Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What podcasts are you listening to?

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    Well Serial just came to a close for the season. Anyone want to offer any thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    @DocDave, OK I'll bite.

I think the season just got stronger over time and I ended up liking it quite a bit. I know you aren't asking for a comparison of the two seasons, but I have trouble putting my thoughts on this season together without comparing it to the inaugural. Consider that your disclaimer.

I was pretty sure that Season 2 would not live up (in terms of hype at least) to the trendpiece-writes-itself phenomenon that was Season 1. I was skeptical that they could follow it up with anything nearly as compelling. And they didn't. But it still was a success in my book.

The first season had an inherently fascinating question of guilt or innocence where facts could not necessarily be taken at face value and it put the listener in the position of having to make sense of it all. Season 2 had more of a crime and punishment feel to it. The fundamental facts were not in dispute. What the listener is being asked to do is to evaluate the motivations for various actions and consider hypotheticals about what might have been had things been handled just a bit differently. Those who expected a ripped-from-the-headlines type drama would be disappointed, but I think it was successful in fleshing out what might have been going through Bergdahl's head, which is really something given his idiosyncratic nature and the setting (war) that few listeners are likely to have experienced.

The weakest part to me was the intercutting of Bergdahl's taped interviews, since they just had a canned feel that grew over time. It certainly hurt the story they were trying to tell that they were already-recorded audio of another interviewer's questions. More compelling was the direct interviews with people who knew him from home and from the army as well as the reporting on the back-channel politics and military planning. The tone of the narrative was kind of Greek tragic in how the very public trial played out.

The season 1 story was more encapsulated and defined in scope. Season 2 was more ambitious with broader themes as it touched on all manner of topics from mental illness, personal conduct during wartime, the vast machine that is the military, blame/culpability, delicate diplomacy, politics and public relations, and a nation trying to figure out how it feels about recent wars we've waged.

Making a Murder got me to think more broadly about the justice system in ways that the more focused Serial Season 1 never did. So too did Serial Season 2 get me to consider some larger themes mentioned above, even if the story itself wasn't quite as tight.

I'll be very interested to see what they choose next.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what to think of this season. At first I wasn't all that interested. I'm a not a big military guy and as someone who doesn't live in the US I could care less what the US Military does with their people. But then as the season progressed I started to get sucked in. I started to get interested in whether or not the military was screwing him (which they were) or if he was screwing them (which he was). So it made for compelling listening and I stuck it out.

Now that the season has finished, I am glad I listened to the whole show. I like how Sarah brought the issue of the war to a larger issue rather than just focusing on Bergdahl. The issues she raised did cause me to pause and think about things, which is always a good thing. I'll be sure to check in to Season III since I do enjoy this type of journalism.

As you said @redbeardedmike, I am interested to see what they chose next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I have only three in the rotation right now because I am going through their back catalogs.

FreeThoughts from Libertarianism.org
    Art of Manliness Podcast
    The First 40 Miles (Hiking and Backpacking)

Varsity Member nicholascrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Bill Simmons just had Louis CK on plus Key & Peele. His interview with Al Michaels was golden too.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    I'm so-so on the Art of Manliness podcast. Sometimes I think the episodes will be great and they turn out to be 'meh'. Plus often times I feel like Bren MaKay (the host) is just blowing the interviewees off. After they give a big long explanation of things he just goes "oh yeah, that's interesting" and then moves on to the next question. There is no emotion in his voice. Just kinda yah I know, let's get on with it.

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    Anyone have any suggestions on what podcast(s) to listen to for new music? NPR's All Songs Considered is very good, but I'm looking for others in the vein. Suggestions anyone?

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    Been listening to Alice Isn't Dead from the same group that puts out Welcome to Nightvale. I'm enjoying the storytelling, it's really well done.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Been listening to Alice Isn't Dead from the same group that puts out Welcome to Nightvale. I'm enjoying the storytelling, it's really well done.
    Differing opinion here. It's got Nightvale's weird, but little to none of its humor. I recognize that it is a different type of story and is going for a different tone, but this one just isn't as compelling to me. They are spinning off another podcast - Within The Wires. This is written by Jeffrey Cranor and I'll be interested to see if I like it any better (and which of the two main writers I might prefer as Joseph Fink is responsible for Alice Isn't Dead).

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1402 Post(s)
    I'll agree with you @redbeardedmike that AID is a different kind of podcast. It took me a while to get in to it. And the back and forth story telling was hard to get my heard around. But once I settled in with it, I quite enjoy the podcast.

As for Within The Wires, I just listened to the first episode and I am not a fan. Perhaps it's because I was doing other stuff at the time, but the storytelling really didn't hold me. I'll give the next episode a try but I am not sure this one will make the cut for me.