Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 10k Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moelman View Post
    I think kettlebell swings can be a great starting point for someone, as long as they practice proper form. It's one of the best bang-for-your-buck exercises, so it might appeal to a beginner more or just someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time exercising, and anything that gets people into the gym is usually good.
    Agreed. If you had to pick a single full body movement that requires minimal equipment while increasing strength and muscle while burning fat, the two handed swing is a great choice. If you're looking to change your routine, or challenge yourself for a month, or even are just getting into fitness and want to dip a toe in without a gym membership or investment in equipment, grab a kb and get to work, amigo.

That said, I have a full power rack and a pair of PowerBlock U90s in my garage. It's a lot of space devoted to equipment down at this end of the rabbit hole...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBourbon View Post
    Agreed. If you had to pick a single full body movement that requires minimal equipment while increasing strength and muscle while burning fat, the two handed swing is a great choice. If you're looking to change your routine, or challenge yourself for a month, or even are just getting into fitness and want to dip a toe in without a gym membership or investment in equipment, grab a kb and get to work, amigo.

That said, I have a full power rack and a pair of PowerBlock U90s in my garage. It's a lot of space devoted to equipment down at this end of the rabbit hole...
    I'm going to disagree. No other exercise recruits more muscle, builds more muscle, and boosts both testosterone and GH production than the barbell squat. There's a reason why they call the squat the King of all exercises.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbook View Post
    I'm going to disagree. No other exercise recruits more muscle, builds more muscle, and boosts both testosterone and GH production than the barbell squat. There's a reason why they call the squat the King of all exercises.
    +1. This is why Smolov is so amazing. You burn so much fat, while attaining crazy amounts of strength and muscle. I was going to transition back into Smolov Jr. after a month of swinging. I decided to do KBs because I was just so bored of back squatting 2-3x per week, alternating bench press with overhead, and deadlifts once a week. Wanted something fresh and new, and then go right back into building strength and muscle back.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    +1. This is why Smolov is so amazing. You burn so much fat, while attaining crazy amounts of strength and muscle. I was going to transition back into Smolov Jr. after a month of swinging. I decided to do KBs because I was just so bored of back squatting 2-3x per week, alternating bench press with overhead, and deadlifts once a week. Wanted something fresh and new, and then go right back into building strength and muscle back.
    That's cool. I suppose, though, if I were in your position, after doing Smolov (which, I'm way to weaksauce to really commit to), I'd be worried that I'd be losing a lot of strength/adaptation after a month of doing primarily swing/core movements. I would probably keep to the same programming and instead add in some HIIT, maybe two times a week, post-resistance training, to minimize any potential muscle loss while maximizing fat burn.

But then again, sometimes a break can be totally beneficial to get you to break through to the next level. Just so long as one knows that, for totally optimal lean mass/strength/fat burn gains, a barbell-centric program is their best friend, which you seem to realize.

Sorry, I'm pretty passionate about strength sports, despite not being at an elite level. I've gone through a lot of trial and error in regards to programming and I always come back to the same conclusions.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    No disagreement here: I said "great" exercise, not "best". I agree the squat is king and for good reason, but the space and equipment required (yours or a gyms) are an order of magnitude above a kettlebell.

For a single piece of equipment (and the workout the thread is about) kettlebells are tough to beat. Up there with jump rope and pull up bar

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    That's cool. I suppose, though, if I were in your position, after doing Smolov (which, I'm way to weaksauce to really commit to), I'd be worried that I'd be losing a lot of strength/adaptation after a month of doing primarily swing/core movements. I would probably keep to the same programming and instead add in some HIIT, maybe two times a week, post-resistance training, to minimize any potential muscle loss while maximizing fat burn.

But then again, sometimes a break can be totally beneficial to get you to break through to the next level. Just so long as one knows that, for totally optimal lean mass/strength/fat burn gains, a barbell-centric program is their best friend, which you seem to realize.

Sorry, I'm pretty passionate about strength sports, despite not being at an elite level. I've gone through a lot of trial and error in regards to programming and I always come back to the same conclusions.
    I completely understand. Over the summer, I was all about strength gains, and I never gained much fat the entire summer even though I'd eat a ton. Squat everyday workout from Bodybuilding.com for three weeks to jump start, then went right into a Smolov Jr. for squats routine. Then went back to 3x5 progressive loading routine after hitting a PR in squats to balance the rest of my lifts. But the past 3 months haven't been very kind. Added a full time load of school on top of the 60+ hour workdays. So I've been a zombie these past few months, and my lifting routines have been sucking and sporadic at best. Motivation has been at a low. So, just wanted to back off and do something different, so that I'm at least doing something. Then when I get more free time, which I will after next week, I can jump right back into something until the school session starts again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    I completely understand. Over the summer, I was all about strength gains, and I never gained much fat the entire summer even though I'd eat a ton. Squat everyday workout from Bodybuilding.com for three weeks to jump start, then went right into a Smolov Jr. for squats routine. Then went back to 3x5 progressive loading routine after hitting a PR in squats to balance the rest of my lifts. But the past 3 months haven't been very kind. Added a full time load of school on top of the 60+ hour workdays. So I've been a zombie these past few months, and my lifting routines have been sucking and sporadic at best. Motivation has been at a low. So, just wanted to back off and do something different, so that I'm at least doing something. Then when I get more free time, which I will after next week, I can jump right back into something until the school session starts again.
    Damn. Well, that sucks. I can relate, though. When workloads get heavy, the first thing to go always seem to be gym routines/energy levels. I'm one of those guys that cuts out social life before my gym life, though. Not sure if that's much better, when I think about it.

