Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with hair thinning?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boys Husky View Post
    I take minox now and I think it has curbed some of the loss. I used to take finasteride, but it made my penis go to sleep for a few months so I stopped.
    Did you try taking testosterone supplements as well?

I use Rogaine and take Propecia. I have no issues with either, though I know there are a lot of side effects with both. I didn't start taking them until I was 29, and I wish I would have started when I was 20 when I first started balding. I have regrowth in the back, but my hairline is not where it was when I was young, and its not regrowing there... though it also has stopped going any farther back due to the foam and pills.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I've been shaving my head since I was 17, years before I started to lose my hair. As a teenager I did it because of the punk rock, anti-establishment yada yada yadas of youth, but when I decided at 22 or so to start growing it back, I had never been so grateful for my wayward youth. I noticed then that the frontlines had retreated some. Instead of stressing, I just continued shaving. It's been about 15 years now and I went from buzzing with a guard, to buzzing with no guard, to using shaving cream and razor twice a week. Sometimes I'll go a week, week and a half between shaves if I want to change it up some, but I'll be in this for the long haul. Luckily, I have a round, even head and a build/style that is suited by the look. I endorse it fully.

I'd also be really, really leery of using a lot of regrowth products that mess with hormones. I might be overly cautious, but I'd rather be bald by choice than bald because of the chemo therapy I'm on as a result of the cancer I got rubbing too many toxins into my body.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    182 Post(s)
    I'm in this group too. I've been buzzing with a 2 guard since I was 20.

Definitely treat yourself to a barber every once in a while. You can do it yourself, but a barber will do a better job than you in almost every situation. Hardest part to get right is the neck and if you have a hairy neck/back, then it will look like crap.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverGuest View Post
    Luckily, I have a round, even head and a build/style that is suited by the look.
    I guess I won't know how well it suits my head until I do it, but I am concerned that it won't suit my body. I'm an average weight for my height, but without muscle tone. I guess I might fall into the 'skinny fat' category. My tentative plan is to buzz it when I go away with the family in March. I know I can't transform my body in that much time, but maybe I can take some steps towards getting in decent shape. If nothing else, I'll probably be more confident and feel better about doing it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Buzz cut or go George Costanza and just let it happen.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1017 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boys Husky View Post
    Thanks. So with no guard, do you still have some stubble on your head? I think I prefer that to the completely razor-shaved look. Prior to doing it, were you worried that you wouldn't look right with a shaved head? How often do you shave it?
    I still have some slight stubble but nothing much. After 3 weeks it starts to look bad and I cut it so every 2 would be optimal. I have my wife do it but if you have a hand mirror and a mirror to reflect the back of your head you should be good.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Seriously Read this:

BUY NIZORAL SHAMPOO (or another Keotoconazole one), it's in the anti dandruff section, a secondary effect if it is that it blocks DHT/androgens to the scalp.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-los...ments/nizoral/

Use it 3 times a week. I use it because I have crazy dandruff in this super dry climate I live in, but it has this lovely added benefit I learned.

It's not like hair loss pills, I think Finastride is the name.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    I shave my scalp as I shave my face. Not every day as it's winter now, but every other day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    What about hair plugs? Isn't that an option? I'm not familiar with them, I'm just throwing it out there. Or are they cost-prohibitive?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Late to the party here, but here's where I'm at on this situation. Currently 25, slowly balding since 17. Still have decent hair except up front - which is starting to get pretty obvious and far back. Going to go for the Jason Statham "fuzz" hair cut over completely shaved when it comes time (probably sometime this year). I feel like if I shave my head completely I need some sort of facial hair, which I haven't yet experimented with. Agree / disagree?