Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1,400.00 to Spend at Bloomingdale's

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

$1,400.00 to Spend at Bloomingdale's

I recently got a new job, and as a gift to myself, I bought a watch I had wanted for years. After searching for the best deal I could get on the watch, I found that deal to be at Bloomingdale's. Specifically, they gave me a gift card for $1,400.00 to use on ANYTHING at the store. I'm getting my mom a Michael Kors watch that she had wanted, and my brother said he doesn't want anything. So the rest is for me. Before I ask my question, here's what I think you'd need to know:

1. I'm an attorney in NYC, so I have a large need for work clothes.
    2. I've been an attorney for about 6 years, so I have a lot of work clothes (suits, dress shirts, ties, dress shoes, etc.) already.
    3. I already have a lot of the other basics that I think a guy should own (tuxedo, navy blazer, some business casual dress pants, wool overcoat, trench coat, etc.).

So my general question is ... what do you think I should get? More wardrobe staples/things like that? Or something a little more out there/risky? Or a different type of necessity, like luggage? And I don't shop at Bloomingdale's much (I can rarely afford it), so if you have a suggestion for a specific item/brand, that would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    How about a briefcase or shoulder bag?

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    1. Leather jacket
    2. General thoughts: You can get a lot of small things, like $250-300 shirts that are quite nice, or you can get a few (or one) superlative item. I'd opt for the latter since you otherwise would never drop that amount of money in one blow on yourself. You'd appreciate it more, I think, than many smaller buys. That being said, some of the things I am about to recommend may be in the smaller-dollar range:
    3. Recommended items/brands
    - Buttero sneakers
    - Eton shirts
    - Hermes cologne
    - Hilditch & Key Shirts
    - Tom Ford cologne
    - Eidos Napoli anything (what I'd do) - the in store selection should be much better than what's online, they have some excellent safari jackets, S/S sportcoats, popovers, polos, etc.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    If you're a watch guy, you could always get another watch.

P.S. Must have been a pretty nice watch if it got you a $1400 gift card. Can we see some pics?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Or you can always buy something nice to your mom or the significant other in your life.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    After buying something for your mom, save the credit for something you need or put it towards your reward for your next promotion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    I second the briefcase idea.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    404 Post(s)
    I would read the fine print on the credit, to see how it lasts. I also suggest looking what clothes you have in certain categories. For example; take inventory of your shoes, ask yourself if you think you have too many shoes, if not then list the types of shoes you don't have, and ask if you really want them. For example, do you want a brogue single monk?

If you don't have a briefcase, I think you should have one, being a lawyer and all.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    If the credit doesn't expire anytime soon, and you "don't shop at Bloomingdale's much" because you can rarely afford it, I'd hold the credit rather than blowing it because it's there. This lets you slowly shop at Bloomingdale's for a few months, and pick up things that you would have picked up anyways, not just because you got a shopping spree.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    What about a Noguchi coffee table? Or Tolomeo desk lamp or bed side lamps? They have some great furniture classics - and can order even more - from the Bloomingdale's flagship. Or even a mattress?