Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: What podcasts are you listening to?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    If I didn't subscribe to Sirius XM, I would listen to more podcasts. I listen to podcasts on runs so speeding them up helps a little.
    Funny enough when I called to cancel Sirus XM they asked why. I told them I am listening to more and more podcasts. They tried to win me over by telling me they had lots of talk radio shows, etc. But for me the convenience of listening to the podcasts whenever I wanted won out. I do miss the clarity of the radio/music though.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    Been listening to Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell. So far I've been enjoying this season, although the most recent one/topic didn't really do much for me.

And I just realized that ESPN has a 30 for 30 podcast. Now THAT is good news. I just started subscribing to it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Oh, I neglected to post about Flash Forward. A reporter and scifi/fantasy fan comes up with a speculative world (like what if we had a universal translator or what if sex robots exists) and then explores what that future might be like - first by a brief radio play and then the bulk of the episode is spent talking to experts in the field.

I think she picks really interesting topics and it's generally fascinating.

And @DocDave, the host and creator, Rose Eveleth, just helped to launch the 30 for 30 podcast series.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SvB_Esq View Post
    Pod Save America. Politics with former Obama staffers, but with lots of swearing. Basically my liberal support group.
    PSA isn't just for Liberals. I lean to the right and still enjoy the banter they have on the show. Can't beat the guests, either.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Waking up w Sam Harris
    Dan Carlin (Hardcore History and Common Sense)
    Joe Rogan Experience

And one that I have not seen mentioned: Rum Doings. Two guys from the UK talking IT, politics, and general rambling discussion, trying to replicate the gentle comforting talk radio they listened to in their youth. Best to start at the beginning.. there are lots of in-jokes that progress through the series.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    RE increasing the speed of podcasts... This weekend on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, they discussed listening to podcasts at increased speeds. One of the the comments was to the effect of, S-Town, at normal speed is a dramatic look into crime, mental illness, and small-town America. But when the speed of the podcast is increased, S-Town becomes a show about a chipmunk getting his nipples pierced.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    If you're into politics and media, from a libertarian perspective, I just found "the fifth column" and I like it a lot. It features Matt Welch from Reason magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    Just picked up some more podcasts and depending on your listening styles, these ones kick ass!

Steal The Stars - in the fit on old time radio drama. This one is only two episodes in and it deals with a captured alien and (of course) some kind of gov't conspiracy. Loving it so far.

The Magnus Archives - Horror stories told in a 'true' format. Very creepy. Again. Loving it.

Limetown - Haven't listened to this one yet, but the premise is set as a radio drama. According to Wikipedia, the podcast is a Serial and the X-files. It is told by an investigative reporter looking in to the disappearance of a town of 300 people.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    I have a couple of friends who just started a podcast called Redefine the Relationship. I haven't heard it yet, but I've heard a lot of good things from other friends.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I haven't listened to any other episodes, but this episode of Pseudopod features a story by William Gibson and is really really good. The narration wasn't my favorite, but the story shines through.
    http://pseudopod.org/2016/04/15/pseu...6-hinterlands/