Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 315

Thread: What podcasts are you listening to?

  1. #11
    Varsity Member Deke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    669
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    With the exception of running through Serial, I primarily listen to comedy ones. My favorites:

    Listen to every episode:
    Harmontown - Dan Harmon (creator of community) does a weekly live show with friends/guests
    Nerd Poker - Brian Posehn and friends playing Dungeons and Dragons (not a huge fan of playing D&D myself, but it's very enjoyable when you listen to comedians play)

    Listen when the topic/guest interests me:
    You Made it Weird - Pretty much the same format as WTF, but hosted by Pete Holmes.
    How Did This Get Made - comedians reviewing bad movies
    WTF
    The Indoor Kids
    This Feels Terrible
    Last edited by Deke; March 8th, 2015 at 10:57 PM.

  2. #12
    Dappered Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    Posts
    3,032
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    With the exception of running through Serial, I primarily listen to comedy ones. My favorites:

    Listen to every episode:
    Harmontown - Dan Harmon (creator of community) does a weekly live show with friends/guests
    Nerd Poker - Brian Posehn and friends playing Dungeons and Dragons (not a huge fan of playing D&D myself, but it's very enjoyable when you listen to comedians play)

    Listen when the topic/guest interests me:
    You Made it Weird - Pretty much the same format as WTF, but hosted by Pete Holmes.
    How Did This Get Made - comedians reviewing bad movies
    WTF
    The Indoor Kids
    This Feels Terrible
    Can you describe some of the other ones on this list? I listen for an escape so these are really intriguing.

  3. #13
    Varsity Member Deke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    669
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    Can you describe some of the other ones on this list? I listen for an escape so these are really intriguing.
    Gladly!

    The Indoor Kids is a relatively new one for me. It's Kumail Nanjiani (comedian, actor) and his wife, Emily Gordon talking about video games (past and present) with guests.

    This Feels Terrible is another sort of interview show hosted by Erin McGathy (Comedian, wife of Dan Harmon) with a focus on love/relationships. Most of them are funny, but it does get heavy from time to time.

    There's a lot of guest overlap in some of my favorites which is kind of how I discovered each. Everyone seems to do everyone else's podcasts, so a lot of times, I'll find out a particular guest I like on one show actually has their own podcast.

  4. #14
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,711
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    Tim Ferriss? Never heard of him or his podcast. But from the way you describe it, I will definitely give it a listen. Thanks for the tip!

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    aside from serial, which is incredible, most of the ones I like are comedy podcasts.

    wtf: seems like marc maron has interviewed every single person in comedy. if you like hearing comedians talk about comedy and their roots, this is great.

    how did this get made: a couple of the guys from The League and wife talk about bad movies. I love watching terrible movies, so this one is right up my alley. really works better if you've seen the movie they're reviewing before you listen to each episode.

    the thrilling adventure hour: just started this one, it's kind of hit or miss. it's like an old timey radio program. the episodes with paul f tompkins and paget brewster are the best so far.

    the paul f tompkast: this one is my favorites. PFT stream of consciousness riffing, recurring sketches and maybe an interview in each episode.

  6. #16
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,711
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    Every now and again I'll tune in to the Nerdist podcast. For me some of the episodes can be hit and miss. I guess it all depends on who you want to hear speak. So far I end blowing past/deleting more than I listen to, but I'm always interested to see who they bring on the show.

  7. #17
    Super Moderator bjmcgeever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    1,707
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Invisiblia is fascinating. If you like Radiolab, you'll like Invisibilia

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    Invisiblia is fascinating. If you like Radiolab, you'll like Invisibilia
    I'll agree it had some great topics, but the presentation style didn't entirely work for me. Too much wasted time by the two presenters trying to be cute. Maybe the show is trying to go after a different (i.e. young female) demographic.

  9. #19
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Adam Carolla's Car Cast, Ace on the House and a little bit of his main show.

  10. #20
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AnvilsAreFunny View Post
    I'll agree it had some great topics, but the presentation style didn't entirely work for me. Too much wasted time by the two presenters trying to be cute. Maybe the show is trying to go after a different (i.e. young female) demographic.
    I personally did not find the presentation of stories all that different from Radiolab. It definitely did not feel like it was going after a demo other than...me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •