Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Rolex GMT Pepsi and other expensive watches

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1456 Post(s)
    @JBarwick thanks for the info on the 16750. I'll do some checking around.

@Evenflow, good tip on the Seamaster. I've seen some older/vintage Seamasters on line, so maybe I'll give them a second look. Trouble is I thought the prices were still quite high. The images that came back for/on google were all for newer models although I have no idea what type of price I'd be looking at here.

@ryan Thanks.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    You really need to look through sales threads to answer question #1 and read as much as you can on the Rolex forum on watchuseek.com for a lot of your other answers.

As far as buyers remorse . . . yes and no. I'd never again buy a watch brand new unless you knew you loved it because you will lose money when you go to resell. If you're not sure, buy used. That way if it's something you get tired of, it should be easy to get most of your money back. My Omega PO2500 and Speedy I bought brand new and I have no remorse with either of them. But then again, both of them are classic. I think the pepsi GMT is pretty classic as well so I don't think you have anything to be worried about.

If you are buying used, try to get a complete kit - box, papers, warranty card, etc. That will help when you go to resell it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    123 Post(s)
    5-6K USD is what you'll normally see for a Pepsi GMT. As for recommendations, I would find one with Box and Papers. Many don't find these important, but it's much easier to sell your GMT back into the marketplace if you have Box and Papers. It'll also help with holding the resale value and gives you more likelihood that the watch you're buying is real (but does NOT guarantee it as real). Make sure the Box and Papers match with the GMT model you're buying (papers should match watch's serial number. Box should match the "era" in which the watch was produced as box designs have changed over time.) Other things to consider to help resale value down the road:
    1) an overpolished watch is generally less valuable to collectors. What this looks like is the sharp edges ("bevels") of the case will look dull or worn down from being polished frequently over time
    2) if you have a choice, choose a watch that includes all the bracelet links (usually 13 links on an Oyster bracelet. Not sure how many originally come with a Jubilee but these are uncommon on Pepsi GMTs anyways)
    3) if you can, find a bracelet that has less "stretch" which means less space between each link. This will happen naturally overtime but eventually you'll have to repair or replace the bracelet because of this, which is costly. You'd want to get a bracelet that isn't overly "stretched" already
    4) if the watch has been serviced recently, that's awesome and you'll likely pay a premium for it. If it hasn't been serviced within the last 5-7+ years, expect to maybe need to put in another $300-1K depending if you go with a 3rd party servicer or Rolex service

Depending on the seller's asking price, you can expect to knock off a couple to several hundred USD.

Lastly, a very reputable Rolex dealer is Jacek from HQmilton.com. They specialize in vintage pieces but you can normally find Pepsi GMTs there and be able to compare. Another reputable dealer (and who I've personally bought from) is David at davidsw.com. You won't find fairer prices than from the two above.

As always with grey market deals, you're buying the seller before the watch, I.e. If you have any reason to not trust the seller, stay away.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I don't like the looks of it, but then again I always preferred Dr. Pepper.

By the way, what makes it so dear? I mean besides the word Rolex on the dial. I always expected a $6000 dollar watch to be made with precious stones or to shoot lasers. It doesn't look that expensive.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I don't like the looks of it, but then again I always preferred Dr. Pepper.

By the way, what makes it so dear? I mean besides the word Rolex on the dial. I always expected a $6000 dollar watch to be made with precious stones or to shoot lasers. It doesn't look that expensive.
    What makes a classic car so dear when a modern subcompact could outperform it in every single metric? Things like this are not logical/rational.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)
    Ryn does bring up a good point. I went to my watch dealer the other day looking for an Omega Speedmaster and tried some on as well as a few Rolexs. I dont like either as they are too small for my wrist. I wont wear anything smaller than a 42 or 43 and these were both smaller. We started to talk about build quality and prices, etc. He told me that build quality of Rolexs were great in the 50's compared to what other makers were putting out there and that is how they branded themselves back then and it stuck, but he said Rolex now is an average built watch, if you peruse horologists around the net a lot say the same thing. He told me those watches in the 50s were also an affordable watch for most middle class people. He told me that with C&C machinery today the fakes are sometimes even better built then the real thing or almost impossible to tell the difference unless you are a pro. He also said if you take a look around, almost every person that wears a Rolex has an Submariner, GMT, or Explorer. He said that they have become the BMW of watches. The poor mans rich watch. He said most people buy them based on name solely or because theyve been worn by someone on tv that they want to emulate. He told me he could walk into a room wearing a hundred-thousand dollar Patek Phillipe and I could be weaing a six-grand Rolex and not one person would choose the Patek. Anyway, that is my two cents. I'm saving for a Breitling Super Avenger II and most people on here dont like that either but Rolex and Omegas to me are too boring. If I am spending 8 g's like I plan, I want something I like.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    Datejusts are popular.

It's a classic, competent timepiece, just as BMW is a classic, competent automobile.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    510 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Datejusts are popular.

It's a classic, competent timepiece, just as BMW is a classic, competent automobile.
    I would never question that, what I am questioning is the motivation of the people who buy them.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Ryn does bring up a good point. I went to my watch dealer the other day looking for an Omega Speedmaster and tried some on as well as a few Rolexs. I dont like either as they are too small for my wrist. I wont wear anything smaller than a 42 or 43 and these were both smaller. We started to talk about build quality and prices, etc. He told me that build quality of Rolexs were great in the 50's compared to what other makers were putting out there and that is how they branded themselves back then and it stuck, but he said Rolex now is an average built watch, if you peruse horologists around the net a lot say the same thing. He told me those watches in the 50s were also an affordable watch for most middle class people. He told me that with C&C machinery today the fakes are sometimes even better built then the real thing or almost impossible to tell the difference unless you are a pro. He also said if you take a look around, almost every person that wears a Rolex has an Submariner, GMT, or Explorer. He said that they have become the BMW of watches. The poor mans rich watch. He said most people buy them based on name solely or because theyve been worn by someone on tv that they want to emulate. He told me he could walk into a room wearing a hundred-thousand dollar Patek Phillipe and I could be weaing a six-grand Rolex and not one person would choose the Patek. Anyway, that is my two cents. I'm saving for a Breitling Super Avenger II and most people on here dont like that either but Rolex and Omegas to me are too boring. If I am spending 8 g's like I plan, I want something I like.
    The recent article on Hodinkee will shed some light on this whole argument of modern Rolex build quality. I would argue the best watch under $10K is the current Rolex GMT with cerachrom bezel. Nothing checks all the boxes quite as well or as often. You by a Rolex knowing it will last.

Also you can't put one of the Big 3 brands next to Rolex. They appeal to a different audience.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    I understand the appeal of the Rolex, but don't think I can justify spending that kind of money on a watch. I know a couple people who have them, and I think it is fair to say they bought them because they were a Rolex by name, not a Rolex buy build quality. Now that's not saying Rolex doesn't make a nice watch, but to each their own. No point in arguing over why people buy what, it's their money not mine.

I'm somewhat in the market for a new watch, but I've found myslef constantly walking back my price point as I do more research. I initially thought I wanted the Omega Aquaterra, then reduced that to the Ball Engineer II COSC, and now am thinking the Seiko SARX015 might be the way to go. I initially found it easy to justify the $5000 for the Omega as a lifetime watch, then found the Ball was basically everything the Omega was for $2500, and now I'm thinking well the Seiko is 90% of what I want at 10% of the price. Guess I'm just cheap
    Last edited by TKNumber3; March 21st, 2015 at 07:26 PM.