Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for forum

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)

Suggestions for forum

I don't know if anyone looks here, but I thought putting it in the clothing forum would be off topic. There a couple things I would like to see on this site. I don't know who to send suggestions to. There's probably a strong chance that no one cares what I think, and I'm aware of this.

With that being said....

To Whom It May Concern:
    I'd like to see the option of adding a signature to your posts. This is the only forum that I personally use that does not give you that option. I would also like to see a thumbs up, similar to what styleforum uses.

Best,

Charles

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    There is a signature option, just hard to find. If you go to "settings" up top, there's an "edit signature" on the left side under "my profile".

Also like the idea of a "like" or "thumbs up" idea; particularly when it comes to WIWT and other posts.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Okay, I found the signature thing. This post is basically a test to see how it shows up. BTW, thanks for that. @hornsup84
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    There's a thumbs up option in Tapatalk, fwiw. Not sure it actually shows up, though.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Also like the idea of a "like" or "thumbs up" idea; particularly when it comes to WIWT and other posts.
    I would love to see this added as well. I cant see where the tapatalk button actually does anything.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Please don't. If I wanted a pissing contest of who can get the most likes, I'd go to Crackbook or Instadoodle.
    Dappered is remarkably free of this and it would be nice to keep it that way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Please don't. If I wanted a pissing contest of who can get the most likes, I'd go to Crackbook or Instadoodle.
    Yeah, I don't see what purpose this would serve. Stroke egos?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio P. View Post
    Yeah, I don't see what purpose this would serve. Stroke egos?
    It's a means of demonstrating that you like something or showing agreement with a post without clouding up the conversation with "+1" and "agree" posts. I've seen it implemented on a reasonable and gentlemanly basis before (e.g., WUS forums).

I think it's fair to say that we're missing out on participation in certain threads--WIWT being the prime example--because there is a bias toward posting to critique or disagree (and less so for liking a look or agreeing with a post). I imagine fewer people post on these types of threads because most of what they see is just the critiques/negative comments that are posted. In the spirit of Threads promoting a place where I'd hope those things would be preferred/encouraged, it seems like a reasonable thing to add.

As for it being a 'pissing contest', I guess it could be taken as a competition, but I feel like WIWT or ... the actual weekly contests we have... could be taken as the same. I think it's more the type of folks you have participating than it is the functionality, so I doubt adding a "like" feature would change how people view such things.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1436 Post(s)
    @hornsup84 Point taken about clouding up the site with mindless "I agree" or "+1" posts. But a) really, how hard is it to scroll past these postings? and b) Dappered seems to be remarkably free of these kind of posts. Knock wood.

I have to respectfully disagree with your notion that we are missing out on certain posts because of the lack of this feature. If anything I think the lack of the 'thumbs up' feature encourages people to post thoughtful comments and critique of what people are wearing. My opinion is that being able to click a thumbs up icon and moving to the next post enables anyone to click without giving any thought to what they are clicking and liking. I'd much rather see/encourage debate and critical thought as opposed to just saying like/not like.

(Then again I'm in my 40ies and think schools should still teach cursive writing and encourage critical thinking. Hey you kids, get off my lawn!)

People will either participate in threads or they won't. A thumbs up/down feature likely will not change this.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I'd like to see the article comments come back. Why were they eliminated?