Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What podcasts are you listening to?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burly Stone View Post
    I'm big on:

"How Did This Get Made" (Man, that Deep Blue Sea one was hysterical)
    Aisha Tyler's "Girl on Guy"
    Slate's "Culture Gabfest"
    "America's Test Kitchen"
    "Stuff You Should Know"
    Nerdist's Podcast
    NPR's "Wait Wait... Don't Tell me"
    and a few others...

Stuff You Should Know is the one podcast I listen to on the regular.
    They cover large array of topics and the ones that you never thought you wanted to learn about are some of the most interesting.

Highly recommend this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burly Stone View Post
    I'm big on:

"How Did This Get Made" (Man, that Deep Blue Sea one was hysterical)
    I just listened to that. Good laughs. Couldn't resist watching the movie afterwards.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1516 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeGarcia View Post
    Did you mean Snap Judgement? It's hit and miss, and I can't stand the host, but one particular episode was one of the best hours of radio I've ever heard. He interviewed the author of My Friend the Mercenary, James Brabazon. A decent synopsis would be way too long to post, but it's an almost incredible story about his time as a journalist during the Second Liberian Civil War and his friend's subsequent involvement in the failed coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea.

If you like story telling along the vein of The Moth (I like it, but I'd never go out of my way to listen to it...), check out RISK! Their capitalization and exclamation point, not mine. The host is absolutely insufferable, and the stories are even more hit and miss than Snap Judgement, but they have some truly outstanding content. A lot of it is NSFW, and some of it is pretty serious stuff, but if you're not the sensitive sort then there are some amazing stories throughout.

I've only just started to delve into it, but War on the Rocks has been excellent so far. If you're interested in foreign policy, war, and liquor, that's the podcast for you.
    D'oh! Totally meant Snap Judgement. I'm on the fence with it. I agree with your assessment of the host. I am not his biggest fan, and the stories I listened to this week were not exactly what I was looking for. I'm a newcomer to the podcast though, so I thought I would give it a second chance. Maybe the podcast this week will be better.

I do listen to The Moth podcast so I will check out RISK! I tend to pick my podcasts based on what the description of that particular week's topic is. So if RISK! is as you say hit and miss, I may skip a podcast if it looks dicey. But the topics, as you describe them, seem to be quite interesting. Thx.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I do listen to The Moth podcast so I will check out RISK! I tend to pick my podcasts based on what the description of that particular week's topic is. So if RISK! is as you say hit and miss, I may skip a podcast if it looks dicey. But the topics, as you describe them, seem to be quite interesting. Thx.
    Fair warning, there's some explicit sexual content from time to time. I mean explicit. And the host's commentary and sponsorship bits tend to be cringe-worthy. The host is big in the BDSM and gay community, and is an avid drug user, so his own stories tend to be in that vein. Funny and often interesting, but not to everybody's taste. But a lot of the guests are excellent. The whole premise of the show is that every story someone tells should be a risk of some sort. A painful admission, an embarrassing story, a difficult topic, or just a first attempt at public story telling. It makes for some fascinating listening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnvilsAreFunny View Post
    I just listened to that. Good laughs. Couldn't resist watching the movie afterwards.
    Hah! Me too! AN man, they called it on that one. It was worse (and unintentionally funnier) than I remembered.

I'm all sorts of bummed that "Lake Placid" isn't streaming on Netflix.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    I'm excited to try out some of the podcasts you guys have suggested. The one group I'd add is stuff from Monocle 24. its a British magazine/online radio station with a real sophisticated international feel and their Urbanist, Menu, Culture shows are pretty interesting, as is the Curator which does an hour of the best of the stuff from the rest of the week. Its partly interesting because its a very un-American approach to news and culture (not anti-American, just a different way of approaching things). Sometimes its reporters aren't super polished, like the questions they ask are too long and end up putting words in their subjects mouths rather and its very trendy and chic, sometimes at the expense of being critical. But they're nonetheless great for getting a feel for what's happening in the world's big cities and the Entrepreneur also has some interesting features.

I also like Dinner Party Download.

I also listen to stuff on the TWIT network, mainly This Week in Law. For all the lawyers on the forum (apparently there are one or two...) is there anything law related you listen to? Or is it once you're away from westlaw or those closing documents you want nothing to do with law?

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1516 Post(s)
    For the longest time I kept looking for a podcast that was men fashion/style focused. Kind of like what we read here on Dappered. Never came across anything like that so I pretty much gave up the search.

Just came across Misener on Tech from CBC radio. Only listened to one podcast so far, but for a tech podcast it wasn't bad.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    The podcast "Startup" just finished season 1 and it was highly entertaining while at the same time providing insight into the process of starting a new company.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)

What podcasts are you listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    ...is there anything law related you listen to? Or is it once you're away from westlaw or those closing documents you want nothing to do with law?
    A few years back I listened to a few episodes of a podcast that was put out by the ABA Section on Litigation (I think), but as I recall it was pretty painfully boring, so that didn't last. Now, the only thing I listen to like that is "Amicus," a Slate/Panoply podcast about the Supreme Court. It's less technical and more like listening to a topical news/interview show with a very specific focus. I like it, but I have to admit that I like the host, Dahlia Lithwick's writing more than her podcasting.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aps2012 View Post
    I also listen to stuff on the TWIT network, mainly This Week in Law. For all the lawyers on the forum (apparently there are one or two...) is there anything law related you listen to? Or is it once you're away from westlaw or those closing documents you want nothing to do with law?
    I listen to Lawfare occasionally, which deals with the national security aspects of law. It's not an area I practice in, but I find it pretty interesting. Podcasts dealing with what I do every day are called CLE.