Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Architect's Wardrobe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I am an architect as well (in Kansas City), and basically business casual is the norm at the office. Slacks, chinos or nice jeans and button downs. No need for a tie or sport jacket, unless meeting a client. Not quite as much of a black and white scheme as the movies/magazines would lead you to believe.
    I agree with this, adding that there is a regional component. When I lived in Washington, DC - it didn't matter what your job was, that is a dressier town. Similar experience in NYC. A sport coat was included in business casual - other areas not so much.

Living in the South (Atlanta to be specific, but travel frequently around the Southeast), Polo shirts or golf attire tends to be much more acceptable.

Personally, I hate the 'tie without a coat' look, or 'polo shirt with a blazer' -- make up your mind, are you casual or dressy?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs455 View Post
    I agree with this, adding that there is a regional component. When I lived in Washington, DC - it didn't matter what your job was, that is a dressier town. Similar experience in NYC. A sport coat was included in business casual - other areas not so much.

Living in the South (Atlanta to be specific, but travel frequently around the Southeast), Polo shirts or golf attire tends to be much more acceptable.

Personally, I hate the 'tie without a coat' look, or 'polo shirt with a blazer' -- make up your mind, are you casual or dressy?
    Tie without a coat is terrible. Polo shirt with blazer I think can work if the blazer is extremely casual. Then it's just a jacket over a polo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all for chiming in! I do like the suggestion to keep it simple with nice tailored pieces that have interesting textures and materials.

For some reason, even in NYC, architects (and engineers, etc.) are really dressing down nowadays. One of the partners of my office even wears plaid shorts and sneakers on summer Fridays....blech.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha King View Post
    yep, big beer nerd here...
    Awesome. Alpha king is great. Wish we could get 3F stuff out here in New England.