Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $120 on the Magnificent Mile

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

$120 on the Magnificent Mile

I will be taking a trip to Chicago this long weekend where I will have some time to shop on the Magnificent Mile. I have a budget of about $100-$120. I am looking for a couple of things:

Nice flat front khaki or navy shorts (have one pair)
    Good underwear
    indigo jeans (have one pair of selvedge and two other pairs but they don't fit excellently)
    Nice sneakers and/or brown leather desert boots (have a pair of brown leather work boots, some worn chambray/canvas sneakers, a really chewed up pair Nike Lunarglide 4's. Adidas Gazelle or Stan Smith's maybe?)
    Good sunglasses (Ray Ban Wayfarers or alternative)
    Lightweight jacket (Needed since i lost my fantastic old navy field coat)
    Khaki pant (maybe, have a nice pair from J Crew)
    Polo (maybe, have two from BR)

What do you guys think I should get? For those familiar with the area; What places do you recommend? Is there any thrift/consignment? I could also save some of my money and take it to the new asheville outlets which just opened up in the area. What do you guys think about that?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Is your budget $120 total? Or per item? That''s a pretty healthy list if you only plan on a total of $120.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    @mjn082 It is $120 total, but I don't need to get everything on the list those are just the things I'm looking out for. Maybe like two or three things on the list.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Yea, $120 isn't going to stretch far unless you find some amazing deals. Luckily, there's a Nordstrom Rack and a Marshall's on the mile to help ease some of that cost. The Rayban's alone run $130.

There's also an H&M, Gap, and the aforementioned BR. No thrift or consignment on the mile, but if you head a little north you can find a few in the Lincoln Park/Lakeview area. Elliott's Consignment has always been a favorite amongst the consignment shoppers (I've only been once, and they had a decent selection).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A few ideas. There's a J. Crew at the 900 Shops on North Michigan Ave. Also on Oak Street, just past the mall, there is a Jack Spade store that I heard was having some really great deals since they are closing their physical locations. If you go the West Loop area there is a Goodwill that usually has a pretty decent menswear selection. Also as was mentioned above if you go to the Lincoln Park there's quite a few nice consignment shops on Lincoln Ave. In addition at 2352 N Clark St. there is an Urban Outfitters Surplus store. Usually I stay away from UO but I've found that this surplus store generally has some higher quality goods, especially shoes. This may have changed though since it's been a while since I've been there.

Also from the Mag. Mile via a quick train ride on the El, Wicker Park has quite a few great consignment shops and shoe stores.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    641 Post(s)
    Not trying to sound like mister moneybags or anything, but with such a limited budget, you'd me much better off shopping sales online. This is why i essentially only shop online these days.

On $120 budget (which admittedly is probably right around my budget for buying a few items...), you'll probably be in the range of mall-type brand items. All of these go on sale sporadically and semi-predictably online. I feel like you won't really get deals on that kind of stuff at a "upscale retail shopping area" built for the sorta... newly rich?

If you want to go down there and hang out and look around, and i think you can do well if you get some ice cream, browse in some shops. Try not to spend money. I typically think these sorts of luxury shops definitely don't pay their zillion dollar a sq ft rents by selling things for deep discounts, even if some of them try to say they give discounts.

In Boston, where I live, we have a similar strip on "Newbury Street". It starts out innocently enough with some solid brands like Allen Edmonds and Brooks Brothers, but it goes downhill fast with plenty of shops with $200 screened shirts, or other garbage made for tourists (like shirts with lobsters on them?). I've lived in Boston for ten years, and around boston for the previous 20 and, despite dropping in frequently, haven't ever found anything at any sort of substantial discount there enough for me to actually buy. This even goes with BB and AE stores, which are much easier and quite fruitful for me to shop online.

The only thing i've managed to get in my many vists has just been lots and lots of those ice creams :-D

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    FYI..the Jack Spade store is closed. I went by there shortly after their announcement to go all online.

I'm hoping that Jack Spade goes the route of the pop up shops like The Tie Bar and Bonobos. Those stores seem to generate more buzz than permanent stores.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thank you everyone for your advice. The primary item I'm searching for is a lightweight jacket. Do you guys know of a good-looking, inexpensive, decently high-quality and lightweight jacket from one of the stores on the mile and/or online?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by as9934 View Post
    Thank you everyone for your advice. The primary item I'm searching for is a lightweight jacket. Do you guys know of a good-looking, inexpensive, decently high-quality and lightweight jacket from one of the stores on the mile and/or online?
    What type of jacket? There's a Gap on the Mag Mile as well. JCrew is up just north of the Hancock Tower, and H&M is right across the street from the Hancock. There's also a Topman store, if you're into the hipster thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Preferably like an m65 field coat but any sort of lightweight jacket really. The one I was this but black.