View Poll Results: How often do you purchase new suits

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • once a year

    10 52.63%
  • more than once a year

    3 15.79%
  • whenever there is a sale and a suit in my size

    6 31.58%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: How often do you purchase new suits

  1. #21
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the replies. Are those counts meaning 7 all-seasons suits? Or are some cotton/summer or tweed/winter suits? I think my real suit rotation is honestly 4 all season, but have 2 summer suits (and a tux, but I don't count that for this exercise).
    I OWN 9 but only have 7 in my regular rotation. 2 are from my pre-Dappered days and, in retrospect, were not my finest decisions. I work them in on occasion to give my starting lineup some rest - snow days, rain, half days at work for whatever reason, etc.

    In any event, the 7 I'm referring to are all single breasted, 2 button, 100% wool suits in shades of grey or blue. As much as I'd love to throw in a tropical weight pinstrip seersucker suit once a week in July and August, I don't think my bosses or the NYC-area judges I appear before would appreciate it as much as I would. That coupled with the fact that I tend to default to a conservative style means I don't really have "seasonal" suits.

    During those late summer "is fall here yet?" Thursdays and Fridays when the office is quiet, I'll get away with a cotton sport coat and trousers and, in winter's equivalent, I'll wear a tweet or flannel sport coat over a wool sweater.

  2. #22
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    For those wearing suits 4-5 days a week even, how many suits do you own and/or what's your ideal number in rotation? I keep things simple with patterns, etc. (so it isn't blatantly obvious I'm wearing the same suits once a week) and find that (with having 2 pairs of slacks per suit, to extend life) it takes at least 3 years, probably more, before I need to replace a suit.
    I would say a good number is 8. 4 all season suits, 4 seasonal suit (2 for hotter weather, 2 for colder weather). I wear a suit everyday to work, and I find having a rotation of 6 is a good number to have. I far too many suits, but for the last 3-4 years, I get nothing but gift cards to Suitsupply/Black Lapel/etc; thus, I own more suits than I need.

  3. #23
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,667
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    For those wearing suits 4-5 days a week even, how many suits do you own and/or what's your ideal number in rotation? I keep things simple with patterns, etc. (so it isn't blatantly obvious I'm wearing the same suits once a week) and find that (with having 2 pairs of slacks per suit, to extend life) it takes at least 3 years, probably more, before I need to replace a suit.
    Good question. Let's see. I have about seven winter suits that get rotated/worn four days a week. And I have five summer summers that again get rotated four days a week. Most my suits are simple patterns too, although I do own and wear two three piece suits. I really stand out in my office because hardly anyone wears suits around here. But for me the suit wearing is kind of like a school uniform. It's a no brainer in the morning to get dressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Embargo1063 View Post
    I'm clocking in at about once to twice a year now.

    I "need" suits more than I "want" them as they are required Monday - Thursday at my office. With that said, this site has helped me become a lot more disciplined about spending.
    I'm trying to get more disciplined about my suit buying too which is why I asked the question and tried with the poll. Many of my suits fall in the $500 - $1000 range, although now that I'm in an office environment where wearing a suit is kind of out of the ordinary, I'm scaling back the $1000 suit purchases and focusing in more on the $500 range from SuitSupply. I find it difficult though, especially when I see good deals and styles here on the site.

  4. #24
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I wear a suit to work 4 days a week and own 3 (navy, charcoal, black). The black one was from before I knew about style so I don't really wear it anymore and just rotate between the other two. I've had my suits for a couple years now and they're still in great condition since all I do in them is sit around the office, and I don't plan on buying another until I'm forced to by being married or being a groomsman, or if one of my suits gets destroyed.

    The suits that I wear were both around $100 on sales from Macy's Bar III and JCP's Stafford (both 100% wool) and I'd wager that 90% of the people who see me wearing them wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and a nicer suit since most of the people in my office don't even wear suits except for the boss.

    If I had to start over knowing how much I wear these I'd probably go with something nicer like SuitSupply but I'm not going to go out and spend that much money just on upgrading when what I have is fine.

  5. #25
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Good question. Let's see. I have about seven winter suits that get rotated/worn four days a week. And I have five summer summers that again get rotated four days a week. Most my suits are simple patterns too, although I do own and wear two three piece suits. I really stand out in my office because hardly anyone wears suits around here. But for me the suit wearing is kind of like a school uniform. It's a no brainer in the morning to get dressed.
    Damn, that's quite the rotation, particularly for not being required to wear them. I agree about the uniform aspect, it's nice to not have to think too much.

    I'll likely be adding 2 more all season suits (to have 5-6) and 1 other summer suit (so I have 2-3), and I think that'll be my sweet spot. In the summer I don't always wear a full suit, so get away with some slacks with or without a sportcoat sometimes. I'd like to get some custom sportcoats to fill that aspect out, but that can wait til later.