Anyways, best of luck. I'll be curious to hear how it works out for you, so post some updates. If there's positive carryover, that'd be good to know about.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Damn. Well, that sucks. I can relate, though. When workloads get heavy, the first thing to go always seem to be gym routines/energy levels. I'm one of those guys that cuts out social life before my gym life, though. Not sure if that's much better, when I think about it.

Anyways, best of luck. I'll be curious to hear how it works out for you, so post some updates. If there's positive carryover, that'd be good to know about.
    I need to cut everything out too, and get back on the wagon. A few more days of hell, and I'll have my gym time back.

And yup, will do, thanks. Gotta nail down this diet again. I did IF with IIFYM over the summer, and it worked wonders, but it was such a pain lol..Just got to do it I guess or else forever stuck in this not fat, but not cut.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

To the guy who quoted me and then deleted his post:

- It's not a barbell-centric program; Any real resistance programming worth its salt, especially for beginners, should be based on barbell training. If for nothing else, it allows novice lifters to build a strong base at which point then they can branch off and mess with their own programming; if that includes KB training, that's fine, but it certainly shouldn't be the starting off point for anyone. You're more likely to see better results squatting, pulling, and pressing consistently at heavy loads while watching your macro counts over the course of a month than you are swinging a kettlebell.

- Linear progression programs might be boring, but they work. There's a reason why most real programs for novices start with them. Also, if being entertained or "not bored" is what motivates you to work out, I think your priorities need to be adjusted.
    I deleted my comment as I wasn't looking for a pissing contest. However, you called Dan John's program "broscience," which is absurd. Dan John is one of the most highly respected people in the strength industry. As for your quote above, you put a lot of words in my mouth

I never called it a barbell "centric" program, nor did I say it was for novices/beginners. I said the program includes barbell training with hypertrophy and conditioning. I also never said this was better than a standard LP program. The 10k KB Swing Program is for guys who have a decent amount of strength training under their belts, and are looking for a short term challenge as a break from a regular LP program.

As for the program, I've done it and it busted my ass. My main lift PRs all went up after the program, my conditioning and grip went through the roof, and I lost about 10 pounds of fat. If you've never done the program, then it's not really fair to call it wack.

And yes, I agree with you that progressing in the main lifts is extremely important, but this challenge will produce far better short term aesthetic results than an LP. That's the goal of this program, short term results to improve your overall conditioning. As for priorities, when you've been lifting for 15 years, breaking up the staleness of an LP is perfectly normal. Sometimes, I like to work on squatting my bodyweight 20+ reps; sometimes, I focus on increasing my weighted chins, and so forth.

Like I said, didn't want to start a measuring contest, but the program works. your opinions are correct in relation to novices, but we disagree on the rest

Side note: we definitely agree on the cargo pants ( I saw your post on the other thread). I've got a couple pair, both slim fit; one is army-ish green (H&M), the other camo (Old Navy). With a nice v-neck tee and some vans or cap toe Tims, or a nice cardigan. I'm with you there, my man.
    Last edited by APinNC; December 11th, 2015 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2082 Post(s)
    Bumpin' this thread up since it's the most recent fitness-related one I can find.

I have a surgery coming up in April that will have the best results if I'm as close as possible to ideal bodyfat %, so I've been buttoning down and focusing on diet and fitness a lot since the holidays. I did this kettlebell swing stuff a little bit in December - not the full, everyday challenge, but every other day or so - which got me on the track of pursuing a more HIIT-oriented fitness regime (versus the occasional powerlifting and jogging I was doing for general health maintenance previously).

Since I started with about 90 days to surgery, I did some googling around for a 90-day fitness plan and this one popped up right away. It's almost exactly what I was looking for since it's a body recomposition plan, i.e. primarily focused on cutting body fat while maintaining lean mass and improving cardio endurance. I've been working out pretty regularly for about 6 weeks now but I'm only on week 2 of this plan. So far I'm liking it a lot, especially the HIIT cardio days, which for me are a lot less miserable than simply jogging a few miles.

As for diet, I've been doing basic calorie restriction (tracked using the LoseIt iPhone app) while trying to maximize my protein and fiber intake within my limitations. A favorite new food is this pumpkin pie protein smoothie I found on Men's Health - it's kind of a perfect food for me, as it's got 30g of protein (I only do one scoop of protein powder because I find two is sickeningly sweet), 20g of fiber, feels very filling/satisfying, and tastes like pie. That's become my go-to lunch. Otherwise I am eating a lot of oatmeal with yogurt and fruit, eggs with avocado, roasted veggies, etc. But I've also been indulging in things like pizza and donuts when it fits my calorie budget.

I've lost about 7 lbs since Christmas. I'm starting to see some changes in how my pants fit and more muscle definition in my shoulders, back, and arms, so I'm pretty confident that I'm on the right track.
    Ben