Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)

tell me everything i need to know about cuffing wool pants

never done it before, but just got a nice pair of howard yount flannel pants. i had avoided it because i thought cuffing was mostly for taller people...is that true?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I'm 5'7" I cuff my dark wash jeans and sometimes my chino's... I guess I'd have to see a reference of people cuffing pants, but I don't think you have to be tall for it to look good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    Its not about how tall you are but rather your proportions. Guys with proportionally long legs will cuff to visually shorten the legs and give a more balanced profile. Guys with very long torsos and short legs (like Michael Phelps) would avoid cuffing as it will make them look even more imbalanced. Regular proportioned people can cuff or not cuff, I think at that point it is more a matter of preference.

Check out Phelps here: https://throwingthesideeye.files.wor.../09/boys2.jpeg Notice he's quite tall (6'4" I think) but his waist is lower than the more normal Ryan Lochte while his shoulders are still a good couple inches higher.

What does that mean? It means he should avoid low-rise pants or cuffed pants, which will both shorten his legs further in relation to his abnormally long torso. See also: http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-con...se/image04.png vs http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-con...se/image03.png

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    @DapperTexan has a good explanation. To me the cuff creates a visual break and does shorten the length of legs. I'm not a fan of cuffing. All the older (50s-60s) men in my office have old pleated pants with cuffs and I just associate cuffs with an older look.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    never done it before, but just got a nice pair of howard yount flannel pants. i had avoided it because i thought cuffing was mostly for taller people...is that true?
    Howard yount generally had a higher rise which should offset the cuff in terms of perceived height, at least to an extent.

Try going with a 1.5" cuff instead of the 2" that is so popular right now. I go tapered and no break with cuffed pants. If you don't like the look there is plenty of fabric left over to go no cuff.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecharlesg View Post
    Howard yount generally had a higher rise which should offset the cuff in terms of perceived height, at least to an extent.

Try going with a 1.5" cuff instead of the 2" that is so popular right now. I go tapered and no break with cuffed pants. If you don't like the look there is plenty of fabric left over to go no cuff.
    I would second this suggestion. I've experimented with some cuffing from Land's End trousers and there is some break in the pants, which I dislike. I am currently waiting to have them hemmed up to no break- it is just a way better look with cuffs. Break + cuffs just looks sloppy to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    I'm 5-6 with a 26 1/4" inseam, so I have shorter legs....guess I shouldn't cuff

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    I'm 5-6 with a 26 1/4" inseam, so I have shorter legs....guess I shouldn't cuff
    I'm 6'1/2" and a 29 inseam. As much as I like the look of cuffs (and the weight helps drape and movement), I generally don't have them on my pants.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    I disagree with the generic guidelines typically given on cuffs and height. I think the rise and break of the trouser affects the balance between the legs and torso infinitely more than the cuff.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)
    Pardon me, I'm bumping this post.

I'm getting ready to purchase a pair of wool flannel trousers for this fall/winter season and I am highly considering having them cuffed. The look of cuffed flannel, especially with suede or boots, really appeals to me. I currently do not have any of my trousers cuffed (I cuff jeans and chinos) and I wear them with a slight contemporary break. The general consensus on this thread though seemed to be cuff = no break. Which I agree with the statement that it does look sloppy. But then I saw this picture posted in another thread.
    http://chattypics.com/files/Butler_tcsuyyvd9b.jpg
    It seems this gentlemen has a slight break? Would this still be considered sloppy? My main concern with going cuffed with no break is that it will throw off my proportions too much. I'm 6' with a 31.5" Inseam, however the pants I'm looking at have a medium high rise. Can anyone speak to the wiser on that? I also agree with cuffed trousers generally look better with a good taper. Would a 16" opening be too less of a taper to go cuffed no break? Thank you all!