Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Crew 25% off - does it get any better?

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

J Crew 25% off - does it get any better?

Debating about pulling the trigger on some of the JC good based on Joe's post today. Question though, is the 25% of that good of a deal? I seem to recall seeing 30% of greater savings. Am I correct in thinking this, or am I imagining things?

Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Based on last year I would say they probably only run 30% off 1 or 2 times per season. For full price items, I don't think it gets much better than that. Of course they do 40% off sale items all the time. It just depends if you want some new arrivals or if you can wait until later in the season. I am probably going to pick up a couple things.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Agreeing with Moelman, 25% off full priced items seems like about as good as it gets, unless you want to hope the next 30% off or select sale includes your specific items. I understand timing prices is a bit of a game, but changing what is and isn't included in sales all the time just seems cruel. I've only seen the 40% off on sale / final sale.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    If there's something you really want, i wouldn't hold out for 5% unless it's a basic that tends to go on sale constantly (i.e. chinos). That sportcoat though... mm..

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    Thanks gents. I'm not sure why I had it in my mind that the 25% off sale was your average, run of the mill sale. Good to know I was wrong. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    You might get a holiday sale (Memorial Day, July 4th) for spring/summer stuff that goes higher. They did cut a lot of or their winter line for Christmas; I think they dropped to 40% off most items (except suiting) in the week before the 25th.

If you're thinking about the sport coat, 25% is worth it.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    I was actually considering the seersucker button down that Joe had highlighted. Looks like a good/comfy shirt.

I think what I had confused was the 40% off deal that was floating around the web a while back. That 40% was for sale items, but in mind I thought JC also offered 40% off regular priced stuff from time to time. Kind of like what BR does. Hence my question here. Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Does anyone have a photo of the caspian blue sport coat they could share? I don't particularly like it as it appears on the J.Crew website, but in Joe's article yesterday his two photos made it seem a little darker than the J.Crew website does. If it's getting towards navy, I might go for it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srlclark View Post
    Does anyone have a photo of the caspian blue sport coat they could share? I don't particularly like it as it appears on the J.Crew website, but in Joe's article yesterday his two photos made it seem a little darker than the J.Crew website does. If it's getting towards navy, I might go for it.
    I'm curious to see this as well. I have never worn a Ludlow jacket how do the typically fit? I am normally a 38r or 40r and I see this jacket comes in odd numbered sizes too. Can anyone compare this to Banana Republic sportcoats (I am usually a 40r in BR).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    I think the fit is pretty similar to the BR ones. I've never tried on a cotton J.Crew Ludlow jacket, but I'm a 40R in the worsted wool suit, and also in BR's Modern Slim suit jackets. (By the way, the light blue of the BR modern slim fit suit - the new one released this year - is in my view a much nicer shade of blue than the caspian blue Ludlow).