Thread: Jay Butler - shoes and leather goods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Jay Butler - shoes and leather goods

Greetings Dappered Threads,

I would like to introduce both myself and Jay Butler to the Dappered Threads forums. Jay Butler is a brand specializing in men's shoes and leather goods. I am Justin Jeffers, the founder and creative director of Jay Butler. A few years back I realized that there were no good options for a nice penny loafer or driving that cost less than $200; or at least none that I liked or thought of to be a good value. So I set about to create a brand that could provide men with a great casual shoe that wouldn't break the bank, the result of these efforts is Jay Butler.

Jay Butler's primary focus is on casual shoes; penny loafers, driving loafers and the like. Shoes that can take you from the board room to the tap room for years to come with ease and comfort. All shoes are constructed using traditional moccasin methods and are hand sewn on the last. Leather soles are Blake stitched and our uppers made from suede and full grain leather. We strive to bring you a premium product at an affordable price. All shoes are priced between $145 and $175, which includes shipping, returns and exchanges. Prices are able to be kept low by using a direct to consumer model, selling only at JayButler.com.

If you would like to learn more about Jay Butler, please refer to our FAQ and Who Is Jay Butler pages. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to email us at Help@JayButler.com or post in this thread. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Justin L Jeffers, Founder & Creative Director

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Butler View Post
    Greetings Dappered Threads,

I would like to introduce both myself and Jay Butler to the Dappered Threads forums. Jay Butler is a brand specializing in men's shoes and leather goods. I am Justin Jeffers, the founder and creative director of Jay Butler. A few years back I realized that there were no good options for a nice penny loafer or driving that cost less than $200; or at least none that I liked or thought of to be a good value. So I set about to create a brand that could provide men with a great casual shoe that wouldn't break the bank, the result of these efforts is Jay Butler.

Jay Butler's primary focus is on casual shoes; penny loafers, driving loafers and the like. Shoes that can take you from the board room to the tap room for years to come with ease and comfort. All shoes are constructed using traditional moccasin methods and are hand sewn on the last. Leather soles are Blake stitched and our uppers made from suede and full grain leather. We strive to bring you a premium product at an affordable price. All shoes are priced between $145 and $175, which includes shipping, returns and exchanges. Prices are able to be kept low by using a direct to consumer model, selling only at JayButler.com.

If you would like to learn more about Jay Butler, please refer to our FAQ and Who Is Jay Butler pages. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to email us at Help@JayButler.com or post in this thread. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Justin L Jeffers, Founder & Creative Director
    I found your shop via your blog, which I admittedly binge read once every few months. I like your writing style and respect your opinion on classic menswear. I especially like your posts regarding visits to physical stores and your experiences with various MTM suiting companies. Your online shop looks like it has some high quality goods if in the market for a new wallet or pair of loafers. Keep up the good work, and best of luck.

Best,
    Marc

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Justin,
    Getting the right fit is so important, and with that in mind, can you offer any comparison of the last used for your Cromwell Penny Loafer and other widely available brands' models?

Personally, I need a shoe that is wide enough in the forefoot without being loose in the heel. For example, Allen Edmonds shoes are excellent, but after trying on half a dozen or more pairs at my local Nordstrom store, I can safely say that their 65 last doesn't work for me. On the other hand, Ecco shoes fit very well, but I'd like something more stylish, and with better quality leather than what I have seen from Ecco lately. Your shoes look very nice, and I'm looking for a starting point to know if the fit might be "in the ballpark" for me.

Thanks much.
    Matt Dalton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Matt,

Thank you for the kind words. That is often a hard compromise. To be honest, I do not know the exact lasts of any makers well enough to do direct comparisons. Although, on the whole, I would say that if anything, Jay Butlers tend toward the narrower side of things both in the heel and around the ball. some gents with slightly wider feet (but not quite and E width), have gone a half size up from their normal. However, I should note that the shoes will stretch a little bit around the ball, they will not stretch lengthwise or really around the heel. On average, the shoes seem to fit in line with top siders and AE. If you are curious, you can put in an order and try them on, maybe even order 2 sizes for comparison. Shipping, returns and exchanges are free so there is no financial risk on your end. I am sorry that I can't give you specific comparison right now, I will work on getting some going forward.
    @Marc999 - Thank you for reading the blog and for the compliments, hope it has been of use. Thank you for the kind words on Jay Butler as well, if you ever have any questions, please reach out as necessary.

-Justin

Quote Originally Posted by mattdalton View Post
    Justin,
    Getting the right fit is so important, and with that in mind, can you offer any comparison of the last used for your Cromwell Penny Loafer and other widely available brands' models?

Personally, I need a shoe that is wide enough in the forefoot without being loose in the heel. For example, Allen Edmonds shoes are excellent, but after trying on half a dozen or more pairs at my local Nordstrom store, I can safely say that their 65 last doesn't work for me. On the other hand, Ecco shoes fit very well, but I'd like something more stylish, and with better quality leather than what I have seen from Ecco lately. Your shoes look very nice, and I'm looking for a starting point to know if the fit might be "in the ballpark" for me.

Thanks much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Thanks for the detailed answer, Justin. One more question if I can - do your suede models stretch any more than the smooth leather ones?
    Matt Dalton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdalton View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer, Justin. One more question if I can - do your suede models stretch any more than the smooth leather ones?
    Most welcome Matt. I do not think either type of leather stretches more than the other. I have not noticed a difference and no customers or testers have noted anything along those lines either. At the end of the day, there is the lining leather to take into account, which would help to even out any differences, if there was one. As it is the same leather for suede and full grain models. I should also note that the amount that the leather will stretch/break in is no more than any other brand's shoes that are made with a moccasin construction, so the shoes are not abnormal in that respect. Lastly, I will go further and say that both the suede and full grain break in at the same rate.

-Justin