Thread: Brand new dress shirts: Do you wash them first before having them tailored?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Brand new dress shirts: Do you wash them first before having them tailored?

I have some new CT dress shirts that need to be tailored. I am afraid that if I have the shirts tailored first and they happen to shrink after washing them for the first time, I am screwed.

If I cold wash and hang dry, I should be okay? In the absence of heat, are CT shirts known to shrink just by washing/hang drying?

Thanks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    You're gonna get a mixed bag of responses. I personally have 3 shirts, washed all 3 on cold and hang dried and did not see any shrinkage. But I have read others have had issues. Better to be safe and just go ahead and wash the shirts first, IMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Wash them as you normally would, then get them tailored. I see no reason not wash them first.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperTexan View Post
    You're gonna get a mixed bag of responses. I personally have 3 shirts, washed all 3 on cold and hang dried and did not see any shrinkage. But I have read others have had issues. Better to be safe and just go ahead and wash the shirts first, IMO.
    Agreed. To me, a new dress shirt destined for my tailor is an important piece and I want it to look great. What's the harm in taking the extra precaution? Even if you discover the shirt didn't shrink, you'll get it back nice and crisp, ready to wear out of your tailor's front door.

In any event, shrinkage in my CT shirts was negligible. They felt a smidge tighter in the chest and neck after first wash but I can't even tell now. I've had most of mine tailored and they feel fantastic. I just picked up a shirt from Kamakura and they actually "forced" me to try on a (washed) shirt in my size first because of this very reason.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Got 3 CT shirts a few months ago and they've had some fairly noticeable shrinkage - they were a tad big and are now small. I'm still the same weight that I was a few months ago when they got here, and my arms certainly haven't gotten any longer. Undecided if I'll order from them again but I'm leaning towards no.

UPDATE: I actually just looked, and the non-iron shirt has only shrunk minimally, if it all. The two "iron" shirts, on the other hand, have had noticeable problems with shrinking, to the point where the collar basically can't be buttoned and the shirts are tight across the shoulders. Neither problems exist in the non-iron, nor did they exist when the shirts first arrived.

I know people report shrinking issues with CTs, though I'm not sure they're as extreme as mine have been.
    Last edited by Crims; May 26th, 2015 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    627 Post(s)
    if I have 100% cotton, ironing-needed shirts, i always shrink them first on purpose, prior to tailoring. my brooks OCBD's all got warm washed and a mildly hot dry cycle, just in case.

non-irons, i always thought were so heavilty treated they don't really shrink? could be wrong.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    non-irons, i always thought were so heavilty treated they don't really shrink? could be wrong.
    My dress shirts are mainly Brooks Bros non-iron. I typically wash them in cold water and don't overdry them - and they don't seem to shrink.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    627 Post(s)
    i agree. I'm positive that all of my BB non-irons have never shrunk because similarly to you, they never see an iron, nor a hot water wash cycle, nor a hot dryer.