Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Architect's Wardrobe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Architect's Wardrobe

Hey all, wanted to see if there are any other architects here, and if so, what is your daily wardrobe?

Architecture is a tough profession to dress for because it has that old-school professional services bent (like law, banking, etc), but also is a creative field so there is expectation of individual expression and cutting edge style. I'm always caught between dressing like a sober professional (dress trousers, dress shirt, dress shoes) and something a little more relaxed (well-fitted dark wash denim with tucked-in OCBD and boots), depending on if I have meetings, or am out on a construction site, or hanging in the studio.

I wish I had the opportunity/expectation of wearing a suit/tie, but that would look completely alien in my consistently smart-casual/business-casual work environments. Part of me thinks I should adopt a "uniform" style, but the all-black or black-white thing is so trite for architects.

So, any other architects here? Let me know what you're wearing!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    I'm not an architect (I'm an urban planner/civil engineer--so the fields adjacent to architecture, in a way), but I feel compelled to reply anyway. I think there is definitely a lot in between "sober professional" and "ocbd/jeans casual". You could always put on a more casual blazer in corduroy, tweed, or chino fabric, and there are lots of options for odd trousers that aren't worsted wool trousers OR jeans. Having some variety in the fabrics and textures you wear, while still having a tailored look, could be a great way to let some creativity shine through.

And as an architect, you *should* wear a bow tie, of course, so your regular necktie doesn't fall on your drafting table.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    A good friend of mine is an architect, and typically wear fairly standard business casual-type outfits. Well fitting shirts & khaki/navy trousers or (nicer) chinos, a blazer, that type of thing. Don't think I've ever seen him in a tie, though thats not to say that he never has to wear one. Hard for me to say if he ever wears a decent looking pair of jeans to work either.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I immediately just thought of Ted Mosby from How I met Your Mother. I like his style and most of his outfits are grown-up yet fresh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I work in software, and my experience is that the start-up technology world is, I'm guessing, similar to architecture - jeans / chinos are my go-to, and I usually pair with a nicely tailor shirt and sport coat. Plenty of guys go with golf shirts, but I've never been able to pull that off. I might wear a tie once or twice a month, depending upon my schedule with customers.

Shoes are where I usually mix it up - I love drivers, but sometimes think they might be too casual? Penny loafers or Chukkahs are great. I will also say the old adage of 'dress for the job you want, not the job you have' does apply - sometimes it is tough to beat a step-up to wool trousers, lace-up dress shoes, and a nice shirt.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    I am an architect, but in the midwest (Indianapolis). There is a wide range of styles in our office but most people just dress at the low end of business casual. Sloppy... and casual Friday is a joke with baggy frayed jeans and ill-fitting untucked shirts.

Bigwigs dress like bankers... some of the guys are kinda minimalist with black mock turtlenecks and blazers (don't really get that!), and there are a few peacocks with their giant watches, french cuffs and no blazers, loud vests, that kind of thing. Lots of ugly shoes, too. Cole Haan's with the loud soles and bright laces.

I am trying to strike a balance of traditional with a little bit of individuality. I just try to keep things tailored. I don't wear a blazer much but I am working on my wardrobe. I wear a navy Napoli suit to meetings, but for around the office I plan on getting a SuSu havana that is a little less formal. Patch pockets, a check pattern or something. I will stand out from my peers but I feel like my style needs to grow up some!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    208 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha King View Post
    I am an architect, but in the midwest (Indianapolis). There is a wide range of styles in our office but most people just dress at the low end of business casual. Sloppy... and casual Friday is a joke with baggy frayed jeans and ill-fitting untucked shirts.

Bigwigs dress like bankers... some of the guys are kinda minimalist with black mock turtlenecks and blazers (don't really get that!), and there are a few peacocks with their giant watches, french cuffs and no blazers, loud vests, that kind of thing. Lots of ugly shoes, too. Cole Haan's with the loud soles and bright laces.

I am trying to strike a balance of traditional with a little bit of individuality. I just try to keep things tailored. I don't wear a blazer much but I am working on my wardrobe. I wear a navy Napoli suit to meetings, but for around the office I plan on getting a SuSu havana that is a little less formal. Patch pockets, a check pattern or something. I will stand out from my peers but I feel like my style needs to grow up some!
    unrelated to this post, but is your username a reference to the killer 3 Floyds Pale Ale?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I am an architect as well (in Kansas City), and basically business casual is the norm at the office. Slacks, chinos or nice jeans and button downs. No need for a tie or sport jacket, unless meeting a client. Not quite as much of a black and white scheme as the movies/magazines would lead you to believe.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post
    unrelated to this post, but is your username a reference to the killer 3 Floyds Pale Ale?
    yep, big beer nerd here...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Orange cardigan is essential.