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
    If I had to start over knowing how much I wear these I'd probably go with something nicer like SuitSupply but I'm not going to go out and spend that much money just on upgrading when what I have is fine.
    Good approach -- upgrade when the others get to the end of their wearable life!

  6. #26
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=

    I'm trying to get more disciplined about my suit buying too which is why I asked the question and tried with the poll. Many of my suits fall in the $500 - $1000 range, although now that I'm in an office environment where wearing a suit is kind of out of the ordinary, I'm scaling back the $1000 suit purchases and focusing in more on the $500 range from SuitSupply. I find it difficult though, especially when I see good deals and styles here on the site.[/QUOTE]

    FWIW, I'd never buy a $1,000 suit (and yes, I could afford one a year or so at such price). I top out at Suit Supply's $499 line and I invariably get more compliments, second looks, and questions about my suits than any of the partners or senior associates I work with who, by the way, I know happen to wear suits that clock in at twice that price.

    Joe and co. do a great job here on Dappered of hammering this point home so I won't belabor the issue but 9/10s of the battle is fit and confidence. If your suit is well-tailored, matched with a crisp shirt and tie combo, and you either feel comfortable or feign comfort well, you will look immeasurably better than a fella wearing a frumpy, oversized $1,400 suit or a high dollar designer label that looks about two sizes two small.

    I think you're underrating the sub-$1,000 prize zone in terms of selection. You could pick up just about any suit Suit Supply offers, essentially any J Crew Ludlow suit at full ticket with no discounts, a Brooks Brothers suit (when on a noteworthy sale, happens two or three times a year), a fair variety of Hickey Freeman or HSM-types (especially from discount sights and places like the Rack and Last Call), and a number of options at Nordstrom during one of their half yearly or big seasonal sales. With the left over cash you can really step up your tailoring game and even kick over a couple hundred bucks toward your next suit purchase.

  7. #27
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    I have 9 all-season suits, a handful of blazers and mixed slacks. I went on a bender and bought a shit load of suits and had them all tailored. I hardly ever wear the suits. Mostly stick to sport coats and slacks, mostly just a button down and slacks. I wish I had more occasion to wear them.

  8. #28
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    482
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    If we substitute suit for sportcoat (a suit is too much for my workplace) I would say 1-2 per year. I wear a sport coat 3-4 days per week to work and my rotation of 8 is plenty - I am just in the process of replacing the thrifted ones (4 of them) gradually with higher end ones.

    I tend to buy on sale but as I am a fan of Samuelsohn (they fit me off the rack) they tend to hit over $1000 frequently were I to buy them full price. Were I more affluent I would likely have a couple in the $1000 plus range.

    I have 3 suits (2 custom) but they turned out to be a waste as they never see the light of day due to my co-workers freaking if I wear one.

  9. #29
    Super Moderator hornsup84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,672
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Embargo1063 View Post
    I think you're underrating the sub-$1,000 prize zone in terms of selection. You could pick up just about any suit Suit Supply offers, essentially any J Crew Ludlow suit at full ticket with no discounts, a Brooks Brothers suit (when on a noteworthy sale, happens two or three times a year), a fair variety of Hickey Freeman or HSM-types (especially from discount sights and places like the Rack and Last Call), and a number of options at Nordstrom during one of their half yearly or big seasonal sales. With the left over cash you can really step up your tailoring game and even kick over a couple hundred bucks toward your next suit purchase.
    For $1k, you can get a custom suit that was made for you (maybe not bespoke, but over a MTM) in some decent fabrics. Over $1k seems like a waste for something that could potentially be useless in 5 years (if you wear through the crotch, mess up the cuff, etc.). With that in mind, my weight/shape fluctuating and trends slowly moving over time, I just can't justify over $1k.

  10. #30
    Dappered Veteran shad0w4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    1,483
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    For $1k, you can get a custom suit that was made for you (maybe not bespoke, but over a MTM) in some decent fabrics. Over $1k seems like a waste for something that could potentially be useless in 5 years (if you wear through the crotch, mess up the cuff, etc.). With that in mind, my weight/shape fluctuating and trends slowly moving over time, I just can't justify over $1k.
    My tailor fully bespoke starts at 1,200 so 1k for bespoke is not out of the realm of possibility, and he's very good. Super busy, bolts of fabric all over, and suits and dresses galore in the workshop area, you know it's good when there's pretty much no room to move they had to fill up empty space for peoples clothes, reminds me of some hidden shop down an alley inside it...I love it.


    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    220 - 195 = 25lbs of GAINZ! That is quite the jump. I drop weight before holidays, pack it on during holidays, then drop it slightly to a mid-range. All my clothes fit the whole time but I would be sad to not fit in what I currently have.
    Yeah it's brrrutal, Thankfully I have 33 waist pants with my 32's so I can get by....whole lot of polos being worn over winter though, most of my dress shirts are cufflinks and well I'm currently lacking the confidence to wear them casually. I cry looking at my suits, but then I'm also excited I have an excuse to buy more

    Need another poll option of "depending on weight goals"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •