Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signet Rings (Or Any Other Rings Excluding The Wedding Band)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

Signet Rings (Or Any Other Rings Excluding The Wedding Band)

Hope all you fellas are doing well!

I was just curious about how some of you guys feel about men's rings (excluding the wedding band) and more specifically, signet rings. I don't see them often and it seems a bit of a shame, considering the incredibly rich history they carry. I think they are unique and under utilized in the respect that anyone can wear them. You don't have to have a particular body shape or size in order for it to enhance your look such as certain items of clothing require. Do you all think they come off as "snobby" or some other similar adjective? I'd love to hear everyone's opinion!

Additionally, I am in the market for a signet ring now, and if any of you own one or have any know how on the topic, please share! If anyone reading is interested in their own, Ebay has a nice selection that is worth taking a look at!

Here's a few links to the kind of ring I find most attractive. Feel free to share yours as well!

EDIT: Spelling

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/...psd2fecc51.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Sj-JQJ6RLT...net+pinky1.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-VI...vip=true&rt=nc

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Forgive me, are these like family crests or something different? If it's a long-standing family tradition to wear a particular symbol (and especially if it's an heirloom ring) and you don't call attention to it I think it's okay. I say at most 2 rings for a man, wedding band + another (heirloom/class ring/etc.). Personally a band is all I will wear but my pimp alarm won't go off at 2ringz.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    Forgive me, are these like family crests or something different? If it's a long-standing family tradition to wear a particular symbol (and especially if it's an heirloom ring) and you don't call attention to it I think it's okay. I say at most 2 rings for a man, wedding band + another (heirloom/class ring/etc.). Personally a band is all I will wear but my pimp alarm won't go off at 2ringz.
    @LosRockets Traditionally, yes they are an heirloom or seal meant to represent a particular family or bloodline. But with the exception of the British royal family (and perhaps some other head's of state) they are obviously worn just like any other piece of jewelry. You often see them in the form of a class ring as you mentioned, or something else significant such as an heirloom. This is the tradition I spoke of. I see it as another heirloom piece that can be passed on to your children, similar to a prized watch or other similar piece.
    Last edited by hillch12; September 12th, 2015 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    First time poster here.

Let me begin with some background to explain my viewpoint, which I feel may be quite a bit different than others on the forum. The point of this is not to devalue your choices or tastes, only to provide insight from my experience. I'm a blue collar worker. Nearly every man in my family has been a blue collar worker. All of my friends are blue collar workers. While I can appreciate the rich history and tradition of the ring, I feel they have lost their function. It is to my understanding that men's accessories need a function, and this is what helps differentiate them from women's accessories. Nice pen, I get it. Tie clip, I get it. Watch, I get it. Cuff links, I get it. Signet ring, not so much. Sure, they show off you family heritage, but I doubt you will be using it as your signature in wax on envelopes. I would think it were gaudy and feminine. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Class rings are another story, though I would expect that the wearer would either be from a very prestigious school or a recent graduate.

I'm interested to see others opinions.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    I think class rings have the dual distinction of being ugly and putting the wearer in the class of people trying very hard to tell me something that I don't care the slightest bit about.

Obviously, impressions will differ, but that's mine. There are probably less gaudy signet rings one could wear, but I feel like you're swimming upstream against the "mobsters and 80's rich guys" impression of pinky rings, which would make it a move with a particularly high degree of difficulty.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs18 View Post
    First time poster here.

Let me begin with some background to explain my viewpoint, which I feel may be quite a bit different than others on the forum. The point of this is not to devalue your choices or tastes, only to provide insight from my experience. I'm a blue collar worker. Nearly every man in my family has been a blue collar worker. All of my friends are blue collar workers. While I can appreciate the rich history and tradition of the ring, I feel they have lost their function. It is to my understanding that men's accessories need a function, and this is what helps differentiate them from women's accessories. Nice pen, I get it. Tie clip, I get it. Watch, I get it. Cuff links, I get it. Signet ring, not so much. Sure, they show off you family heritage, but I doubt you will be using it as your signature in wax on envelopes. I would think it were gaudy and feminine. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Class rings are another story, though I would expect that the wearer would either be from a very prestigious school or a recent graduate.

I'm interested to see others opinions.
    I see where you're coming from @Jacobs18 but I do disagree on the functionality part. I think many guys wear pieces that aren't always "functional" in the truest sense of the word. How many of us NEED a watch to tell the time? Cell phones could have rendered watches obsolete if that's all they meant to people. Men wear watches for a number of reasons other than the functionality of telling time. Sure, I probably won't be sealing any official letters with my signet ring (though that would be pretty cool), but I don't think that should relegate it to the annals of history.

I will agree that if worn in certain styles it can be gaudy, or make you wander into the wannabe gangster/pimp territory, but I also think if worn correctly it can add an heir of... gravitas to the wearer. Which may not be what some are going for and that is totally understandable! But I do think if done right it can be mighty fine lookin'

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)
    Other than a wedding band, these are the only rings I would wear...

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    I like the idea of a signet ring or pinkie ring a la Dickie Greenleaf, but I am too androgynous to pull that kind of thing off without it looking super effeminate. I'll stick with a watch and maybe a very basic wedding band someday.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    In my family specifically on my mothers side in your 21st birthday it's tradition to be given a gold signet. Because of that I'm used to seeing signet rings. I've never worn a college ring but do generally wear either the gold or silver signet ring that I have in addition to my wedding band.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Not for me, but I'm not one for men's jewelry outside of a wedding band or watch.