Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear Flannel shirts? If so, how do you pull it off?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs18 View Post
    I assumed that most forum members don't own work boots because I assume that most of them don't work in industries requiring work boots, such as construction, distribution, or forestry. The point is that I said most. I stand by my assumption.
    You know what they say about assuming...you make an ass out of U and some guy named Ming

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    Rock the flannel. Pair it up with, oh, I don't know. A white T, some denim, a pair of Wolverine 1000 miler's and you're good to go. I agree with the other posters here. Leave the shirt untucked and embrace the look.

Feel free to post some pics once you've pulled it together.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    Flannels are warm, soft, and comfy. I go with "quieter" colors like browns, blues, and greens and avoid red like the plague (lest I look like "Earl" from The Dinosaurs ). I leave mine untucked and go with a slimmer fit for a sharper look. I wear them with chukkas, plain white sneaks, or (of course) a pair of boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    Why would you want to avoid looking like the best dressed dino of all time?

And as long as we're chiming in, my work boots have steel toes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron P. View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but I can't see why not working in a particular field would be reason not to own sturdy boots. You never know when you're going to get asked to help someone with moving, or get called out on a hiking trip.
    bold: Eh, depends on what you mean by "sturdy boots" or even "work boots." I will guess by those categories one means either steel toed boots or something like Wolverines, maybe even Timberlands. Most of my friends who camp and go hiking wear actual hiking boots. None that I know wear "sturdy boots" for when they moved or helped moved people into their place of residency; they just wore gym shoes.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    I wear flannel shirts on occasion. I pull it off typically by undoing the buttons then removing one sleeve at a time.

I'm a little surprised no one got to this lame joke before me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I just ordered some flannels from Proper Cloth and I'm wearing them with Jeans or chinos with chippewa boots. I do not have a beard. I am not trying to pull off a lumberjack look but during the cold months I either look slick with sweaters and shirts and peacoats etc, or I go more rugged with plaids and boots. It's not a look, but more how I feel each day and where I go. I'm in new england. Anything is acceptable, though suits around these small towns are out of place. I'm not worried about being pidgeonholed into a look and if you don't walk around trying to fit into something like that, I don't think people will think anything. But likewise, if you're a skinny guy who wears skinny jeans and winter hats in the summer, people are going to say you're a hipster. Look like you, groom like you, then dress however you want.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I wear flannel shirts on occasion. I pull it off typically by undoing the buttons then removing one sleeve at a time.

I'm a little surprised no one got to this lame joke before me
    Phil Dunphy-esque

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I'm not sure how much the boots factor into it; lumbersexual hipster is all the rage here, and most of them don't even wear boots (they are usually in sneakers).

I think the key factor is the beard; the longer your scruff gets, the more lumber the look.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    After reading through this thread I can't help but wonder if more than 51% of the readers here own work boots. It's killing me that I will never know.

On topic: You can always start with solid color flannels. Flannels in general can be a good look, regardless of whether you go full lumberjack or not. They are extremely comfortably and have been very popular here for the past couple winters. I feel like the reason people in LA like them is because they are warm on their own, but not excessively so. They are nice for a day in the lower 60's without having to throw on a coat. That and because the lumbersexual look is alive and well here and has been for too long.