Thread: Experiences with hair thinning?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Experiences with hair thinning?

I'm curious to hear about the experiences/methods of coping/techniques of those losing their hair. I'm in my mid-30's and I've slowly been losing hair in my crown area since my early 20's. The unfortunate part of it is that I have really nice, straight, thick hair all over my head except in the crown, which is at about 15% coverage at this point. Eventually I will look like a monk if I do nothing. As my barber said, "Such a shame....a beautiful head of hair and then they got you right back here" (not sure who 'they' are). Anyway, I think I could deal with it better if I was thinning evenly all over, but the fact that there is such contrast between the crown and the rest of my hair will eventually look very silly. So now I'm caught up in this situation where I'm considering shaving it, but I'm held back because (a) I have a round face and no muscle tone and I don't think I'd look great with a shaved head and (b) my thinning area isn't completely noticeable yet because the hair I do have in the back is very coarse and it looks like I have a full head of hair upfront. That being said, I'd rather err on the side of shaving it too soon (before I have a giant bald spot) then too late.

So, I guess I'm wondering what others in similar situations have done. If you've buzzed/shaved, how did you take the final leap? Were you happy with the results? Did you do anything differently to the rest of your appearance (i.e. wear glasses, grow facial hair)? My questions aren't all that specific; I'd just like to hear about anyone else's experience and/or advice.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    You really just have to take the leap, grab some clippers with no guard and shave in a mohawk or do something funny. At the time my then girlfriend had fun with it clipping in different styles and taking pictures. I was losing hair at the front and it has since started thinning at the back though I keep it shaved down.

Good luck it is a lot to overcome. I realized at 18 I was doomed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Thanks. So with no guard, do you still have some stubble on your head? I think I prefer that to the completely razor-shaved look. Prior to doing it, were you worried that you wouldn't look right with a shaved head? How often do you shave it?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boys Husky View Post
    Thanks. So with no guard, do you still have some stubble on your head? I think I prefer that to the completely razor-shaved look. Prior to doing it, were you worried that you wouldn't look right with a shaved head? How often do you shave it?
    I still have some slight stubble but nothing much. After 3 weeks it starts to look bad and I cut it so every 2 would be optimal. I have my wife do it but if you have a hand mirror and a mirror to reflect the back of your head you should be good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. That's the sound of me getting my $10 buzzcut in Chinatown. Hair loss doesn't look as bad when there's less contrast between the bald spot & the hair.
    Went from pony tail to lean & mean about 10 years ago ahead of a long trip where I wouldn't have shower access every day, never went back. Love the quick dry/never comb nature of it.
    Make sure to fade the edges, don't think it looks right if you just buzz #2 all over.
    Our illustrious leader's comments on the subject - http://dappered.com/2014/07/7-reason...-worth-a-shot/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Yeah, to your point on contrast, I think I'll have to buzz it pretty close all over so that the bald spot doesn't stick out. I do love the idea of it being low/no maintenance and I'll also be able to throw on a hat when it's freezing out without worrying about messing up my hair. I'm thinking if I keep some face stubble and wear my glasses more frequently, it might offset the fact that I don't really have the head for it (my face is round with soft features). I'm probably a perfect hair transplant candidate, but I can't justify that with a wife and kid at home. It would be way too selfish considering the cost. I need to just take the plunge and move on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    just buzz it. you'll be nervous and hate it at first. you'll assume people are paying more attention to it then they are. some may even ask you about it at first. be confident. i've been doing it for 10 years and it's more accepted now then ever before. when asked, i'm up front about it or i use a little humor.. why do you shave your head? "eh, i hit my mid 20's and there was hair where i didn't want hair and less hair where i wanted it." people like confidence, and you'll like yourself for it. it looks much better then thinning or balding hair. go for it, and don't look back. for reference, i use the lowest setting on a buzzer from target wtihout any guard. i do it 2-3x a week. takes less then 5 min each time. clean up is a breeze. it feels awesome in summer and it's easy to wear a hat in winter.

good luck

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    154 Post(s)
    A topic near and dear to my heart.

Pretty much the whole top of my head started thinning in college. I stuck with my normal cut (short but not buzzed) for awhile, but I started to notice the phenomenon of my hairs kind of clumping, like the individual hairs were cuddled for warmth with the departure of so many of their fallen comrades. Overall, not a great look. So I started getting it buzzed. I did mine gradually as my hair thinned. Started with having a barber do like a 4 guard on top and a 2 on the sides. A couple years later I bought some clippers and started doing a 2 guard all over. Then a 1 a year or two later. Now I'm at no guard (although i usually still keep the clippers at the long setting). I honestly don't plan to ever go smooth shaven, but who knows, that might change eventually.

I realize that my thinning sounds a little different than yours, so maybe the same wouldn't apply, but I'd say experiment with just a shorter cut before going the whole way.

I've had a beard throughout most of the transition, so it wasn't really a change, but i do still like the look. The only thing I really do differently is keep the sideburn portion of my beard trimmed shorty. I'm not a huge fan of the beard just sort of ending at the top of the ear, so I do kind of a quick fade from beard length to head hair length.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    There are really two options:

buzz/shave like others have said
    go to a doc and see about fin ( / do research about minox)

I think those drugs tend to do better with crown balding than hairline balding. On the down side, depending on the pattern and face people can get away with a receding hairline for quite some time and it doesn't always look that bad.
    Last edited by Crims; January 30th, 2015 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crims View Post
    There are really two options:
    go to a doc and see about fin ( / do research about minox)
    I take minox now and I think it has curbed some of the loss. I used to take finasteride, but it made my penis go to sleep for a few months so I stopped.