Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Wearing Shorts to Work Article

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    He's a writer for the Washington Post. If his day just involves sitting at his cubicle writing, researching, editing, making phone calls, etc., then I think he can get away with shorts at work (minus the square-toed loafers, which are pretty ugly). But yeah, if he's going to be out of the office doing meetings or interviewing people, I would think that he would not want to look like he's spending a Saturday afternoon walking in the park.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I'm sitting here trying to imagine the fallout of opening the door on "shorts to work" in my company, considering what happened once jeans were allowed. Perhaps 10% (at most) of the working population would have an eye for what is appropriate/looks good and the rest would end up looking like they were at a frat party in 2003. I've actually worn shorts to the office a few times, but only on weekends when even my superiors were wearing them during summer when they cut down the AC on weekends in the office. Even then I felt....odd...and I don't think I'll ever look at some of my coworkers the same way after seeing so much varying degrees of skin/hair/mandals, hahaha. Obviously everything depends on the office environment, but in most cases where some degree of professionalism is required, I don't see it playing out well.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1516 Post(s)
    Although I am at my desk 85% of the day, I don't feel as though wearing shorts to the office is appropriate. Maybe if you're at a tech startup and you're spending your day coding or building apps or whatever. And there's a ping-pong table in the cafe. Then maybe. But if you're in a professional office where you're meeting with clients, etc. then no. I'd say shorts is a no go.

Good call on the shoes too. Yikes.

Oh and re:the A/C in offices, compare how women dress in the summer and how men dress. In my office the women get away with flip flops, short skirts, summer dresses,etc. The men are all in long pants and long sleeve shirts. If the office A/C was set for women, the men would be stewing in their own sweat all day.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    This is all stemming off that article on how office A/C is set for men and not women. I agree with @DocDave on why it's set for men -- we're generally more clothed than women are in office settings. Society isn't ready to make shorts ok in business settings, so that really isn't an option. Thus, it's only logical to set it that way (colder to take into account what society requires men to wear to work) because, given dress codes, it's easier for women (and men who get cold as well) to add clothing vs. men not being able to strip down more. It's annoying that this is somehow being written as if it's a feminist/gender-equality issue; it's a logic/efficiency/practicality issue. This isn't even getting into the fact that most people are the 'normal' size people they set it for, so really we should be setting it for obese people in America (meaning even cooler), but I digress. And if anyone takes issue with my 'antifeminist' office A/C view, well... relax, it's the internet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    1.) Wear the right shorts: At least he called out no cargo shorts. A well tailored look would be a great look if you can in your work environment
    2.) Wear the right shirts: As in ironed right? Button downs would have to be a must. Short sleeve buttons down are a maybe, if you can pull it off. Roll the sleeves up is also a big maybe. Not a big fan of that unless its hot.
    3.) Don't tuck it in: I completely disagree. absolutely tuck that long sleeve shirt in. Wear a belt and accentuate the look. Untucked makes it look like you really could care less which is silly. Tuck it in please.
    4.) Wear good shoes: Take your own advice sir. Penney loafers, boat shoes, or even some stylish no sock dress shoes may, just may pull off this look.
    5.) Nobody cares: Yea right.... If nobody cares then why are we on this site... We want to look good and be proud of the way we look. The one person who truly cares should be yourself. If you don't care, then that's a big issue for you. I care about how I dress/walk/talk because I'm proud of who I am. If I ever show up in a wrinkled shirt with those shoes and not care, then I have lost my goal in life...which is to be happy with who I am.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    298 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Thus, it's only logical to set it that way (colder to take into account what society requires men to wear to work) because, given dress codes, it's easier for women (and men who get cold as well) to add clothing vs. men not being able to strip down more. It's annoying that this is somehow being written as if it's a feminist/gender-equality issue; it's a logic/efficiency/practicality issue.
    Exactly. You can always add a layer two if you're cold, but if you're hot your options end at naked. And I'm pretty sure that not even the most "progressive" offices are ready for that .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    I would feel ridiculous wearing shorts to work. The older I get, the less I find myself even wanting to wear them outside playing sports or running. You take almost any outfit and shoe combination and it usually looks much better when combined with jeans/pants instead of shorts. Shorts aren't even that much more comfortable; I'd rather keep the sun off my legs than have to lather up greasy sunblock on them.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleNelly View Post
    I would feel ridiculous wearing shorts to work.
    Yes. I used to work for a company where shorts and t-shirts were the norm and it was very difficult to take myself (and my work) seriously. People always say they would love to wear whatever they want to work, but constantly seeing the worst of people gets old fast.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    I would never wear shorts to work - very disrespectful in my opinion. The problem with shorts to work is that it leads to guys wearing sandals too and I hate seeing someone's feet in a meeting.
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    If you are boss and wearing shorts, no one is going to ask you, in fact it will be a style. Otherwise its going to be difficult to explain to boss why you wearing shorts.
    Eat what is good for your health but
    Wear what is good for your and others eyes