Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seen any good movies lately?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    The movie was awesome until about the last 15 minutes
    That's exactly how I felt! Interstellar is on my "shit list" because of the ending. What a waste of a movie/time/money. The Martian on the other hand was great. It's very scientific but you don't have to know the science to enjoy it. They dumb it down when necessary. It's one of the better movies of the year.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Star Wars: TFA: Good movie. Not spectacular. Worth every full price penny though. Do not waste money on 3D. It's second rate and subtracts from the movie.

The Hateful 8: Not an action movie! But thoroughly enjoyable. I enjoyed it as much as Star Wars: TFA but for completely different reasons. I'd watch Hateful 8 again before watching Star Wars again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Matt Damon was hilarious in The Martian. I didn't think it was that big of a deal that it was listed as a comedy at the golden globes.

I just recently watched The Revenant and The Big Short. Both great movies, but The Revenant might not be for everyone....

I may be bias because I'm hoping Dicaprio finally gets an Oscar though.... Tom Hardy is also fantastic in the movie, don't know if he's been nominated for best supporting actor... don't think he was for the golden globes?

The Big Short was an eye opener like The Margin was. The way they narrate the movie is different and interesting as well.

Almost time for the Oscars so a lot of movies to watch! Next up The Hateful 8!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tailoredbydang View Post
    Matt Damon was hilarious in The Martian. I didn't think it was that big of a deal that it was listed as a comedy at the golden globes.
    I'm listening to the audiobook currently. His character is pretty witty, so I'm sure Damon crushes it (can't wait to see it). I still find it a little weird for it to be classified as a comedy for the Globes, but I'm not upset about it.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1404 Post(s)
    Just watched Straight Outta Compton. Great flick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Hail, Caesar

Nothing special. Only really recommended for Coen brothers fanatics or fans of classic 50s cinema, as the Coen brothers pay tribute throughout to the type of films - Biblical epics, song Westerns, Gene Kelly dance numbers, romance - that studios were churning out at the time.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Finally saw Spectre this weekend, because my brother bought it.

It was not a great film by any stretch but I found it a little less offensively bad than Skyfall (where it seemed like the plot, to the extent there was a plot, was driven solely by the good guys making every stupid, easily-avoidable bad decision possible).
    Ben

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    We've been on an Oscar kick the last month or so.

Spotlight - Watched in theaters. Super engaging look at the journalists who brought the whole Catholic Church sexual abuse scandal. Ruffalo gives an Oscar worthy performance.

The Big Short - Watched in theaters. Enjoyable (and educational) look at the mortgage crisis.

Bridge of Spies - Rented. Solid Hanks/Spielberg film. Pretty much the quality you'd expect from the movie.

The Martian - Rented. Obligatory "the book was better." That being said, the movie actually did a really good job pulling out the important bits and not really deviating much from the plot. They took a couple Hollywood liberties with the ending, but was still very good.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed The Big Short. I work in a related field, so was happily surprised at how they handled the educational bit (explaining enough of what CMBS/CDS/etc are for the audience to understand, but not getting bogged down in detail), while still keeping it entertaining. I thought the cast did a solid job top to bottom, but in particular Steve Carell surprised me with his work (Bale was great, but I expect that from him; Gosling and Pitt played their somewhat stereotypical parts, although Pitt's usual character was modified a bit, and did so well).

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Finally saw Spectre this weekend, because my brother bought it.

It was not a great film by any stretch but I found it a little less offensively bad than Skyfall (where it seemed like the plot, to the extent there was a plot, was driven solely by the good guys making every stupid, easily-avoidable bad decision possible).
    I watched Spectre recently too, I don't know how I feel about it yet. I'm going to reserve judgment until I watch it a second time I think.