Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Rolex GMT Pepsi and other expensive watches

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    The recent article on Hodinkee will shed some light on this whole argument of modern Rolex build quality. I would argue the best watch under $10K is the current Rolex GMT with cerachrom bezel. Nothing checks all the boxes quite as well or as often. You by a Rolex knowing it will last.

Also you can't put one of the Big 3 brands next to Rolex. They appeal to a different audience.
    I dont see how one article is going to shine any light. Rolex is the Apple iPhone of the watch community, and many websites praise them. People who own them will stand by them to death. No one wants to pay 4 grand for something and have people say it isnt anything special. Google "Rolex is a waste of money", youll find lists of results as well. I also am not arguing build or quality, but I will argue that pretty much any brand that you are paying 4 grand for is on par with or better than Rolex, and even many cheap models are just as well built. Hell, I even bought a Fossil 20 years ago that still runs fine. I just find it funny that every person with 4 grand to blow on a watch all praise and buy the same brand and 3 models of a watch. I find it amusing and funny. If you also listen to Rolex they are adamant about getting your watch serviced by them every 5 years, which starts out at around 600 dollars, depending on the model, and can go up to thousands, just to have it serviced. Seems like a huge waste of money for a 4k watch. I would also argue that most people on the internet buying and defending Rolex dont know shit themselves about build or quality and only aper what they read from sites that are pro-Rolex from the get-go. I also stand by my argument that most people buy Rolex because it is a status symbol and dont know shit about watches. They buy it because every dude wants one because "James Bond wore one" or their favorite rapper had one on in their newest video.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    and for posterity, I am not saying anyone from here bought one for any of the reasons that I mentioned above. I am just speaking purely from the experiences Ive had pretty much everywhere. For all I know people here could have been left one from a grand father, be a watch maker, or something of the sort. This is purely for discussion and curiousity. Hell, you could say "I bought one just because I wanted one' and that is fine by me".

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    As far as a $6000 watch shooting lasers, that was a ridiculous comment too. He probably deserves a snarky comment in return for that.

Are Rolexes worth what they charge for them? Probably not. There is a definite difference between a Seiko to a Tissot to a Hamilton to a Rolex or Omega. But are Omega and Rolex raising the prices due to their name recognition - most definitely. I won't begrudge someone for wearing a Rolex since I'm not sure of their reasons. But I will look at them dubiously just like the people that have to have to wear a Buberry scarf or a Chanel whatever or 'drive a BMW'. Most do it to try and make others think they have money or to draw praise rom others. But the are some who actually know the quality difference or enjoy the stylings and aesthetics of that product.

I admit I bought my first Omega due to their marketing genius and relating it to Bond. Same with me and my first Aldens and their association with Indy. But after my 1st one, I started doing more and more research and delving more in that brand and it's products.

I own 3 Omegas now but I bought them because I like the way they look. I don't care if anyone else notices them or their opinion of them. It's because it appeals to me. Same reason I won't buy a Rolex. I don't like the look of most Rolexes and they are a bit too flashy for my taste.
    Last edited by bjmcgeever; March 22nd, 2015 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1435 Post(s)
    @Vicious49 thank you for the information/suggestion to go and look at the Rolex forum on WuS. I'll swing on by there and see what I can find out. The whole buyers remorse thing does concern me a little bit. I bought my Tag Kirium when I had landed my first 'real' job after school and wanted to treat myself. I didn't do a ton of research and bought what I liked at the time. This was over 12 ~ 14 years ago now. Had I to do it again, I'd likely have spent more time surfing the web and trying to find more reviews. I still like and enjoy the watch, and I still wear it several times a week, but as people say, tastes change...

@DuFrank thank you for the list. Very helpful. I had no idea about the bracelet stretching or the polishing. The bit about the box and papers was good to read about too. What I have read in other areas/forums is that papers can be hit and miss because they can be faked. But I hear what you're saying on the increased ability for resale. Also thanks for the website suggestions. I'll have to surf on over there and check them out.

Everyone else, my interest in the Pepsi GMT comes from a variety of places I suppose. One is that I like the look of the watch. I've only seen it in photos, but based on what I see, I like. Second off, I have read/heard that Rolex build quality is quite good and that as investments the watches hold their value well. From reading other sites, I'm told to expect that my Tag watches won't hold their value as well. While that doesn't really bother me as I am not planning on selling them, it still does feel like a bit of a kick to the teeth. Third and lastly, it's been 12~14 since my last major watch splurge and I'm feeling like splurging again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Shade and Welsh - you are both wrong for your noobs and adults comments. I'm actually surprised they haven't been deleted yet.

