Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Craft beer thread

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    For my money, Portland has to be one of the better places for craft beer. It seems like every time I'm there, I'm sampling some new beer. In my city they are trying to replicate the Portland model, but the liquor laws are so stringent that I think they are going to have a hard time of it.

So has the growler craze hit your part of the world too? I keep wondering if it is a passing trend (thank you hipsters) of if it will be around for a while.

@hockeysc23 As someone who loves stout beer, that gingerbread stout sounds good. I'm gonna have to look around my parts and see if I can locate any from the breweries here.
    @drocpsu I didn't do a search before posting my thread. Good find. If you're a mod and have the power, feel free to combine the threads. Cheers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    For my money, Portland has to be one of the better places for craft beer. It seems like every time I'm there, I'm sampling some new beer. In my city they are trying to replicate the Portland model, but the liquor laws are so stringent that I think they are going to have a hard time of it.

So has the growler craze hit your part of the world too? I keep wondering if it is a passing trend (thank you hipsters) of if it will be around for a while.

@hockeysc23 As someone who loves stout beer, that gingerbread stout sounds good. I'm gonna have to look around my parts and see if I can locate any from the breweries here.
    @drocpsu I didn't do a search before posting my thread. Good find. If you're a mod and have the power, feel free to combine the threads. Cheers.
    You can now go to the local total wine, whole foods, etc. and fill a growler. I never attributed it to a craze as it's been around for 8+years here at restaurants etc.

If you cannot find some @DocDave let me know and maybe we can do a swap for some local craft beer in your area.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

The don't call Portland "Beervana" for nothing.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    @hockeysc23 that is one thing I wish we could do here. Get our beer at the grocery store. The growler craze has been around my parts for four years or so and doesn't show any signs of slowing down. I like it, but it does force me to drink a lot of beer in one sitting.

And if we can figure out a way to swap some craft beer, I'd be all over that! Cheers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    I like it, but it does force me to drink a lot of beer in one sitting.
    This is the biggest reason that I rarely get growlers. I just don't want to drink that much beer at one time. I occasionally get them when having people over or to take somewhere with me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I got really in to craft beer about 3 years ago. I was trading for all sorts of stuff (I still trade for Vermont stuff occasionally); I even took a trip to Belgium and visited both Cantillon and the St. Sixtus abbey (Westvletern). I still have a fairly extensive "cellar" that I'm working my way through since I was acquiring much faster than I could (or should) consume.

However, now I prefer to just buy good beer that I can get off the shelf at my local store. As far as local breweries go, Westbrook is about 3 hours from where I live in SC and they make quite a few good brews; in the summer I usually buy a good amount of their White Thai and Gose in cans. Other than Westbrook, I find that I buy a lot of Oskar Blues beer, especially Dales Pale Ale. After they opened their new brewery in NC (I consider that semi-local since I'm in SC) their availability and freshness has skyrocketed here in SC. Lately, I've also also been in to Wicked Weed from Asheville, NC which is about an hour and a half drive from my house. They make some amazing IPAs and sours.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post
    This is the biggest reason that I rarely get growlers. I just don't want to drink that much beer at one time. I occasionally get them when having people over or to take somewhere with me.
    Same. I'm usually using them to fill with my home-brew to take over for watching hockey games etc. with the guys.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    Boston Rounds might be a good alternative to a growler. Although I can't say I've used any myself.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Same. I'm usually using them to fill with my home-brew to take over for watching hockey games etc. with the guys.
    I used to own a homebrew shop back in another life. I just brewed for the first time in about a year last weekend. Gotta get back into it. Are you all-grain or extract?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    460 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha King View Post
    I used to own a homebrew shop back in another life. I just brewed for the first time in about a year last weekend. Gotta get back into it. Are you all-grain or extract?
    Extract for right now do to space and time concerns. Been doing it for about a year and 1/2. Love it. Going to go into doing 1 gallon small batches to start making my own recipes.