6 31.58%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you purchase new suits

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Once a year for me

Outside of a formal work event or a wedding, I just go with a blazer/dress pants combo. Wish I had more occasions to wear suits, however.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    For those wearing suits 4-5 days a week even, how many suits do you own and/or what's your ideal number in rotation? I keep things simple with patterns, etc. (so it isn't blatantly obvious I'm wearing the same suits once a week) and find that (with having 2 pairs of slacks per suit, to extend life) it takes at least 3 years, probably more, before I need to replace a suit.
    I wear a suit 4 days a week and I currently have 7 suits.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    All depends! eg. this summer I will have to purchase a bunch of replacements most likely since I only have 5 suits( also Tux and Black suit but you can't wear those to work), but 3 of which are all tailored for when I'm an anorexic 185lbs, 2 of them for 195lbs but I'm aiming for 220lbs so that's a new purchase territory. Could be once a year, or a few times a year, I blame the media.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroaker View Post
    Same. Seven

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroaker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    Same. Seven
    Interesting, thanks for the replies. Are those counts meaning 7 all-seasons suits? Or are some cotton/summer or tweed/winter suits? I think my real suit rotation is honestly 4 all season, but have 2 summer suits (and a tux, but I don't count that for this exercise).

EDIT: Note that I intend to buy another all season suit or 2 (or 3) this year, so I'm not far off from you guys either way.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    All depends! eg. this summer I will have to purchase a bunch of replacements most likely since I only have 5 suits( also Tux and Black suit but you can't wear those to work), but 3 of which are all tailored for when I'm an anorexic 185lbs, 2 of them for 195lbs but I'm aiming for 220lbs so that's a new purchase territory. Could be once a year, or a few times a year, I blame the media.
    220 - 195 = 25lbs of GAINZ! That is quite the jump. I drop weight before holidays, pack it on during holidays, then drop it slightly to a mid-range. All my clothes fit the whole time but I would be sad to not fit in what I currently have.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Usually only buy a suit every few years. That being said I had to buy a new charcoal grey suit (SuitSupply Napoli) this year for a conference and and a job interview. I lost a lot of weight last year and my old cheap Jos A Banks was not worth tailoring and the alterations needed would be too big of a size down.
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Interesting, thanks for the replies. Are those counts meaning 7 all-seasons suits? Or are some cotton/summer or tweed/winter suits? I think my real suit rotation is honestly 4 all season, but have 2 summer suits (and a tux, but I don't count that for this exercise).

EDIT: Note that I intend to buy another all season suit or 2 (or 3) this year, so I'm not far off from you guys either way.
    I don't have any summer suits or tweed like winter ones. Just wools that I wear all year

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

I work in finance, so all mine are all-season. I have some tweed, cotton and linen sport coats. I'm not counting my tux, either. I wear that only once or twice a year.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    You really gotta add a "less than once a year" option so far 3 people have voted once a year, and at least three people have stated that they abstained from voting because they purchase a suit less than once a year. I think it's clear that given the option, less than once a year would be in the majority.