Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Rolex GMT Pepsi and other expensive watches

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    @Welsh what the hell is wrong with New England?
    @Shade i don't think fitting in and pack mentality comes into play too much with Rolex watches and younger people. Since I'm my only friend with one it would stick out actually not fit in.

For the price point they are built pretty damn well. Comparing them to PP, VC, AP is a different ball game.

Last time I checked watches (or higher end cars such as BMW, Ferrari, Aston etc.) are made on earth and not in heaven there will be issues. All things are impermanent and ever changing.

If a rolex is a poor mans rich watch I doubt they are that poor.
    Last edited by Brent k; March 22nd, 2015 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Enough of the name-calling children. Grow up.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    If a rolex is a poor mans rich watch I doubt they are that poor.
    Well said. Either that or they are just incredibly irresponsible financially and are running up debt they can't afford.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    People have already typed up those enthusiastic lists for you in spades. You're not asking for a discussion. You came on here with a statement that was bordering on trolling and now want someone to do a lot of typing for you even though I told you where to find the answer.

Could you list all the specs for the 2012 Honda Accord for me and for the 2015 Honda Accord and then highlight the differences. I'd like an enthusiastic list that I think would be the purpose of the discussion if this forum. Thanks.

I do not know why you must assume bad faith on my part. I am not looking for specs anyway.

I am not sure where these enthusiastic lists are. Yes, a couple of people have posted why they like the watch, but after my first post, and I think in response to that. Quite frankly, I have been disrupted by insults and accusations from continuing on that line of discussion.

I thought I asked a question that people would enjoy to answer, as opposed to inciting their derision. I didn't mean to question the value of the Rolex brand, nor to make a point.

I think people are reading things between the lines of my posts, things that are not in fact there. Even Shade, who seems to agree with me, misinterpreted my meaning. He argues that Rolex is overpriced compared to watches that are also way out of my budget. I don't know much about Rolex's or expensive watches in general (certainly not such expensive watches). I personally, don't see myself buying a watch over $60, but I don't see myself buying a painting either. However, I still enjoy looking at Rembrandts, or Lamboghinhis.

Anyway, some use of google has taught me that this particular model is discontinued (obviously affecting its vaule) and worn by Fidel Castro and Che.

I don't think someone can post on a forum about affordable clothing, that they are buying a $1000 watch and not expect to receive expressions of sticker shock.
    Last edited by ryn; March 22nd, 2015 at 05:10 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent k View Post
    I have multiple Rolex watches and Omega as well.

I have a coke bezel GMT-II 1991 modle year. I love it and wear it everyday. My sub sits and the datejusts are for dressier occasions. I am more a casual dresser.

6k for a newer model ain't shabby. You can find one cheaper.
    When you say I can find one cheaper, are we talking sub $5k here? If so, I have yet to come across that.

I can't recall if the $6k was for a newer model; what would you classify as a newer model? 90ies? I saw one use in the low 5s that was from the 1970/71 period. I find it interesting that the price on the GMT Roles does not fluctuate that much between the 70ies model and the 90ies model.

It is interesting that you wear your watch each day. I have approx. six watches in my collection and I try to rotate them in and out of my wardrobe on a daily basis. Shelling out $5k or $6k for a watch means I'll likely want to wear the watch as often as possible. This means my other watches will sit and not get worn. Hmm. I suppose I could still rotate the watches around. Nothing saying I'd have to wear it (the Rolex) on a daily basis.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    @DocDave - I have a 1991 Rolex 16710 GMT master II coke bezel original but of course you can swap bezels out with simple tools.

I paid $4k for mine a few years back. I personally stay away from big watch brokers. Like good watch co, chrono24, Becker time. Not becuase they are bad companies,they are really good companies, but be use of the mark up. I buy mine from personal collections or small shops as I find the prices are cheaper. It was $4300 but I talked him down. Small dealers that don't generally deal in "higher end" or expensive pieces I find want to unload them quicker as they take up more funds(capital whatever you wanna call it).

Of course I wear it daily. Vacation, up to conway New Hampshire hiking, swimming at my local beach. I don't wear it on my harley due to the harsh vibrations and I don't wear it while fixing up one of my cars that I tinker with. Other than that yeah. It's a watch I wear it daily. I also have driving my corvette is the rain and got caught in rain on the harley. Life happens.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    @DocDave yeah I have been thinking about trimming the collection. No point. I did sell my planet ocean 45.5XL a little bit ago. Turned a small profit on it.

Oh and this is an affordable style forum. When buying luxury items deals can still be had!

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    When you say I can find one cheaper, are we talking sub $5k here? If so, I have yet to come across that.

I can't recall if the $6k was for a newer model; what would you classify as a newer model? 90ies? I saw one use in the low 5s that was from the 1970/71 period. I find it interesting that the price on the GMT Roles does not fluctuate that much between the 70ies model and the 90ies model.
    I'm not in to Rolex so I can't tell you about the difference between each model but anytime you're buying a used watch make sure to account for the fact that it might need a maintenance. With Omega that will typically be around $600. I'm guessing Rolex maintenance will be in the $500-$1000 range unless the seller can provide documentation that it's been serviced in the last year or two.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1455 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I'm not in to Rolex so I can't tell you about the difference between each model but anytime you're buying a used watch make sure to account for the fact that it might need a maintenance. With Omega that will typically be around $600. I'm guessing Rolex maintenance will be in the $500-$1000 range unless the seller can provide documentation that it's been serviced in the last year or two.
    How often do you need to take your watch(es) in for maintenance?

@Brent k, thanks for the info. I'm not sure there are any small shops around my part of the world. I may have to do a bit of a roadtrip...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    It's about 600 bucks. I've had mine done once, in a decade. I have no idea how often they're actually supposed to go in. You also have to consider how you're going to protect it from theft. My agent wanted $495 a year for a rider on my watches, so I just bought a safe, before I had to also ask what the rider on the guns would be.