Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The True Cost

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)

The True Cost

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen that new documentary on clothing manufacturing called "The True Cost" on Netflix.

Just wondering what people thought about it. Also, it would be interesting to find out if such social issues inform the buying habits and preferences of those active in the Dappered community. I'll be honest, it doesn't deter me from buying from J. Crew, Uniqlo, etc., though I personally stay away from H&M, Zara, etc...mostly just because I'm not impressed by their quality, even if they are dirt cheap. Like I said, just curious to see what the opinions and thoughts of others here about it are.

Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2029 Post(s)
    Haven't seen it, but I think I will now. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    335 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Haven't seen it, but I think I will now. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Also, apparently no one on Dappered has any strong feelings one way or the other. I'm a little surprised.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    I've try to keep clothing as long as I can regardless of brand. Jcrew honestly I've been very lucky with. I mostly wear their button downs and sweaters honestly that's it from them.

HM I had one t shirt and it fell apart I won't be buying them anymore super cheap.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I have extraordinarily strong feelings on this. Sadly, most Americans are far too self-absorbed and greedy to care about anyone or anything but themselves and their own pockets.

If you're interested:

http://www.overdressedthebook.com/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
    Sadly, most Americans are far too self-absorbed and greedy to care about anyone or anything but themselves and their own pockets.
    Classy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Actually, it was far classier than what I wanted to say. And tell me what's untrue about it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
    Actually, it was far classier than what I wanted to say. And tell me what's untrue about it.
    I only question whether you know "most Americans" well enough to make such sweeping conclusions about their concerns and priorities.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    I would simply suggest looking around you. I could cite numerous examples that are displays of narcissism, arrogance, lack of empathy, selfishness, etc. We could go on all day. Since I live in America, travel a LOT, and have a lot of exposure to new people all the time, I would say that yes, I have a pretty good handle on the general mentality.So, the non-scientific results of my surveying are that the vast majority don't give a shit how badly someone else is treated, or what economic and environmental costs are involved, as long as they've saved $0.80 on their new shirt. Which will likely shrivel up and fall apart, which perpetuates the cycle.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    It is definitely true that Americans are more about buying cheaper clothes. Its why Jcrew came out with Mercantile. But I don't think it is only in America. This video shows an experiment done in Berlin that exemplifies how much people really like cheap clothes, but also how much people really rethink clothes when told exactly where it is from. It's really interesting. However, I think there is more attention being drawn to where our clothes are coming from. brands like Everlane are starting to do transparency, and Jon Oliver recently did a segment about it.

As for me, Obviously it is not easy to simply say that "I will change my wardrobe into clothes that are ethically made", because that is impossible financially and would make for a really difficult time finding stylish and versatile clothes. I definitely steer clear of brands like GAP, Old Navy, even BR, and try to focus on buying clothes that are versatile and durable, such as stuff from JCrew. I also try to support brands like Everlane by buying their clothes if I need them such as their shirts. It's the best I can do for now.
    Size Guide: 38R Suiting, 29" waist, 30" inseam, 37" chest, 32" sleeve, 15.5" neck