Thread: Automatic watches - starting and stopping

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)

Automatic watches - starting and stopping

Folks,

I have two automatic watches in my collection and just ordered a third. Presently I will charge up the watch when I start wearing it, and as I wear the watch throughout the day the watch keeps time - obviously. In most cases if I take the watch off overnight, the watch will still have the correct time the next day. Great. Here's the thing though, because I own several other watches, I may not wear this watch again for another three to five days or longer. During this time, the watch stops running - obviously. Then I need to charge it up again when it comes time to wear it.

My question is, does this constant starting/stopping of the watch damage it at all? I'm reluctant to invest in a watch winder as the last one I owned didn't work for my automatic watch; I only owned one at the time. No matter how long I left the watch on there, the winder never seemed to charge it.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    It doesn't hurt the watch to stop. Some argue that keeping a watch working at all times like on a winder adds to more wear over time but if it is your only watch then it doesn't matter. I have a watch I wear once a month and just shake it a bit, set the time and date and go. I would say the worst part is if it doesn't have a quickset date.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    I am in the same boat. I just strap it on while I get dressed and set it before I leave the house. I haven't had mine long enough to say if it causes any issues though. Logic tells me that it saves wear and tear to let it stop. Also, drastic shaking to get it started seems like a potential for problem. It doesn't take much to get them going again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    402 Post(s)
    Why not keep your watches on a pendulum?

I think resetting it every time you wear it is the best way to keep it accurate anyway. Unless you have a watch with complications that are difficult to reset, I think winders kinda go against the whole romantic idea of automatic watches.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    Thanks!