Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Craft beer thread

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)

Craft beer thread

I'll admit it. I have a sweet spot for good beer. And by god beer I'm not talking your mass produced bullshit like Molson Canadian (if you're in Canada) or Bud (if you're in the US). I'm talking small brewery that you may or may not be able to get outside of your province/state. With that in mind I thought I'd see what you guys are drinking and what you like.

While I have many brands that I'm a fan of, Rogue Brewery outta Portland is definitely one of my favourites. Their nut brown ale and oatmeal stout are right up there for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    We actually have a beer thread already! Granted, it hasn't had much activity lately. Check it out here: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...highlight=beer

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Since I've included something from Troegs in just about every craft-your-own six pack from Wegman's that I've ever bought, I'm going to have to go with them. Troegenator double bock is probably my favorite. Also scoring points for me lately is Yards. For anyone in the Philly area; the tasting room, brewery tour, and food truck Saturday is a must-do.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    3 Floyds out of my home state of Indiana. No bad beers. They don't make some watery ABV Highlife clone or a girly fruited wheat. Nope. Just great beers up and down. Alpha King is a standby for me, it was once a standout IPA and now is a standby since everyone has gone so hop-crazed in the last 5 years. The issue is that they aren't cheap. Their bombers are expensive, but the gap is closing since breweries have learned that people WILL pay more for better beer. Zombie Dust and Space Station Middle Finger are their hot recipes right now.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Saint Arnold out of my hometown Houston is pretty solid. Highly recommend their Endeavor Double IPA and Lawnmower German Kolsch. Karbach (also Houston) seems to be catching on more and more as of late, too -- always pick up a 6er of the Weekend Warrior Pale Ale when I visit home. Think I also heard they're starting to distribute where I'm at now, so might have to take a field trip this weekend and find some...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha King View Post
    3 Floyds out of my home state of Indiana. No bad beers. They don't make some watery ABV Highlife clone or a girly fruited wheat. Nope. Just great beers up and down. Alpha King is a standby for me, it was once a standout IPA and now is a standby since everyone has gone so hop-crazed in the last 5 years. The issue is that they aren't cheap. Their bombers are expensive, but the gap is closing since breweries have learned that people WILL pay more for better beer. Zombie Dust and Space Station Middle Finger are their hot recipes right now.
    Agreed. I can occasionally find Alpha King or Gumball Head in 6 packs around here, but it's spotty. A couple good local pubs have those on tap, and lately I've been able to find Calumet Queen in bombers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    495 Post(s)
    With winter right around the corner, my favorite beer of all time is Hardywood's Gingerbread Stout. I must get at least 4-6 of them. I usually store one for a year. If you can get the barrel aged ones in bourbon or rum even better. It's luscious surrounded by yummy. Highly recommend.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha King View Post
    I'm heading out to Indy for work In a couple weeks. Hoping I can find some alpha king or some other 3F beer at a bottle shop around there to bring back with me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    In the craft beer discussion, a good friend of mine owns and is head brewer for a local brewpub out here in NH. He just won a gold medal at the Great American Brew Fest in CO for his brown ale, (in the American Brown Ales category)! Pretty awesome, especially for being such a small and fairly new place.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post
    I'm heading out to Indy for work In a couple weeks. Hoping I can find some alpha king or some other 3F beer at a bottle shop around there to bring back with me.
    Indianapolis just recently EXPLODED with microbreweries over the last couple years, but sadly a lot of them aren't making good beer. If you're interested in trying a local place, I would suggest Sun King, just because they are the largest and most consistent, but unfortunately I think they are a little boring and middle of the road. I think it might take us a few more years for these new guys to figure out their niches before we get some truly great beer.