6 31.58%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How often do you purchase new suits

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I don't wear suits to work but started to dress well a little over a year ago. I got a wool black suit from CG and' a cotton dark charcoal suit from ZARA(I don't know if it counts) in 2014. In 2015 plan to get navy blue and light grey wool suits from CG as I have 2 wedding to attend and the occasional dinner date. I'm into blazers/sport coats I bought 4 in 2014.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1378 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Embargo1063 View Post
    I think you're underrating the sub-$1,000 prize zone in terms of selection.
    Not at all. In fact my last two suits have been purchased from SuitSupply and came in well under the $1k mark. I've been very pleased with my SS purchases. As you mentioned the quality and fit is great for the price. Having said that though the $1k suits were definitely nice; and purchased before I started looking for reviews on suits such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I'll likely be adding 2 more all season suits (to have 5-6) and 1 other summer suit (so I have 2-3), and I think that'll be my sweet spot. In the summer I don't always wear a full suit, so get away with some slacks with or without a sportcoat sometimes. I'd like to get some custom sportcoats to fill that aspect out, but that can wait til later.
    I'll likely be picking up another all season suit as well. I'm just trying to figure out what colour and style to go for, which is why the recently posted review was quite helpful. I also need to determine if I want to go back to SS or give a JC Ludlow a try. If I go the JC route though I need to wait for a sale. Plus the costing difference between the US and Canada gives me pause on whether it's better to purchase the suit locally, or have it shipped in from the US.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I currently have almost no occasions to wear a suit, so I don't own any that I would wear (a synthetic material black suit from college when I didn't know anything). I work from home and even when I visit my office out of town, they sometimes comment if I am just wearing a sportcoat as being dressed up. But I would like to get one this year that I could find reasons to wear, like going out to dinner. I like dressing up, I just don't find reasons to often.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    New suits? I once bought two J Crew Factory suits in the same year, but besides that maybe two new suits in the past 15-20 years.

Thrift? Whenever I see higher end brands that fit. Other times I will pick one up for my brothers because I know their jacket sizes (bigger than me)

I don't wear suits to work but I wear them whenever I have a chance. I think I have 7 or 8 but only about 6 of those in rotation. Every year I give away or donate the ones I no longer wear and rotate in newer, nicer ones.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1378 Post(s)
    I've never done the thirfting for a suit myself. I figure a suit is a personal style/sizing kind of deal so I've never really considered it. Maybe I need to look in to thirfting for a suit though.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I've never done the thirfting for a suit myself. I figure a suit is a personal style/sizing kind of deal so I've never really considered it. Maybe I need to look in to thirfting for a suit though.
    The thing about thrifting is that it's sort of the luck of the draw wether you can find something with a decent fit, but when you DO find it you can afford to do a fair amount of tailoring on a nice suit bought for $10-$50 and still come out WAY ahead. It can take a while and be frustrating if you're not enjoying the search, but I look at it as a treasure hunt, and I enjoy treasure hunting.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    I bought two last year, don't plan on buying more for at least a year or two.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    I purchased my first two late in 2014, a mid gray and a charcoal windowpane. Tried to buy a navy but couldn't get what I wanted. May add a suit supply Lazio in blue in 2015, and possibly something in brown within two years. Then I expect I'll be done for awhile, and certainly no more than once a year.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1378 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattface View Post
    The thing about thrifting is that it's sort of the luck of the draw wether you can find something with a decent fit, but when you DO find it you can afford to do a fair amount of tailoring on a nice suit bought for $10-$50 and still come out WAY ahead. It can take a while and be frustrating if you're not enjoying the search, but I look at it as a treasure hunt, and I enjoy treasure hunting.
    Yeah, that's what I've heard. Maybe I just haven't hit up the local thrift stores at the right times because whenever I have done in none of them seem to have what I'm looking for. Or maybe I'm just to impatient to sort through everything that's on the rack(s). That's possible too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    I buy 3-4 per year. I try to keep it under $5,000 total. Usually wait for end of season sales if OTR.