Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Interview Attire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Job Interview Attire

Hey All-

I've been a lurker for a while but I think this is my first official post. I've got a HUGE job interview next week for a position that I would love to land. I have a pretty awesome Navy Suit that I plan to wear, but was wondering if it would be acceptable to wear a pair of dark brown Clayton Wingtip Boots? I feel like it would be alright as it is something that I would wear to work at my current position, but do think it is slightly more business attire at the prospective job. If not, and I need to go get another pair- what would you suggest, I'm partial to brown with a Navy suit and don't want "plain" shoes (I have others- a lighter brown captoe and a great pair of double-buckle monks that need to be taken to the shop). [And the brown goes with my Hamilton watch i plan on wearing]

Also, I was debating on Rocking my Favorite Pink tie, but was iffy on whether or not I should wear a red "power" tie.

Thanks for the help!

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I don't know what "Clayton Wingtip Boots" but that sounds inappropriate for a big job interview. Those "plain" shoes are what you want to wear for an interview. How light are we talking when we say light brown captoes, like... AE walnut or like chestnut?

Also, rock your favorite black, silver, gray, or navy tie with a simple repeating pattern (think dots) or white stripes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)
    What field are you in? It makes something of a difference.
    Last edited by BillN; August 18th, 2015 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Spellng

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Job Interview Attire

I work in banking- pretty business casual where I am (regulator side), a little less where I'm trying to go (big bank side)

My captoes are the same shade as the AE walnuts but less ornate.

These were the wingtip boots I was referencing earlier as I feel like they are more appropriate than the lighter captoes: https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/on/de...B_master_1.jpg

I also do have a simple pair of black captoes, but I am really not a fan of them! I can always hit the store if you have better suggestions, as I really only have pink, red or yellow ties- and it sounds like they may be too "loud" and I'll probably need to snag something that is less....

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    I agree with the other commenters. If this is a banking job and you're forming a first impression, a pink tie reads too bold. You want your clothing to flatter you subtly, and let what you have to say take center stage. Let the fine quality and proper fit of your clothes differentiate your outfit from the other applicants'. I would go with a simple black or navy tie that has some subtle pattern or texture to it (I like this one or this one). As for the shoes, I would use the occasion as an excuse to go shopping. If you don't have time you can always wear the black cap toes.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Wear the black captoes. It's one day, suck it up and keep your personal style under wraps. Nobody will notice the shoes. This is good. I'd rather nobody notice your shoes than wonder why the hell you're wearing wingtip boots to an interview. In a sense I disagree w/ Danny - for most jobs you're not dressing to stand out at an interview. Just because your clothes fit really well doesn't mean you're more likely to be selected. Rather, you're dressing to NOT stand out so your qualifications and personality allow you to distinguish yourself in ways that actually matter. Don't waste time shopping for new shoes, focus on preparing for your interview.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks guys! I think I'll give the boring captoes a go then, and will have a goal to find a nice tie this week...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    @LosRockets I think you misunderstood me (or perhaps I expressed myself poorly). I totally agree that differentiating yourself through your outfit is unnecessary (and even inadvisable, if you go with something overly bold like a shocking pink tie). As I said in my previous comment, "let what you have to say take center stage."

However, I think that anyone reading these threads knows the importance of fit and quality, and what a difference they can make overall. Even if the interviewer sees 20 blue suits that day, the superior, non-boxy fit of OP's suit will probably help him subtly stand out as one of the better-dressed applicants.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    205 Post(s)
    In banking, the black cap toe for sure for all the reasons above.

And you should go get a quality pair, because you may be wearing them to work a lot if you get the gig.

Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Quoted
    544 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    Wear the black captoes. It's one day, suck it up and keep your personal style under wraps. Nobody will notice the shoes. This is good. I'd rather nobody notice your shoes than wonder why the hell you're wearing wingtip boots to an interview. In a sense I disagree w/ Danny - for most jobs you're not dressing to stand out at an interview. Just because your clothes fit really well doesn't mean you're more likely to be selected. Rather, you're dressing to NOT stand out so your qualifications and personality allow you to distinguish yourself in ways that actually matter. Don't waste time shopping for new shoes, focus on preparing for your interview.
    I agree with the black captoes. I don't wear them, but in this specific situation it is as good as your gonna get. A dark brown captoe would also do the trick, but you don't have that. As far as a tie, I say go with red. Make sure it is striped or solid. I would stay away from "neat" ties at a job interview. However, I might be wrong as they did work for Gordon Gekko