Thread: Does anyone have the Frye James wingtip?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)

Does anyone have the Frye James wingtip?

I'm thinking of ordering a pair. I'm wondering if anyone here has worn them before and can comment on the quality, sizing, (real life) appearance, etc. I appreciate any input.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Yessir, I have them in brown. I think they fit into a weird dimension between casual and dress. They don't have the medallion so they don't quite look right with nice pants or a suit. The wingtips might seem to look off with jeans to some. I think they look great with jeans. I wear them with khakis/button down at work as well. My office is extremely casual, a sport coat gets funny looks. So if your office is more formal, you might have issues. I wish I would have gotten a different color because the brown is a very plain average brown. I have never owned anything like an AE so I don't have that experience to compare, but I do think they are a good quality leather. Definitely more robust than something from DSW or BR. I've had them for a year, worn them once a twice a week since and look right out of the box still (using shoe trees). Sizing wise, I wear 10.5 in dress, I bought these in 10.5 and fit fine.

On a side note - I also have their james oxford and the james lace up boot (I swear I don't work for, nor own any stock in frye). The oxfords seem to have a thicker more comfortable sole than the wingtip (wingtip is not uncomfortable in my opinion). The boot - these feel like body armor. They've conformed to my feet perfectly, I feel like they were made for me specifically. I cannot say enough good things. I don't know why frye doesn't get more mentions on this site. Maybe because they are not quite dress, not quite super casual? I do think i'll be buying from them again.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    I have a pair and can't really say more than pyourne already has. I love my frye wingtips. I actually think mine look pretty good with jeans (they're a darker, chocolate brown). And I wear mine at the office with dark slacks regularly (fairly dressy office - slacks or suit every day). Comfort is great. I walk to work many days (1.25 miles each way) and will wear them for the commute. Fit is true to size. I'm a 10.5, and the 10.5's I got fit well.

I only have two complaints, and they're both fairly minor. (1) The brogues weren't cleaned when I received the shoes. So I had to go through and pull out little flecks of leather in each brogue from where the brogues had been originally punched. (2) A rivet on one lace eyehole came off. I was relacing the shoe and trying to pull the lace through the eyehole - and off came the rivet. It was on the underside, so no cosmetic defect resulted.

Even considering those complaints - They're probably my favorite pair of shoes. They look great. Feel great. Fit great. I'll order more. I've been flirting with the idea of the james oxford, my current need is for something much, much dressier.

Last thing - as compared to other brands... The heel is more comfortable that the Johnston Murphy's I own. And the Frye's are far more durable. They're also more comfortable than the Cole Haan's I have. The 10.5 on the Frye seems to be just a little wider than the 10.5 Cole Haan - which apparently works well for my foot.

All in all - I recommend them. They are very good looking shoes that are very comfortable.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Thanks, guys. I was wondering if Frye was just a fashion brand, or if they had the quality to match their price. It sounds like they're a safe investment, so I think I'll take the plunge.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    Thanks, guys. I was wondering if Frye was just a fashion brand, or if they had the quality to match their price. It sounds like they're a safe investment, so I think I'll take the plunge.
    Did you acquire these & if so, what are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    I did buy them, but I ended up returning them because they were a bit too small and because the styling didn't really fit any of my needs at the time.

There was also an odd defect in the storm welt, in that on one shoe it was too tall and sort of folded over the sole, but for the price it was not a big deal. I was generally impressed with the quality of the shoe, and for the $80 or so I paid at 6pm, they were an absolute steal. I'm surprised we don't hear more about Frye on dappered, given how easy it is to find them at a substantial discount. Maybe it's because of the brand's fondness for distressing. Or maybe it's because every Frye shoe has a Frye logo stamped on the heel.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    @pyourne , @C.Dubs : I've got the boot version of these. Am curious how you guys care for them. Do you polish or condition only?