Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Quality Summer Loafers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Alden Cape Cods are nice - they are Blake welted and I believe they are made by Quoddy, so roughly equivalent to Rancourt. They are actually the only loafers I've ever liked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    I picked up a pair in grey suede. Best $35 I've spent in recent memory.
    Darn how did you manage $35?

Varsity Member jharrisonbarrett's Avatar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Picked these up two months ago and they are incredible:
    https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4337
    Nice! I have been looking at this company for a good amount of time but never bit the bullet because of international shipping to the US. How do these shoes fit?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJBianco View Post
    The toe stitching looks too clean to be made in USA. Were they made in England? (Maybe by Crockett & Jones?) I've owned a pair of C&J-made Polo RL penny loafers before, and they were very well made. Worth the money, especially on sale. =)

Those look a little more on the dressier side for my east coast tastes, but they look sharp. I like them a lot.

Christopher
    I'm from the west coast and loafers are the last frontier for me. I have not had a pair since I was about 10 and I am late 30's now

What makes these less or more formal in your eyes? Is it the heal or the refined stitching or both? To me the rounded toe is more American and casual than the sleeker European loafers I see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_anon View Post
    I'm from the west coast and loafers are the last frontier for me. I have not had a pair since I was about 10 and I am late 30's now

What makes these less or more formal in your eyes? Is it the heal or the refined stitching or both? To me the rounded toe is more American and casual than the sleeker European loafers I see.
    That's funny. I originally typed "formal," but then changed it to "dressier." =)

I can't see the heel from the photo he posted, but you're right about the stitching. It's definitely more refined (with tighter stitching and thinner thread). It's also burnished which is something you don't find on many USA-made penny loafers. (We tend to like our penny loafers a little more artisanal/imperfect.) However, the real clue is that it's not a beefroll. The beefroll is more casual (the most casual of the traditional penny loafer styles, I'd argue) because of its meaty side-rolls.

But I could be wrong. Often am. =)

Christopher

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Trying to find a loafer similar to the J Crew Ludlow... half strap, low stitching, sort of contrasting heel and that nice dark brown color. It is pretty sharp but doesn't sound too comfortable from the reviews.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The word quality in the thread title brings to mind a show Mephisto has made for maybe 20+ years now. Goes by the name is Cap Vert, IMO the Rust color is as nice as it gets in a slip on loafer, the Cordovan color is just a bit dressier.

Edit to add: The width is just slightly more than an Allen Edmonds "E" width, (not EE, single E).

I's place the Allen Edmonds mentioned a close second...
    Quote Originally Posted by jwwilker View Post
    I really like the look of the AE Addisons
    Last edited by Jaded Hedonist; April 29th, 2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Add width fit note

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jharrisonbarrett View Post
    Nice! I have been looking at this company for a good amount of time but never bit the bullet because of international shipping to the US. How do these shoes fit?
    It's definitely worth it to wait until you want to order two pairs, that way you feel the shipping is worth it. The lasts are a bit different depending on which shoe you order. i.e. I started out with the double monks in 9.5 UK / 10.5 US and they fit snug (not uncomfortable). I then ordered the string loafers in the same size and they are a bit loose. At the same time, I also ordered a pair of Group MTO Cherry Boots and those are tight; hope they loosen up after a number of wears. I'm guessing StyleForum may have more detailed description of the various lasts but at the end of the day they are, relatively speaking, true to size.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    Nice! Any idea about the fit on those? I have pretty wide feet (but often get tempted by things that don't come in widths - works out sometimes, not always). Hard to beat the price.