Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wear Flannel shirts? If so, how do you pull it off?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    Looking lumberjack-ish is kind of the point of wearing flannel, man. Just embrace it. You'll only look like a true lumberjack if you tuck your flannel into dirty carpenter jeans and wear hefty steel-toed boots.
    THIS.

The flannel look is great for the fall, and looking somewhat like a lumberjack (albeit a well-groomed one with killer boots and nice jeans) feels masculine and cozy. I know we're a community of guys that likes elevating typical slovenly fashion, but sometimes stuff is classic for a reason. Flannel is great -- just remember to wear it occasionally (rather than constantly) and you'll be fine.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs18 View Post
    3.) Wear your work boots (I assume most of Dappered's followers don't actually have work boots.)
    Why would you assume that? I wear work boots everyday.

It's a flannel not a pink tux don't think to hard.

It's a casual button down.

They can be a thin more fine fabric or a heavier weight warmer more casual fabric. Flannels can be kinda dressy or super casual and purpose built for warmth in harsh cold conditions.

Jeans chinos boots. Wearing a heavy weight flannel is much different than a more dressy side flannel from say Polo Blue label.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I do. I have a couple. Its pattern needs to be not so trying, sort of like how I view the gingham pattern - that if it's too big or too "picnic-ish", then it's a no go. The way I wear it is untucked, sleeves rolled up with either dark jeans or chinos and desert boots. Ya know, the usual set-up. My facial hair power is awfully weak, so I don't sport a beard.

OT: Since someone brought up the lumberjack look, does anyone know if there's a lumberjack sports organization near Chicago? I'd like to get in on that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I assumed that most forum members don't own work boots because I assume that most of them don't work in industries requiring work boots, such as construction, distribution, or forestry. The point is that I said most. I stand by my assumption.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Flannel 101: K.I.S.S & don't over think it!

Well fitting flannel, decent T underneath if you get hot, jeans, boots. Beard and whiskey optional, but highly recommended

J.Crew Herringbone
    JCF slim washed V
    JCF Selvedge denim
    Woolrich boots

And for the record, I think work boots are fairly popular here.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    I assumed that most forum members don't own work boots because I assume that most of them don't work in industries requiring work boots, such as construction, distribution, or forestry. The point is that I said most. I stand by my assumption.
    Seems to be an arbitrary assessment of the forums membership without any data to quantify it.

But yes wear some flannels! A good one will be casual, comfortable, and will keep you warm on cold days. Flannels that are double brushed also provide some very good wind resistance.

Oh and Alden Indy boots looks great too. Not a work boot but a good casual boot with flannels.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Yes, and pretty much what others are saying. I'll wear mine (have a couple L.L. Bean ones, actually) with jeans/chinos and desert boots/work boots (sometimes even loafers, actually). I have a beard and have definitely gotten the lumberjack comment from time to time. It's never really bothered me all that much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    @ Andrew: Great fit for the flannel.

How long have you've been wearing your raw jeans? Pre-washed color or natural fade?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    I can't speak for everyone, but I can't see why not working in a particular field would be reason not to own sturdy boots. You never know when you're going to get asked to help someone with moving, or get called out on a hiking trip.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron P. View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but I can't see why not working in a particular field would be reason not to own sturdy boots. You never know when you're going to get asked to help someone with moving, or get called out on a hiking trip.
    I also own boat shoes. I do not own a boat.