Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Bumpin' this thread up since it's the most recent fitness-related one I can find.

I have a surgery coming up in April that will have the best results if I'm as close as possible to ideal bodyfat %, so I've been buttoning down and focusing on diet and fitness a lot since the holidays. I did this kettlebell swing stuff a little bit in December - not the full, everyday challenge, but every other day or so - which got me on the track of pursuing a more HIIT-oriented fitness regime (versus the occasional powerlifting and jogging I was doing for general health maintenance previously).

Since I started with about 90 days to surgery, I did some googling around for a 90-day fitness plan and this one popped up right away. It's almost exactly what I was looking for since it's a body recomposition plan, i.e. primarily focused on cutting body fat while maintaining lean mass and improving cardio endurance. I've been working out pretty regularly for about 6 weeks now but I'm only on week 2 of this plan. So far I'm liking it a lot, especially the HIIT cardio days, which for me are a lot less miserable than simply jogging a few miles.

As for diet, I've been doing basic calorie restriction (tracked using the LoseIt iPhone app) while trying to maximize my protein and fiber intake within my limitations. A favorite new food is this pumpkin pie protein smoothie I found on Men's Health - it's kind of a perfect food for me, as it's got 30g of protein (I only do one scoop of protein powder because I find two is sickeningly sweet), 20g of fiber, feels very filling/satisfying, and tastes like pie. That's become my go-to lunch. Otherwise I am eating a lot of oatmeal with yogurt and fruit, eggs with avocado, roasted veggies, etc. But I've also been indulging in things like pizza and donuts when it fits my calorie budget.

I've lost about 7 lbs since Christmas. I'm starting to see some changes in how my pants fit and more muscle definition in my shoulders, back, and arms, so I'm pretty confident that I'm on the right track.
    That sounds great! I started a protein sparing modified fast, which isn't for everyone. My version of it is one meal a day of meat and veggies, and carbs only on lifting days, and zero carbs on non-lifting days. Vegetables don't count towards carb intake. The rest of my nutrition is from protein shakes and Quest/Mission1 protein bars (high in fiber). I've done it for the last two weeks, and have steadily been dropping pounds and body fat like never before. I plan on doing it for 6 weeks total, while slowly transitioning to real food. I've also started on the LeanGains reverse pyramid training workout, with kettlebell sessions post workout and on two of the off days. Trying to get back to sub 10% bodyfat by May (eye test puts me at around 18 - 20%).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Bumpin' this thread up since it's the most recent fitness-related one I can find.

I have a surgery coming up in April that will have the best results if I'm as close as possible to ideal bodyfat %, so I've been buttoning down and focusing on diet and fitness a lot since the holidays. I did this kettlebell swing stuff a little bit in December - not the full, everyday challenge, but every other day or so - which got me on the track of pursuing a more HIIT-oriented fitness regime (versus the occasional powerlifting and jogging I was doing for general health maintenance previously).

Since I started with about 90 days to surgery, I did some googling around for a 90-day fitness plan and this one popped up right away. It's almost exactly what I was looking for since it's a body recomposition plan, i.e. primarily focused on cutting body fat while maintaining lean mass and improving cardio endurance. I've been working out pretty regularly for about 6 weeks now but I'm only on week 2 of this plan. So far I'm liking it a lot, especially the HIIT cardio days, which for me are a lot less miserable than simply jogging a few miles.

As for diet, I've been doing basic calorie restriction (tracked using the LoseIt iPhone app) while trying to maximize my protein and fiber intake within my limitations. A favorite new food is this pumpkin pie protein smoothie I found on Men's Health - it's kind of a perfect food for me, as it's got 30g of protein (I only do one scoop of protein powder because I find two is sickeningly sweet), 20g of fiber, feels very filling/satisfying, and tastes like pie. That's become my go-to lunch. Otherwise I am eating a lot of oatmeal with yogurt and fruit, eggs with avocado, roasted veggies, etc. But I've also been indulging in things like pizza and donuts when it fits my calorie budget.

I've lost about 7 lbs since Christmas. I'm starting to see some changes in how my pants fit and more muscle definition in my shoulders, back, and arms, so I'm pretty confident that I'm on the right track.
    Sounds good, keep up the pace. I recently added an Airdyne-style fan bike to Bourbon Family Fitness (our garage gym) and I'm REALLY loving it for HIIT, maximal effort. You can usually find them for STUPID cheap on Craigslist, and it's such a simple machine that the used ones should work just fine. Highly recommend for those like me who hate to run.