Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spier & Mackay Shirts: First Impressions

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperTexan View Post
    Decided to give them a try after some recommendations on this forum, and thought I would share my experience.
    Thanks for the review! Glad you are happy with the contemporary. I personally wear the contemporary and can only imagine getting into the slim. I carry around extra winter weight all year round That said, the slim works incredibly well for a lot of folks. It outsells the contemporary nearly 2:1, even with many coming in store to try on in person. Best bet is to refer to the size chart and compare the measurements to something similar and decide from there. If you need further help, Customer Service can always help.

Re: OCBD collar roll. We were inspired by the roll found on the Kamakura shirts and pretty much followed that (They were in turn inspired by BB of the 1960's). Points are 3.5". Give it a couple of washes to let it settle itself. The butterfly used in packing doesn't allow it to sit properly and sort of temporarily reshapes it. As there is no interlining in the leaf, its very soft and takes shape naturally. I'm trying to figure out the best means to pack these moving forward.

As for the quality, I have yet to find another shirt at this price point (or even up to $100) that has a proper bias split yoke, pattern matching, natural shell buttons, Wendler Swiss interlining or single needle stitching. CT does not. I don't think even Ledbury has a split yoke or pattern matching. Our OTR shirts are the same quality as our custom shirts. No compromise.

We stay away from Non-Iron for the moment because of the chemical process associated with them. There are a couple of new physical processes coming on to the market that have some promise and we are watching those closely. That said, most of the fabrics we use are woven from a very long staple of Egyptian Cotton that has a very high twist, which keeps the shirts relatively fresh looking throughout the day. Mind you, they will wrinkle slightly if any, but not those unsightly kind of wrinkles associated with cheaper quality cottons.

Cheers!
    Rick

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcm View Post
    The only problem is they do not offer a fit guarantee like a lot of MTM places do. I took the risk and it worked out. With the $20 CAD off multi buy deals they have I may just do S&M for all of my shirts in the future. Although their fabric selection isn't terrific at this point. I would imagine they would offer some more fabrics in the future though.
    Glad your MTM shirt worked out for you. The reason we do not offer a "fit guarantee" is because we do not build the risk into our pricing as other makers inherently do. For example, our MTM shirts are as little as $59 CAD (approx. $48 USD - UNDER $50 mind you) Shirts from Ratio, Proper Cloth and even Luxire (Luxire has the advantage of operating directly out of India, their overhead and operational costs are much less) are much more expensive and require you to ship the shirt back to them on your dime. For first time, first shirt customers we offer a remake at 50% the cost paid. So a remake would be $29.5 CAD or approx $24 USD, which is still less than some competitors. We think this is a fair approach.

As for fabrics, we have a whole bunch on the way to us and new stuff will go up this week. If you are looking for anything specific, pls email us and we'll do our best to find it.

Cheers,
    Rick

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpierMackay View Post
    As for fabrics, we have a whole bunch on the way to us and new stuff will go up this week. If you are looking for anything specific, pls email us and we'll do our best to find it.
    Looking forward to it. Like I said with your prices and quality it will be difficult to convince me to buy from anywhere else. I have an university stripe OCBD and a blue pencil check poplin on the way. I'm going to wear the OCBD a few times and if it works out for me as I expect, I'll be ordering a few more. Would love to see a burgundy university stripe .

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcm View Post
    Looking forward to it. Like I said with your prices and quality it will be difficult to convince me to buy from anywhere else. I have an university stripe OCBD and a blue pencil check poplin on the way. I'm going to wear the OCBD a few times and if it works out for me as I expect, I'll be ordering a few more. Would love to see a burgundy university stripe .
    Tada!
    http://www.spierandmackay.com/search...chtext=CNS-822

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpierMackay View Post
    Haha. Boom! Nice. I'll add that to my next order

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Any consideration to the lowered second button? I know that is a major driving force for sales to one of your competitors (cough, ledbury, cough cough).

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manceptional View Post
    Any consideration to the lowered second button? I know that is a major driving force for sales to one of your competitors (cough, ledbury, cough cough).
    They're considering it. Rick posts a lot of questions to get consumer input on their SF affiliate page, I highly recommend subscribing to it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manceptional View Post
    Haha, the consensus from our customers has been to take a more European approach of moving the first button up along with the rest of the buttons. This brings the 2nd button into a position where you can comfortably keep the first button open, and still not have much chest showing, giving a more relaxed feel, which is what you would expect when keeping the button undone.

We already have some shirts in production that will feature this change. Should be in our hands by May. That said, the current crop because of how our collars sit, even with first button undone, you do not get a crazy amount of chest. I personally wear it this way on a daily basis and not once have I felt it was too much.

BTW, the average Ledbury shirt is nearly 3.5x the price. Not sure if we actually consider them competitors. But it's nice to be mentioned in the same sentence!
    Last edited by SpierMackay; April 24th, 2015 at 10:35 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    I only have one SM shirt, also in Contemporary Fit, and it is definitely one of my best fitting shirts (collection mostly includes CT ESF or SF, a few Kamakura, Jcrew, etc.). I recently bought a few more CT shirts in Slim Fit using the LivingSocial deal, but the changes they made to the fit just don't work for me. I'm not sure what the problem is, but the shoulders are wonky. I think it has to due with a really low armhole, but I haven't done any measuring yet (just got them yesterday).

Anyway, I'd like to get more SM shirts in the future (how are those full spread, conservative blue or white shirts coming, Rick? ). My only complaint about the SM shirt I have is that the forearms are constricting, and because there is just one large pleat at the cuff I get weird twisting wrinkles. @SpierMackay, have you considered using more than one pleat in the shirt cuff? I think the one large pleat (its about an inch deep!) is the problem for me, and a few smaller pleats would probably solve the problem:

Otherwise, its well made, and the price is right. Now that SM is stocking more business-appropriate shirts (and the new OCBDs) I see myself picking a few up in the next few weeks as I replace some other shirts in my closet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I only have one SM shirt, also in Contemporary Fit, and it is definitely one of my best fitting shirts (collection mostly includes CT ESF or SF, a few Kamakura, Jcrew, etc.). I recently bought a few more CT shirts in Slim Fit using the LivingSocial deal, but the changes they made to the fit just don't work for me. I'm not sure what the problem is, but the shoulders are wonky. I think it has to due with a really low armhole, but I haven't done any measuring yet (just got them yesterday).

Anyway, I'd like to get more SM shirts in the future (how are those full spread, conservative blue or white shirts coming, Rick? ). My only complaint about the SM shirt I have is that the forearms are constricting, and because there is just one large pleat at the cuff I get weird twisting wrinkles. @SpierMackay, have you considered using more than one pleat in the shirt cuff? I think the one large pleat (its about an inch deep!) is the problem for me, and a few smaller pleats would probably solve the problem:

Otherwise, its well made, and the price is right. Now that SM is stocking more business-appropriate shirts (and the new OCBDs) I see myself picking a few up in the next few weeks as I replace some other shirts in my closet.
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I've not come across this problem before, but I'll pass the images along to my tailor and see if they have a solution.

The CBD are in progress. We have to have a min. sell through rate on our current stock before I can order more new product in the same fabrics or else we get overloaded and lose the variety that our customers really love. I think it's not more than a couple of months out. Def. before the fall season.