Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Wearing Shorts to Work Article

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)

Thoughts on Wearing Shorts to Work Article

I saw this interesting article in the Washington Post and wanted to know your thoughts on shorts in the workplace

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...ame/?tid=sm_fb

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Everyone wears them and I think they are terrible mostly because most of us are not male models - we are desk jockeys (of varying ages) and they look bad on us. It really lowers the level of professionalism and as a manager destroys all gravitas I have. Of course I have lots of lightweight shirts and trousers for the office and I am just as comfortable.

His point about wearing the same clothes in August and December is valid and that is why I have seasonal wardrobes. Just no shorts for the office. I ditch the jacket in the summer because the office is too hot but shorts are going too far.

FYI my desk is about 70 degrees right now so temperature is not too crazy.
    Last edited by AFCForever; August 5th, 2015 at 02:10 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    Might work for some offices out there, but in any corporate environment or a workplace that involves interaction with customers (such as, say, a hospital) it would be viewed as totally unprofessional to see people in shorts.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    I think one's workplace would have to be pretty sweltering to be uncomfortable in chinos and a polo shirt/shirt with the sleeves rolled up. I'm comfortable around the house (78 deg) in my business casual attire, and I usually run pretty hot.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Him wearing shorts at the office is much less alarming than him wearing those shoes under any circumstances.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    Him wearing shorts at the office is much less alarming than him wearing those shoes under any circumstances.
    Ice cold. But true.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2108 Post(s)
    Now to be clear, I didn't dress like a schlub by any means.
    The author is deluding himself. That whole outfit is a hot, wrinkled, unkempt mess. Maybe that's okay if your job doesn't ever involve interacting with other human beings. But if you are called on to represent a brand or a business or a service, I would think you'd want not to look like you rolled out of bed and grabbed your clothes from out of a pile of dirty laundry on your way out the door. Shorts at an office sounds like a terrible idea in general but if you're going to do it, at least pretend to care.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)
    Maybe someone can pull off a nice professional look with shorts. This guy does not. The whole thing is a mess. I've joked with some of my coworkers I could pull it off but it's not something I'd do. It doesn't work in our office and client.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I won't even address the gentleman that is the subject of that portion of the article - too easy (sorry) and far too unnecessarily personal.

OP - assuming for a moment I was permitted to wear shorts to work, I'd still be completely against it. There are some things I'd prefer not to see for nine hours a day, five days a week. My middle aged and elderly colleagues hairy knees and pale ankles are two of them. I'm not being a hypocrite, either - I imagine others would just as soon pass on seeing my manlegs. Would Paying Clients stopping by unexpectedly like to see their overpriced lawyers' thighs in the office? Anything is possible, depending on the client. But, I'm skeptical.

Not to be abrupt but unless shorts are specifically required for the job (logistics, shipping/packing, athletic trainer, etc), in my opinion they bring down the level of formality a few notches too low for my liking.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Embargo1063 View Post
    I won't even address the gentleman that is the subject of that portion of the article - too easy (sorry) and far too unnecessarily personal.

OP - assuming for a moment I was permitted to wear shorts to work, I'd still be completely against it. There are some things I'd prefer not to see for nine hours a day, five days a week. My middle aged and elderly colleagues hairy knees and pale ankles are two of them. I'm not being a hypocrite, either - I imagine others would just as soon pass on seeing my manlegs. Would Paying Clients stopping by unexpectedly like to see their overpriced lawyers' thighs in the office? Anything is possible, depending on the client. But, I'm skeptical.

Not to be abrupt but unless shorts are specifically required for the job (logistics, shipping/packing, athletic trainer, etc), in my opinion they bring down the level of formality a few notches too low for my liking.
    The article is interesting. I was reading the text and getting his logic. His clothes are not THAT bad - mainly too rumpled. If they had no wrinkles and the shirt was tucked in, with a belt, they'd been OK. Plus he slams cargo shorts, which is spot on.

So since I have very good legs (seriously) I was thinking, maybe I could pull this off - after all, I wear sharp shorts and button front shirts outside the office in summer (though more typically polos).

BUT Embargo1063 nails it - too many guys have legs that cannot pull this off. It could be nasty. And I'm not going to dress at work in a way I would not accept other people to dress.