Thread: Anyone have experience with Charles Tyrwhitt 'Classic Ft' (non-slim)?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Anyone have experience with Charles Tyrwhitt 'Classic Ft' (non-slim)?

To experiment with different fits, I recently purchased a few Slim and Extra Slim fit shirts from CT ($29.00 USD). I followed CT's sizing guide as well as Shirt Detectives write-up about the January 2015 change in sizing. I have a slim waist, fairly big chest and very wide lats. At the office, I wear dress shirts (2nd button opened, no tie or jacket) and trousers/khakis.

CT Extra Slim Fit: So tight I couldn't breathe.
    CT Slim Fit: It was perfect around the waist and forearms. The shirt was borderline tight around my biceps. The chest was tight, especially around the the 3rd button area.

Not sure what is going on. I am thinking about exchanging for a CT Classic Fit and then taking them to my tailor if needed. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried the CT classics....how blousy are we talking? I can't afford MTM at the moment. I am also considering experimenting with the Spier and Mackay 'contemporary' line.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarizo View Post
    To experiment with different fits, I recently purchased a few Slim and Extra Slim fit shirts from CT ($29.00 USD). I followed CT's sizing guide as well as Shirt Detectives write-up about the January 2015 change in sizing. I have a slim waist, fairly big chest and very wide lats. At the office, I wear dress shirts (2nd button opened, no tie or jacket) and trousers/khakis.

CT Extra Slim Fit: So tight I couldn't breathe.
    CT Slim Fit: It was perfect around the waist and forearms. The shirt was borderline tight around my biceps. The chest was tight, especially around the the 3rd button area.

Not sure what is going on. I am thinking about exchanging for a CT Classic Fit and then taking them to my tailor if needed. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried the CT classics....how blousy are we talking? I can't afford MTM at the moment. I am also considering experimenting with the Spier and Mackay 'contemporary' line.
    Like most things, it really depends on your build. I know others will comment here about how even the Slim Fits aren't slim enough, but in my experience, with my proportions—broad shoulders and chest, below average 4-inch drop in my waist even though I'm not fat but just have a wide frame—I found the Slim Fits to fit as you described. For me, either sizing up in the Slim Fit or going with the Classic Fit in my normal size is the way to go. If I didn't wear them with jackets, I'd probable have them tailored, but I don't wear dress shirts without a jacket so the extra fabric, while not terrible, gets tucked in the back. I also don't feel comfortable wearing shirts as slim as a lot of guys on this and other forums seem to like.

Because you don't wear them with ties, and so a smaller neck won't really affect you, you could also try sizing down in the Classic Fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    @kmarizo -- I literally just went through the exact same scenario as you about 2 months ago with CT shirts. Had no experience with their sizing so tried all 3. Could hardly button the ESF, the Slim Fit was good everywhere except the lat/chest area and the shoulders were too tight. I ended up keeping the Classic Fit Shirt in my true neck size and they fit great in the shoulders and chest/lat area, however, I will definitely have to make a trip to the tailor once I get a chance because they are very loose in the body and upper arm/bicep area. On a few of the shirts I actually found the forearm area to be a little tight, but then huge in the bicep area. For me though, the Classic Fit worked out and since I jumped on the same deal as you at $29, I feel like another $15 for each shirt at the tailor will get a really nice fitting shirt. Hope this helps.