As far as a $6000 watch shooting lasers, that was a ridiculous comment too. He probably deserves a snarky comment in return for that.
    Sorry. To be clear, I meant it to be ridiculous and jocular. I didn't realize Luxury watches were such as serious topic.

I did mean the question in earnest though. I understand there the Rolex in question here, is a collectable, akin to a collectable car. Now, if I owned a Lamborghini Miura, I could explain to someone, and would be happy to, the features that caused me to so much prefer that car over a Camry, or even a newer faster Lamborghini.

There is no denying that Rolex's are a major aspiration good and a status symbol, but until today, I never realized that they were that expensive. I thought that 6 grand meant that this was an especially expensive Rolex, and wondered what was so special about it.

I do think that the statement that a Rolex makes is "I have money" as opposed to "I like watches" especially since it is the watch brand everyone knows is expensive, even if they know nothing about watches. Of course, having money is more appreciated than liking watches by some, but saying you have money, is vulgar.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    $6k is the low end as far as Rolexes go and that's for a used one. New ones are more than that. With a lot of these watches you will be paying more if it's gold or has diamonds in it, etc.

To oversimplify it, you are paying for the material, craftsmanship, and the movements involved. Most higher end watches are going to have a COSC certified movement which will cost more. Rolex and a lot of the newer Omegas have in house movements which they will charge even more for. You are also paying for the brand name and what it stands for. This is really something you should research if you want to learn more about it. Not trying to sound rude but there is google now. When I was younger, you'd have to look through encyclopedias or other forms of literature that weren't as readily available. I'm sure there are hundreds of articles and posts out there that you could find within a few seconds that would go in to great detail as why a high end watch costs so much.

Docdave - if you're unsure of a watch, buy it used. That way you won't have as much remorse if you tire of it. You are correct that a Tag quickly loses a lot of its resale value. A Rolex won't lose as much value and is generally easier to resell than a Tag. If you want something that holds on to resale value, look in to a Seiko Sarb065 or a Tudor BlackBay or an Omega 2254.50. There are others but that was just a few examples.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    This is a subject very near and dear to my heart, as watches are a main hobby of mine. You do not have to buy a Rolex, Omega, etc. to get a good watch. There are literally hundreds of them out there under $1k, $500 and so on, for every budget there seems to be a solid watch nowadays. That being said, you get what you pay for mostly. The higher ends are certainly jacking the prices up for their name, but their name means something, tradition, history, proven success so on. If you are like me your taste changes every few months, so really you buy what you like. Find out why you like that watch/what you need/how much you can spend, then go from there. A vintage pepsi GMT is an incredible piece that will no doubt holds its value, if not gain value. If that is what you want and you have the means, go for it, if you want to save some money there are plenty of great watches out there for a much more affordable price.

Whatever you do get, enjoy it my friend.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Not trying to sound rude but there is google now. When I was younger, you'd have to look through encyclopedias or other forms of literature that weren't as readily available.
    I don't see it as rude, but perhaps a view point counter productive to purpose of the discussion forum? I honestly thought that the response I would get would be an enthusiastic list of the reasons why the Rolex Pepsi is a cool watch.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I don't see it as rude, but perhaps a view point counter productive to purpose of the discussion forum? I honestly thought that the response I would get would be an enthusiastic list of the reasons why the Rolex Pepsi is a cool watch.
    People have already typed up those enthusiastic lists for you in spades. You're not asking for a discussion. You came on here with a statement that was bordering on trolling and now want someone to do a lot of typing for you even though I told you where to find the answer.

Could you list all the specs for the 2012 Honda Accord for me and for the 2015 Honda Accord and then highlight the differences. I'd like an enthusiastic list that I think would be the purpose of the discussion if this forum. Thanks.
    Last edited by Vicious49; March 22nd, 2015 at 01:53 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    I have multiple Rolex watches and Omega as well.

I have a coke bezel GMT-II 1991 modle year. I love it and wear it everyday. My sub sits and the datejusts are for dressier occasions. I am more a casual dresser.

6k for a newer model ain't shabby. You can find one cheaper.

Rolex hold or gain value and resale is very very good. My 1601 datejust has gained $600 easily in a handful of years.

People make their comments but I like the history of Swiss watches, it's a cheap in for a made in house movement.

It's really the only "jewerly" most men wear besides a wedding band.

Pride of ownership, conversation piece, that extra 1% that goes into.

Plus I can't take my money with me at least I can pass on a cool watch from my birth year.