Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orient Watches on Massdrop, the possible sub-$100 Bambino

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Orient Watches on Massdrop, the possible sub-$100 Bambino

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm here in part to boost a poll I started. With that said...

For the uninitiated, Massdrop is a site on which members vote for products they would like to see on the site. After 200 total votes in a poll, Massdrop contacts the manufacturer directly and arranges a bulk purchase of the winner of the poll, and sometimes one or two the runners-up if there is enough interest in the poll. Once Massdrop makes an initial deal with the manufacturer, users then "commit" to the sale. The more people commit, the lower the price drops.

I was a little skeptical at first, so I lurked for a while until items that really piqued my interest started to turn up. They feature some pretty ridiculous stuff ($500 fountain pens, goofy pocket knives, super high end audio equipment, etc), but by picking the categories on the site you're interested in you can generally separate the wheat from the chaff. They frequently have grooming and style items, and I've seen a wave of selvedge jeans, automatic watches, and high-end grooming products recently. The most recent example of just how effective Massdrop can be was their recent feature of the original Orient Bambino. They only offered the white dial version, unfortunately, but the price went down to $99 by the end of the drop.

I've been drooling over the gen II Bambino with the stainless case, white dial, and rose gold numerals and hands (ER2400BW) for ages now, and the poll I started for that particular model seems to be gaining momentum. If anybody is interested in that model or some of the other versions of the gen II (that's the version with Roman numerals), kindly check out my poll. https://www.massdrop.com/vote/sub-20...atches-part-ii

If the original Bambino is more your speed, they will bring it back if enough people request it (with 300+ requests, it looks like that'll definitely happen at this point). You can do so here. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/orient-...h/talk#!166603

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    I'm voting for the blue hands! If that pops up on Massdrop (or anywhere really) for $100 I
    'm going to be all over it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    @mattface If you are referring to the blue hands model shown in Joe's review last year I will be there with you. It's a very classy looking watch.
    Matt Dalton

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdalton View Post
    @mattface If you are referring to the blue hands model shown in Joe's review last year I will be there with you. It's a very classy looking watch.
    Yes that's the one I mean. VOTE!
    Last edited by mattface; April 8th, 2015 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    @mattdalton If you haven't checked it out yet, I included that one as a option in my poll. I adore that white/rose gold, but that's my second choice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Just an update on the poll, we're currently 27 votes from this drop going through. The cream/blue hands Bambino is in the lead, with the white/rose gold/stainless Bambino not too far behind. We're almost there, guys. We just need a little help.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/sub-20...atches-part-ii

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)
    The cream with blue got my vote.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Cream with blue got my vote too
    Matt Dalton

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    207 votes now... cream w/ blue hands is far ahead of the pack.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    732 Post(s)
    Was thinking of getting this then noticed they released a white with blue hands...since I hate cream, that's what I'm going with. Sorry..