Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: What podcasts are you listening to?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    762 Post(s)
    I am on episode 4 of S-Town and have to say it is pretty good so far. After a few episodes I had to Google what Jon looked like and wasn't suspecting that.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    843 Post(s)
    Yeah, I did the same too. I also checked out an aerial view of his maze, courtesy of google maps.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I read this piece about S-Town after finishing it (contains spoilers, so I'd wait until you're done before you check it out).

It's pretty thought provoking. While I enjoyed the series, it brings up some legitimate criticisms.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    843 Post(s)
    Thanks for the piece. I'll give it a read now that I'm done with the podcast.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Quoted
    762 Post(s)
    I liked the ending to S-Town. It brought together the whole story. As for that Vox piece, I have felt the same when the podcast is about a specific person. I felt the same during the Serial seasons, Missing Richard Simmons, and another one I remember listening to.

I doubt this podcast would have been made had it not been for what happened at the end of episode 2.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    843 Post(s)
    Started listening to Rabbits. It's a radio drama/mystery. I'm not sure about the podcast yet. The story line seems OK, but the pace of the show, not to mention the characters, really aren't doing it for me. Not sure if I'll stick it out or not yet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    When listening to S-Town all I can think of is Jesse Eisenberg and Zach Galifianakis.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    I just finished S-Town. I didn't think it was great and it really tailed off after like episode 4 IMO. What did you guys enjoy about it? Is there some literary hidden thing i'm missing?

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    843 Post(s)
    i listened to it because I wanted to find out how it all ended. But yes, I do tend to agree with you that the shows tailed off after eps. 4. Had it not been for Ira Glass aka This American Life pushing for this show, I doubt it would have been made.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fencedwall View Post
    When listening to S-Town all I can think of is Jesse Eisenberg and Zach Galifianakis.
    HA! I can see that. Especially the Jesse Eisenberg part. There were moments where I found the host's (narrator's?) voice to whiny and a bit hard to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post
    I just finished S-Town. I didn't think it was great and it really tailed off after like episode 4 IMO. What did you guys enjoy about it? Is there some literary hidden thing i'm missing?
    I don't think there's really any hidden literary meaning. I think it's just a story that appeals to many people--those feelings of frustration, desperation, and inability to impact your environment, I imagine, resonate with a lot of folks. On top of that, parts of the podcast are just down right funny.