Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

I love loafers in the summer. I am also considering picking up a pair, and so I have a vested interest in productive discussion .

In my opinion loafers fall into two camps - penny and tassel. Yes, there are others like wholecuts, but really, 99% of the time you're buying one of those two. Furthermore, the leather falls into one of several camps (assuming quality), calfskin, chromexel, cordovan, or suede.

Alden also seems to be the undisputed leader in almost every category. We could sit here all day and link alden loafers - they've got 'em all, and they all look good. Rather, I think we should make it a challenge to leave alden out of this. However, it's an open discussion, so do what you will!

For calfskin pennies, these rancourts came out of left field to me, but I really like them. Definitely considering purchasing, especially considering their price relative to Alden, with arguably similar quality.

What do you all own... or WANT to own?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    I really like the look of the AE Addisons

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwwilker View Post
    I really like the look of the AE Addisons
    I agree - and while some may not like the color of that sole, it doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty recent convert to loafers, but I have the zeal of a convert. Unfortunately, all of mine are Aldens, so I have to violate the ground rules out of the gate. I have two pairs of LHS penny loafers, one color 8 shell cordovan and one snuff suede. They are ridiculously comfortable, though I haven't had much opportunity to wear the suede ones yet. I expect they will get a lot of use this spring and summer. I also have a pair of Alden tassel loafers. It's still a look I'm getting used to seeing on my feet, but I like it.

As a general matter, I find that I prefer the LHS style penny loafer (as in the AE Addisons) to the full strap style (like these:http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-cont...d1-684x336.jpg). I'm also not a huge fan of beefroll style penny loafers, though I could probably be swayed on that if I saw the right pair.

In addition, beyond what @nova mentioned, there are also horsebit loafers, which I don't really like at all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I agree - and while some may not like the color of that sole, it doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty recent convert to loafers, but I have the zeal of a convert. Unfortunately, all of mine are Aldens, so I have to violate the ground rules out of the gate. I have two pairs of LHS penny loafers, one color 8 shell cordovan and one snuff suede. They are ridiculously comfortable, though I haven't had much opportunity to wear the suede ones yet. I expect they will get a lot of use this spring and summer. I also have a pair of Alden tassel loafers. It's still a look I'm getting used to seeing on my feet, but I like it.

As a general matter, I find that I prefer the LHS style penny loafer (as in the AE Addisons) to the full strap style (like these:http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-cont...d1-684x336.jpg). I'm also not a huge fan of beefroll style penny loafers, though I could probably be swayed on that if I saw the right pair.

In addition, beyond what @nova mentioned, there are also horsebit loafers, which I don't really like at all.
    Do you have any pictures of yourslef in the tassel loafers? I'm debating between those or the LHS in tan suede and just cannot make up my mind...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Picked these up two months ago and they are incredible:
    https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4337

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geauxtigers View Post
    Do you have any pictures of yourslef in the tassel loafers? I'm debating between those or the LHS in tan suede and just cannot make up my mind...
    This is a pic from a Sunday Challenge or WIWT a few weeks back:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    This is a pic from a Sunday Challenge or WIWT a few weeks back:
    Thanks! They look great! I used to be completely against them, but now I think I really want to try a pair.. It's funny how that happens.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)

Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

Thank you. That's about how it went for me, too. Maybe it was just finding the right pair that didn't look too weird to my eyes.

I suppose the same thing could happen with horse bit loafers. I don't see it, but who knows?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    207 Post(s)
    I love the look, and have been coveting a pair of the Rancourt beefroll penny loafers. I think they look awesome.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Thank you. That's about how it went for me, too. Maybe it was just finding the right pair that didn't look too weird to my eyes.

I suppose the same thing could happen with horse bit loafers. I don't see it, but who knows?
    I just imagine the conversation I would have if I wore them.

Other Person: So are you a pilgrim?
    Me: Um, no, these are horsebit loafers, not buckle shoes
    Other Person: What now?
    Me: There are horsebits on my shoe.
    Other Person: Shouldn't they be in the horse's mouth?
    Me: Yes, yes they should.