Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Help me pick a watch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Vintage Omega

Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @Hyvasuomi79 I do not own either of the watches you linked in your post. However based on your earlier comments of wanting a watch that was/is a little slimmer, I think you will be happy with your new purchase. I look forward to hearing/reading all about it.

@as9934 Great info on the vintage Omega. I am looking for a watch like this myself. I am just scared/nervous to make the purchase off eBay since I don't know what I'm getting. Would be nice to see the watch in person.
    Hi Doc Dave,

I purchased a vintage (but refinished) Omega Constellation pie pan off of a reputable on-line dealer about a year ago. I decided to go the refinished route since I didn't know enough about vintage watches. As I started to learn more, I discovered a sub forum dedicated to vintage Omegas. There is one thread where they discuss genuine buys off ebay. Additionally, people consistently get advice on the authenticity of specific Omega vintage watches they are interested in purchasing. Many expert members offer their advice on the specific watches.

Forum members also sell their watches. If you are truly interested this site may be an interesting place to spend some time.

Main subforum:

https://omegaforums.net/forums/vinta...and-advice.23/

Thread discussing genuine ebay watches:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/reco...nquiries.1790/

You may already have seen those sites, but if you haven't enjoy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by as9934 View Post

Frederique Constant Slimline
    ($375 @ Jomashop)
    A super thin watch that has an in-house automatic movement. Very classy.
    Just a slight nitpick... but just wanted to clarify....

FC slimline autos generally run close to almost 1000 and their in house movement is even more....

If you see any for under 500-600, they are most likely the 200 model that runs quartz.

Their 300 level model will start to be automatic but that should run less than 1000 while their 700 model will actually be their in house running I'm guessing upwards to 2000.

Just didn't want anyone to purchase the quartz model thinking their getting an automatic movement......

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    @NJ Bears Fan thanks for the links. I was not aware and I'll definitely check it out. How do you like your refurbished watch by the way? Any issues/complaints? Anything you'd have done differently now that you know more?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    @NJ Bears Fan thanks for the links. I was not aware and I'll definitely check it out. How do you like your refurbished watch by the way? Any issues/complaints? Anything you'd have done differently now that you know more?
    No real complaints. I don't have large wrists but it took a while to get use to the 34mm dial. Setting the date on my particular watch is more of a pain than the quick set features on all my other watches. It's also not quite as accurate as my other automatics. For the most part, this refinished watch performs like a new watch in the 8 months or so I have owned it. I wear it probably once a week. I purchased it off of Tim Mackrain a well known watch maker who specialized in vintage Omega's. He goes by Omega Addict on-line and ebay.

Looking back, I may have reconsidered purchasing a refinished watch. As I have learned- a refinished watch no matter how well it has been done puts you in a strange middle zone. What I mean is that from the enthusiast/collector's perspective its not a vintage watch. The dial often has been refinished which means it has been repainted. The case has been polished which causes a loss of some of the sharp details. Some re-finishers may replace the hands, the crown, or the crystal.

From a non-collector perspective, these watches are much more delicate- no water resistance at all. Need perhaps more servicing than a modern automatic. They also don't have the "wow" factor a modern Omega may have. So neither enthusiasts or average "Joe" appreciates the watch. Only the owner. This can be a factor down the road if you want to sell.

One day, I may just get a well maintained vintage watch that hasn't been refinished. Not sure if I am ready yet. I would look for a watch that has not had the dial refinished since that obviously is the most important part of determining the value of the watch. The second most important thing is how much the case has been polished. If you are interested in a refinished watch check out Omega Addict. He is a watch maker and fully discloses what he's done to each watch. So you know what you're getting- which is more than most ebay/internet sellers provide.

A couple of other reading sources. This is a blog written by a frequent participant of many watch forums. It's frequently referenced. Perhaps too much info:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

Off of this blog, I have archive this document which discusses what to look for in vintage Omega Constellations. The "Conny" especially the "pie-pan" is perhaps the most popular of vintage Omega's. This is a quick read and really gives practical advice on things to look for in a vintage Conny.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0gkvwpzw4on3vbx

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1432 Post(s)
    @NJ Bears Fan again a very helpful post. Your comment about the size of the watch has me thinking though. I have the Seiko SNK series watch and at 37mm I find the watch to be too smile for my wrist. So dropping down to a 34mm watch would definitely be too small for me. Which is a shame too since the vintage watches that I have taken a quick look at all seem to be 37mm or smaller. That could be the thing that holds me back from making a purchase.

Your outline on the pros and cons of a refinished watch is pretty much what I expected/have read. Purists are not keen, and non-collectors just go 'meh'. Again, not sure where I fall on this. Probably down the middle.

Great links at the bottom of your post. I'll give them a look. Cheers.