Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing Down a Charcoal Suit

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Dressing Down a Charcoal Suit

I have a SuSu charcoal herringbone suit (well I bought the coat on eBay because I found Luxire had the fabric in stock and made me some pants, so not technically a SuSu suit). It is the Washington cut and I'm wondering if this is even possible. I mean, can anyone dress down a charcoal herringbone suit? Thanks for the replies ahead of time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nleaders View Post
    I have a SuSu charcoal herringbone suit (well I bought the coat on eBay because I found Luxire had the fabric in stock and made me some pants, so not technically a SuSu suit). It is the Washington cut and I'm wondering if this is even possible. I mean, can anyone dress down a charcoal herringbone suit? Thanks for the replies ahead of time.
    Yes - don't wear a tie. Also try wearing a non-white shirt with more color. Blue, green, purple.

You can also wear loafers instead of cap-toe shoes or something formal.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nleaders View Post
    Gingham shirt with no tie. I've done this with a blue gingham shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)
    Wear it with a henley. It's a hot look if you can pull it off ...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Another vote for no tie and some gingham.

Also, throw on a pair of nice boots rather than something more formal like a black cap toe.

Your grooming can also dress down the suit; if you're the type of guy that's always clean shaven and won't let a hair out of place, try a day's worth of stubble (if the look works on you) and a less rigid hairstyle. The picture above is a good example of grooming helping to dress down the suit.

Another thing to consider is accessories: if you have multiple watches, choose the least formal option. If you rock a pocket square, fold it loosely.

As always, one of the biggest factors is your attitude -- you've got to wear the suit with the same casual abandon and comfort that you would have in Jeans and a T-shirt. If you're fidgeting with any part of the outfit, it calls attention to its dressiness. Part of that means leaving the jacket unbuttoned more than usual -- don't button it every time you stand and unbutton every time you sit (like one normally does).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    These are all great ideas, and they definitely lean towards the ideas I had. More than anything, I just wondered if it could be done. You've effectively answered my query.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    Here's my effort for today. Sorry about the phone pics... terrible lighting for a photo.

As a side note, comment on the fit of the suit for me, will ya? I just want to know if you all think any alterations are needed.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Respectfully....

I think the sleeves are too short.
    I don't think charcoal is the suit color to try no socks and loafers with.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Looks to be a good fit through the shoulders. I'm not sure if the jacket is too short or if there is bunching below the crotch. I'm guessing the latter; if so, this could be caused by wearing boxer shorts or could need tightened up by a tailor. Minimal sleeve lengthening is required. All-in-all you're one of the lucky ones. It appears you fit Suitsupply OTR quite well. The suit is great too, BTW.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Looks good - check other posts for the fit. I would wear socks with any dark pants that are not denim or cotton.

My only other comment is that the suit has peak lapels - that is usually more formal than notch lapel. Only style geeks like us will care though. That shirt works without a tie.