Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What menswear or streetwear item do you not have a use for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)

What menswear or streetwear item do you not have a use for?

It seems like every season has some must have menswear items like topcoats in the winter or trench coats for the rainy season. In this area you can even throw in suits and ties due to the nature of your job. Similar to this are other items in workwear/streetwear that you have no use for such as work boots or chambray shirts.

My list:
    Trench coat - I am an umbrella guy which is from my car to office building and back
    Top coat - Similar reason as my car is garaged and I just walk into the office with a suit or sport coat with a scarf even today at 10* F
    Work boots - I don't need 1000 mile boots or similar items. I like when items can pull double duty such as Dalton's or some similar dress cap toe boot
    Pocket square - I end up with a poof every time and the only time I like them is in white
    Barbour jacket - I feel I would let the brand down city dwelling in a Barbour though I may plunk down $50 for a waxed cotton hat though...

I am sure there are some other items but this topic came to mind after seeing threads mentioning needing a specific item and I can't help but think, "I would never use that."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    I am with you on the work boots. Besides having no need for them, I don't like how big they make my (already big) feet look.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I am with you on the work boots. Besides having no need for them, I don't like how big they make my (already big) feet look.
    I wholeheartedly agree. As much as I'd like to wear some nice boots, I'm a beanpole, and big boots look ridiculous on me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree. As much as I'd like to wear some nice boots, I'm a beanpole, and big boots look ridiculous on me.
    You should check out Viberg boots! They are crazy expensive, but they look much sleeker than the typical work boot. I'm lusting after a pair, but it will probably be a long time before I can justify the purchase.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    I'm just not a pocket square guy. And I've never been interested in a PTB either.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Dress boots, like the Daltons or cheaper JCP options. Love how they look, but just don't have a place in my wardrobe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I agree on the work boots.

I really like the look of a pocket square but I haven't entered that arena to date. Mostly I am self-conscious wearing one, so I end up doing so 1-2 per year. It is in my plans to use them more. Regarding work boots, it's a no go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I also don't see the point of dress boots.If im getting dressed up I'm opting for a shoe. If I want to wear boots, I want a boot that looks like a boot, not a shoe. Wing tipped dress boots are the main culprits here by far.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Pocket Squares for sure. I don't wear suits at all and seems weird otherwise. I have a pair of Islays that I guess are work boots? They are definitely not dress boots. I also don't own a trench coat, but I think it would be nice to have one but not necessary. I own the rest of the items on the list though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I agree about the pocket squares, I just don't wear them much.

Really any boots for me at this point in my life. I moved to Florida almost 2 years ago and the ones that I have from when I moved hardly ever get worn. I do hope to move north at some point so then I may need them again, but at this point, it's boat shoes in the summer and moc-toe bluchers in the "winter".