Thread: Carmina or Meermin help

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

Carmina or Meermin help

Greetings,

I am looking for some help from someone who has experience with either Meermin or Carmina. I have narrowed down my shoe selection to the following options. I am looking for help to the following questions as well.

1.) Does US customs generally add a huge fee to shoe imports?
    2.) If I wear a size 12D in allen edmonds would UK 11 be the best fit?

Here are the following options.....

1.) 10172 - DARK BROWN NATURCALF handwelted 290,00 $
    Last: New Ray

2.) Carmina Modern Classic in Brown $345 USD

Carmina model 80201. Simpson last

Thanks for any future help.

Kevin

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Those are both very narrow lasts, you better be sure they'll fit. Otherwise you'll be spending another $30-50 to send them back.

For sizing you should check out another forums with a thread dedicated to Carmina sizing help (google will show you it).

US customs is 8% if assessed and FedEx likes to add their scam fees. Standard post usually doesn't incur customs charges IME.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    I have heard the Meermin New Ray is narrow even compared to the 65 last of AE. As for Carmina, the Rain and Inca lasts fit similar to the 65 last and like jm722 said, the Simpson last is narrow. See if Carmina has some of their sale shoes in your size similar to what you want.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I have heard the Meermin New Ray is narrow even compared to the 65 last of AE. As for Carmina, the Rain and Inca lasts fit similar to the 65 last and like jm722 said, the Simpson last is narrow. See if Carmina has some of their sale shoes in your size similar to what you want.
    Definitely check carmina sales page. They have small and large sizes only, you may be able to get a nice one for s steal. Maybe even cordovan (it's an addiction)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    Go to the ask Andy forum and read momsdocs posts about Meermin. He has several Pair of Meermin and Carmina and in the shoe threads there they talk about shipping costs, customs fees and return policies
    Last edited by winghus; March 2nd, 2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typos

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    257 Post(s)
    If you want cordovan, Carmina is the best deal going right now, the dollar versus the euro makes the price good and they use Horween cordovan. Meermin uses Japanese cordovan which most say is not as good
    Last edited by winghus; March 2nd, 2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    did you see the new carmina website with mto groups?
    www.carminashoemaker.com

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I also wear a 12 D in Allen Edmonds and I have bought two pairs of Meermins (one being the exact shoe above in the New Ray Last. The other being loafers.) I got the Meermin loafers in 11 UK and they were two small. Very narrow toe box. I got the oxfords (New Ray last) in 11.5 UK and they were way too big. I had to sell both on eBay. Beautiful shoes but they just didn't fit me.
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Man I had the same issue..I went with the Meermin hiro last in 11uk..the toe box and middle of the shoe was too small for my foot. It definitely sucks..

Quote Originally Posted by theskillets View Post
    I also wear a 12 D in Allen Edmonds and I have bought two pairs of Meermins (one being the exact shoe above in the New Ray Last. The other being loafers.) I got the Meermin loafers in 11 UK and they were two small. Very narrow toe box. I got the oxfords (New Ray last) in 11.5 UK and they were way too big. I had to sell both on eBay. Beautiful shoes but they just didn't fit me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As for customs I'll weigh in. I used to work for DHL so I did a lot of this.

Anything under $200 of value coming into the US does not get taxed. Over $200 and it should be assessed taxes based on the value and the type commodity. In this case just from a quick online lookup leather shoes should be 8.5%.
    This of course depends on what the shipper writes on the commercial invoice, for example if they understate the value or put the wrong commodity code it may be different.

When sent through the postal system it is sort of a crap shoot and all the rules go out the window because they don't really have the manpower or technology to do it correctly.

For the DHL/UPS/FedEx shipments, under $2500 of value it is referred to as an informal import and usually the shipment is cleared electronically with US customs before it reaches the US and generally its never even looked at.

Over $2500 means that it goes through a formal import process and it is scrutinized a bit more and incurs a 25 dollar extra fee and may have a delay if the paperwork isn't correct.

It used to be that all apparel or shoes over 250 went through the formal process but they changed it a couple years ago to treat them the same as everything else, thank god!

Hopefully that takes some of the mystery out of it.

Also, some shippers will undervalue or write that its a gift or something. They do that at their own risk as willfully falsifying customs documents can get them in trouble or at least red flagged in certain countries where they'll then have a lot of difficulty shipping to as everthing they send will be inspected and penalized moving forward. Obviously no one wants to lose their entire future US customer base to save one person $20 so most probably won't do that.