Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other car guys in here? Does your car match your style?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Any other car guys in here? Does your car match your style?

I was thinking about it with one of the latest posts over on Primer, where an MG midget was mentioned with the outfit that was chosen. I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this one but I have always thought they were kind of an extension of my personality and style.

My weekend getaway M3

My F100 for hauling and fall festivities (hey, if I'm going to have a truck it might as well be a cool one)

My Bel Air just because I always liked how 60's they look

Although I daily drive a beat to hell Nissan Altima that I have no pictures of.

I remember there was a similar thread a few years ago but thought it would be fun to see an updated thread.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1104 Post(s)
    Nashville eh? My current car is a bone stock base 2012 VW GTI 6sp. It took a lot of research to find that car as it had to fit a number of items before it would even be put on the list to consider. Some see cars as a mode of transportation but they offer a way to escape for however long you want. I like to just pack the dogs in the car and drive a big loop for about an hour just to get out and tune everything out. My wife drives a 2009 BMW 128i 6sp which is the last of the inline 6 non-turbo BMWs. It is fun to drive.

As we talk about a kid, we discuss the need for a 4 door vehicle. I cannot stand SUVs, crossovers, god forbid minivans, as all of those vehicles are just not exciting to drive. I just couldn't get excited about anything I could afford in that category. The current short list of baby-mobiles is a BMW 328d xdrive wagon and a 4dr GTI, possibly a Golf R, and finally a CPO MB E350. Also these cars will have to be optioned a certain way or I would not buy them.

The market is full of cars but not many are exciting that fit my needs. Would a Camry be great, cheap, and reliable? Hell yea. But would I want to wake up with a Camry? No.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    My wife drives a 2009 BMW 128i 6sp which is the last of the inline 6 non-turbo BMWs. It is fun to drive.
    I wish they still sold the 1-series around here. Hot hatches get no love in this country. :/

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    I wish they still sold the 1-series around here. Hot hatches get no love in this country. :/
    No love for the M235i? We love the 1-series Euros where you can get them in a proper hatch. We throw a lot of "what ifs" around and we both like the 1-series M and the Z3M "Boot" haha. We aren't really in a rush to get anything yet as some recent prospects in life may change our minds in the next year or 2.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    car guy yes, does it match my style? Meh. Not really. Its a commuter car. Purely practical. My previous cars did. I had a Nissan Maxima and 71 chevelle. Unfortunately had to seel those two and get a newer, practical car. Being an adult sucks sometimes.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    GTI, Golf R, Fiesta ST, Focus ST, all the Mini Cooper S models, Fiat 500 Abarth... we get plenty here! You can still find clean used Mazdaspeed3s and last gen WRXs and STIs.

On topic, I drive a 2013 Sonic RS, 6 speed. Wish I hadn't bought it, but I'm stuck with it for a while.

It doesn't really fit with my style, it's a little immature looking, and doesn't have the performance to back up its looks.

Top contenders for my next car are a 2011+ Mini Clubman S, Mk. VI GTI, VW CC, 2006+ Civic Si sedan, or Acura ILX. Gotta be manual. Out of warranty costs for the Mini and VWs scare me, and I wish the Civic Si were a little more mature looking. A CPO ILX seems to hit the sweet spot, but the car just doesn't speak to me. It'll be a couple years until I'm ready, so who knows how I'll feel by then.

Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    we both like the 1-series M and the Z3M "Boot" haha.
    Please buy a clownshoe so I can live vicariously through you.
    Last edited by Rocco; July 22nd, 2015 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quite the impressive collection, Harrison! I'm a car guy, but I'm still space constrained on starting one of my own. My dream is to have land and a sizeable shop to store old cars. In the meantime I need to stay off of bringatrailer.com...

I've been a fan of the Datsun/Nissan Z line since childhood and ordered a 2013 370Z back in 2012. It obviously gets babied and has yet to see 10,000mi. Now my son is crazy for his Hot Wheels version of my car.

Here's a pic from the first day of ownership:

Not sure how the Z relates to my personal style.

My daily driver is a first-gen Mazda3 GT hatch I bought 7 years ago, fun enough and still solid at 65k miles, but I'm getting the itch to replace it and will likely do so in a year or two. Our family car is a 2nd-gen Rogue, which has been great so far, but obviously the emphasis there isn't the fun-to-drive factor.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    I think our cars matches our style.

I'm in IT, subaru outback. My wife is a lawyer, she has an audi A4. When we go to weddings where we are both dressed up, we are going in the A4.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    GTI, Golf R, Fiesta ST, Focus ST, all the Mini Cooper S models, Fiat 500 Abarth... we get plenty here! You can still find clean used Mazdaspeed3s and last gen WRXs and STIs.
    GTI/Golf R - Great other than Germans. Love my Mk VI
    Fiesta/Focus ST - I will check out the RS but that is all. Also my wife will never own a Ford.
    Mini - Maybe JCW but the hauling capacity is less than a Golf so I like the Golf better.
    Abarth - Small but sounds great.
    MS3 - Had a first gen Mazda3 5dr which was fun other than the crappy front struts which crapped out annually.

I guess I could buy a truck for random hauling things.

A BMW 2002Tii would be awesome but again, life things would get in the way of a toy.

EDIT: Actual next car will be a 2002 or 3 MB E320 from my MIL. They want to get rid of it and for $4K, it is worth just keeping around even if it only lasts a year or 2.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Currently, driving the ultimate Dad car -- Subaru Outback '05 -- but I'm not a dad yet.
    Moved from a '97 Honda Prelude SH, to '05 TL 6speed, to '02 WRX turbo wagon to the current autocraptastic Outback.
    Due to S/O complaints that she couldn't drive any of my previous cars, I picked up the Outback as a long term daily (also could not pass up the deal) and to shut her up. It's been 8 months and she still has not driven it yet. Needless to say, next car will most definitely be another manual.

As for whether or not it matches my style - I guess for me personally, it doesn't matter since i don't associate cars and style types.