:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •