Thread: Seen any good movies lately?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)

Seen any good movies lately?

In the same vein the thread "y'all watching anything good on tv" I thought I 'd see if anyone has seen good movies lately.

For me, I watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night. Not too bad if I do say so myself. The CGI was seamlessly blended in with real life action and as stories go, this one wasn't too bad. I mean yes it was a movie based on a Marvel comic book, but still. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something lighthearted by action packed.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    I watched Guardians of the Galaxy a few weeks ago and really liked it a lot. I thought it was a fun and refreshing take on a comic. Didnt take itself too seriously. I watched John Wick last weekend, and I really liked that as well. It certainly isnt a thinker type movie, but for some dumb fun and lots of action it was worth checking out.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Keep 'em coming -- need some movies to rent on my ipad for international flights I have coming up.

I saw Guardians and feel like it was a solid watch. Gone Girl was also good, but--without giving any spoilers--I think the story is just missing something at the end (I read the book first and felt the same way when I finished that).

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)
    My buddy has seen Whiplash twice. I'm waiting for it to come available at the library, although I could be waiting a while. I'm number 125 on the wait list. I've also heard that Citizenfour is good.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    I saw Focus in theaters this past weekend. It was a slick, enjoyable movie. Me and the fiancee joked that at times it reminded us of a con artist version of Hitch.

This is Where I Leave You - It kind of falls into that dramedy category, but it has an awesome cast and had some great moments.
    Deliver us from Evil - Was craving a horror movie last weekend and caught this on starz. Not exactly a "fine film" but a fun cop/excorcism romp. Also didn't realize that Joel McHale was in it, so it was a nice surprise having him as a mouthy, adrenaline junky sidekick.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Whiplash was well done and a little intense at times, in a good way. I realized after it ended my hands were clenched in a fist and were that way nearly the whole movie.

Probably will check out What We Do in the Shadows this weekend.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fencedwall View Post
    Whiplash was well done and a little intense at times, in a good way. I realized after it ended my hands were clenched in a fist and were that way nearly the whole movie.
    That's exactly how I was thought Birdman (also a good flick). I was on edge the whole time. I think it was a combination of the drumming/soundtrack and the story itself.
    Last edited by DocDave; March 12th, 2015 at 01:42 AM. Reason: fixed grammar

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    I have Gone Girl and Nightcrawler on the playlist. Gone Girl is almost 3 hours and the GF wants to watch that this weekend, so Ill be spending some "quality" time doing that on Sat. I watched Predestination awhile back also, and it was pretty smartly made. Has a lot of twists in it, so you really have to pay attention. Oh, and Snowpiercer was pretty good also. Ending kinda let me down but a unique plot for a flick.

edit* I just checked and the run time for Gone Girl is only 149 minutes. I was told it was almost 3. Still a pretty long flick though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    edit* I just checked and the run time for Gone Girl is only 149 minutes. I was told it was almost 3. Still a pretty long flick though.
    From what I recall, it's very well paced and doesn't feel as long as it is. FWIW

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Depends what you like really random things I watched over winter break.

I'm not one of those people that's a movie snob at all eg. I thought Hercules with Dwayne Johnson was super entertaining for what it was, great twist on an old myth.

Need for Speed - Not the greatest but my god did I ever want to an even faster car

Interstellar was good until near the end
    Predestination - I enjoyed it, interesting story line
    Automata - Didn't mind this either, sci-fi what is "alive"
    Big Hero 6 - Awesome animated flick