Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality of G.H. Bass & Co shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Right shoe is taller than the left

Quote Originally Posted by justin t View Post
    I bought a pair of bucks. The first time I wore them I noticed a lot of rubbing against the outside of my left ankle. It became more and more painful and by the time I had a chance to take them off, my ankle was pretty torn up. I was wondering why it was only on the left foot, so I looked at them closely and noticed that the height of the left shoe around the ankle rose a full centimeter higher than the right shoe. It was just enough to cut into the bottom of that ankle bone that sticks out.

So, there's definitely a chance you could get a crap pair. Make sure there's a good return policy.
    I bought 3 pairs of shoes at the outlet 4 hours away from home and realized that all three were defective. The right side of each pair were taller by a 4 millimeters where it hits the Achilles. I was wondering why the back of my right foot was so jacked after wearing these. I thought there was something wrong with my foot until I checked each pair. Such a waste of money.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    626 Post(s)
    bass is a shell of their former wonderful selves,

Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1401 Post(s)
    I have two pairs of saddle shoes that I bought at an outlet. The shoes have been great and only now 2 yrs later - am I going to retire them. Keep in mind I wasn't wearing these shoes on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I think hand sewn on last refers to the upper, but I don't know much about shoe construction. I also have a hard time imagining some machine was not involved.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    I have one pair of Bass saddle shoes. They are about 3 years old and have held up pretty well. So the construction seems to be reasonably good. The materials though could be better. The leather quality isn't great. When I replace this pair I'll just save some extra money and buy AE or similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I see people bemoaning the quality of Bass shoes all the time, and I just don't see it. I've owned Bass shoes since at least since the mid-80s, and I still think they're fine shoes. I tend to be hard on shoes, I'm not super diligent about shoe care, and my feet also just tend to wear them out, and yet Bass shoes tend to hold up longer than other shoes for me. I currently own four pair:

1. A pair of olive bucks that are now 6 years old, bought at DSW (don't remember the exact model). Other than some slight wear around the top edges of the quarters, that is only visible if you are holding the shoes in your hands and looking at them closely, you'd swear these shoes were new. And they're really comfortable.

2. A pair of Proctor bucks in oyster (off-white) bought on Amazon that have now been worn for two summer seasons. Granted, I'm only wearing these shoes 4 months out of the year, but they still look like new, and though were at first a bit stiff, have broken in comfortably.

3. A pair of Hampton leather deck shoes that are 5 years old, bought at a Bass factory outlet store. The insoles fell apart last year, and now the soles are starting to split at the break, but they're still wearable, and I sail, so these shoes have been soaked in saltwater several times, plus worn all year long, especially in the summer in Houston without socks, and they're what I wear when it's raining and I don't want to get other shoes wet. For a shoe to have lasted as long as these have under these conditions is frankly a miracle.

4. I call them canvas deck shoes, but Bass calls them lace up sneakers (the kind with the rawhide laces and natural canvas upper. I just bought them last weekend, so we'll see how they wear, but considering the durability of the above shoes, I expect great things from them.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    I bought a pair of their leather-soled double monks a few years ago and had to trash them because a hole wore through the sole within six months of wearing them twice a week at most, and they weren't expensive/nice enough to be worth re-soling. Got some suede Meermin double monks (rubber sole) instead and I've had them for almost three years, wearing 2-3 times a week and still going strong.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    They're meh, might last a couple years but will look good while they do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I've never bought anything from Bass but it looks like everything is made of Genuine Leather (the lowest quality) so I would only consider them a beater or throw away shoe. If you get them on the cheap and they serve their purpose for a year or two, great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    I have a pair of canvas sneakers from them. They are still holding up well after a year of regular wear and tear, and I'm certainly not gentle with my shoes.