Thread: Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

I love loafers in the summer. I am also considering picking up a pair, and so I have a vested interest in productive discussion .

In my opinion loafers fall into two camps - penny and tassel. Yes, there are others like wholecuts, but really, 99% of the time you're buying one of those two. Furthermore, the leather falls into one of several camps (assuming quality), calfskin, chromexel, cordovan, or suede.

Alden also seems to be the undisputed leader in almost every category. We could sit here all day and link alden loafers - they've got 'em all, and they all look good. Rather, I think we should make it a challenge to leave alden out of this. However, it's an open discussion, so do what you will!

For calfskin pennies, these rancourts came out of left field to me, but I really like them. Definitely considering purchasing, especially considering their price relative to Alden, with arguably similar quality.

What do you all own... or WANT to own?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    I really like the look of the AE Addisons

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwwilker View Post
    I really like the look of the AE Addisons
    I agree - and while some may not like the color of that sole, it doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty recent convert to loafers, but I have the zeal of a convert. Unfortunately, all of mine are Aldens, so I have to violate the ground rules out of the gate. I have two pairs of LHS penny loafers, one color 8 shell cordovan and one snuff suede. They are ridiculously comfortable, though I haven't had much opportunity to wear the suede ones yet. I expect they will get a lot of use this spring and summer. I also have a pair of Alden tassel loafers. It's still a look I'm getting used to seeing on my feet, but I like it.

As a general matter, I find that I prefer the LHS style penny loafer (as in the AE Addisons) to the full strap style (like these:http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-cont...d1-684x336.jpg). I'm also not a huge fan of beefroll style penny loafers, though I could probably be swayed on that if I saw the right pair.

In addition, beyond what @nova mentioned, there are also horsebit loafers, which I don't really like at all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I agree - and while some may not like the color of that sole, it doesn't bother me. I'm a pretty recent convert to loafers, but I have the zeal of a convert. Unfortunately, all of mine are Aldens, so I have to violate the ground rules out of the gate. I have two pairs of LHS penny loafers, one color 8 shell cordovan and one snuff suede. They are ridiculously comfortable, though I haven't had much opportunity to wear the suede ones yet. I expect they will get a lot of use this spring and summer. I also have a pair of Alden tassel loafers. It's still a look I'm getting used to seeing on my feet, but I like it.

As a general matter, I find that I prefer the LHS style penny loafer (as in the AE Addisons) to the full strap style (like these:http://leathersoulhawaii.com/wp-cont...d1-684x336.jpg). I'm also not a huge fan of beefroll style penny loafers, though I could probably be swayed on that if I saw the right pair.

In addition, beyond what @nova mentioned, there are also horsebit loafers, which I don't really like at all.
    Do you have any pictures of yourslef in the tassel loafers? I'm debating between those or the LHS in tan suede and just cannot make up my mind...

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geauxtigers View Post
    Do you have any pictures of yourslef in the tassel loafers? I'm debating between those or the LHS in tan suede and just cannot make up my mind...
    This is a pic from a Sunday Challenge or WIWT a few weeks back:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    This is a pic from a Sunday Challenge or WIWT a few weeks back:
    Thanks! They look great! I used to be completely against them, but now I think I really want to try a pair.. It's funny how that happens.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)

I can't believe I forgot horsebits. I suppose because I just have an aversion to them - I'm not trying to look like an 80's wall street broker, after all.

I do love the Alden LHS in snuff suede - they're probably the only company that makes a loafer like that, and I will probably purchase a pair going forward. Same with the cordovan. One thing at a time, though!

I bet I could convert you to beefroll loafers. The important thing is to realize that they're exclusively casual shoes - you don't wear them with anything other than rumpled chinos / jeans / shorts and a button-down or similar look. It's very much a take ivy thing. Think Kennedy on the weekends. I would love a pair, but they're just such a low priority for me right now - I'm a recent college graduate, so I'm more focused on workplace attire than weekend attire when considering my purchases.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Shomas,
    How do you know about leathersoulhawaii.com? Also, I plan on buying three pair of Aldens: one pair of shell cordovan loafers, one pair of tassel loafers, and another shoe to make a complete collection with seven pair of dress shoes one for each day. Do you know anything about when Aldens go on sale? Also, I have learned a lot about creating your own style from your posts and appreciate you sharing some of your knowledge.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Shomas,
    How do you know about leathersoulhawaii.com? Also, I plan on buying three pair of Aldens: one pair of shell cordovan loafers, one pair of tassel loafers, and another shoe to make a complete collection with seven pair of dress shoes one for each day. Do you know anything about when Aldens go on sale? Also, I have learned a lot about creating your own style from your posts and appreciate you sharing some of your knowledge.
    Thanks! Leather Soul is one of those retailers that often has cool Alden makeups. Not sure where I first heard of them, but it was probably Styleforum.

Aldens don't often go on sale. Seconds through the Shoemart are about the closest thing that happens with any regularity (but that can be dodgy, given the quality issues you sometimes find with Alden seconds). About once a year, J Crew screws up and allows a sale code to be applied to Aldens, but that's nothing you can rely on. Sales happen here and there at Haberdash, Unionmade, or Need Supply.

You just need to sort of keep your ear to the ground. I recommend following the Styleforum Alden thread to do that - though it can be a bit daunting given the volume of posts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Thanks! Leather Soul is one of those retailers that often has cool Alden makeups. Not sure where I first heard of them, but it was probably Styleforum.

Aldens don't often go on sale. Seconds through the Shoemart are about the closest thing that happens with any regularity (but that can be dodgy, given the quality issues you sometimes find with Alden seconds). About once a year, J Crew screws up and allows a sale code to be applied to Aldens, but that's nothing you can rely on. Sales happen here and there at Haberdash, Unionmade, or Need Supply.

You just need to sort of keep your ear to the ground. I recommend following the Styleforum Alden thread to do that - though it can be a bit daunting given the volume of posts.
    I checked out the Alden forum, and it was crazy! I have never seen people with so much knowledge on one shoe brand. Do you have any other high quality brands you like?